Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #239

We have 2 local cracker barrels and there is no way I would take our MH even by itself with no toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #240
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
We have 2 local cracker barrels and there is no way I would take our MH even by itself with no toad.

I think those Cracker Barrel spots are mainly for Class B's & C's.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #241

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Hahaha! It takes all kinds.

My peeve is just the opposite. I call those who pile up in the left lane because they see "right lane closed ahead" the me-firsters. Especially those who decide they're going to block two lanes because they don't want anyone to pass them, even though there's a mile to go before the closure. Zippering is the law here in California. It's courteous, doesn't back up the highway unnecessarily, and works quite well.
I'm a California resident....have been all my life.
I was taught that when in traffic that must merge, that it's every other car. Never knew they called this "zippering". All I know is that I'm very impatient with people who can't seem to understand this simple concept.
In this state, especially on major freeways (the 405 in Orange county comes to mind immediately) during high traffic times, people routinely go beyond the merge area.....OFTEN into the right shoulder emergency stop line, to get ahead of everyone. THOSE people I will harass and not give in to.
It's so bad here in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, that I also see many folks who like me, are peeved and won't let them in either.
Truth be known, I always acquiesce to these punks because it's the law that I let them in. It really chaps my hyde.
sharonlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #242

What's your "pet peeve" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think those Cracker Barrel spots are mainly for Class B's & C's.

RV parking for a class B? I think I would be peeved to find a class B occupying the last truck/RV slot at the rest stop.

I have parked at Cracker Barrel many times with 40'. Something about the catfish. Never a problem. If I want to leave the toad attached I just pull around back to the "employee" parking which always seems to be empty.

One night there were two semi's next to me in the RV slots. Granted, they did extend across the roadway and into the parking spaces on the other side. Like I said, it's the catfish.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #243

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
We were at a campground in Washington where we noticed a group of tent camping yahoos had brought an old sofa with them. I thought, what a neat idea for sitting around the campfire, but on their last night, the daddy yahoo commenced burning the sofa. The thick black smoke was so bad, someone called the fire department. We were parked far enough away and had the wind in our favor, but those poor people parked near them had everything covered in soot. They were cited and kicked out. Of course, they loudly blamed the campers who complained for ruining their camping trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyandKris View Post
Ours is next door campers who burn plastic water jugs and styrofoam dishes, etc. causing tons of toxic smoke causing you to have to go inside and causing you to shut all windows and doors so as not to get lung disease. DUH
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #244
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
RV parking for a class B? I think I would be peeved to find a class B occupying the last truck/RV slot at the rest stop.

I have parked at Cracker Barrel many times with 40'. Something about the catfish. Never a problem. If I want to leave the toad attached I just pull around back to the "employee" parking which always seems to be empty.

One night there were two semi's next to me in the RV slots. Granted, they did extend across the roadway and into the parking spaces on the other side. Like I said, it's the catfish.

Man, you must LOVE that catfish!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #245

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Yes, it is called "zippering," and it has been in the driver's handbook as long as I can remember.

"It works as follows: in the event of an impending lane closure, drivers should fill in both lanes in equal measure. Within a few car lengths of a lane ending, both lanes' cars should take turns filling in the open lane and resuming full speed."

Most people jump over as soon as they see the merge sign, which is often a mile or more back, and then get mad at people who rightly pass them in the lane they abandoned. It would make more sense if traffic departments would place the sign right at the lane closure. An advertising campaign to teach drivers might help, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonlb View Post
I'm a California resident....have been all my life.
I was taught that when in traffic that must merge, that it's every other car. Never knew they called this "zippering". All I know is that I'm very impatient with people who can't seem to understand this simple concept.
In this state, especially on major freeways (the 405 in Orange county comes to mind immediately) during high traffic times, people routinely go beyond the merge area.....OFTEN into the right shoulder emergency stop line, to get ahead of everyone. THOSE people I will harass and not give in to.
It's so bad here in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, that I also see many folks who like me, are peeved and won't let them in either.
Truth be known, I always acquiesce to these punks because it's the law that I let them in. It really chaps my hyde.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #246

Gas cars that use the pumps that also have diesel instead of one of the 10 open gas-only pumps because the diesel ones are on the ends and more convenient.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:59 AM   #247

The people that have to cut you off thinking you can stop on a dime. We have found our best position is behind a semi going the same speed as we are. These guys don't want to cut between us and the truck so they just keep moving past us and we don't have to adjust our speed.
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Yes, it is called "zippering," and it has been in the driver's handbook as long as I can remember.

"It works as follows: in the event of an impending lane closure, drivers should fill in both lanes in equal measure. Within a few car lengths of a lane ending, both lanes' cars should take turns filling in the open lane and resuming full speed."

Most people jump over as soon as they see the merge sign, which is often a mile or more back, and then get mad at people who rightly pass them in the lane they abandoned. It would make more sense if traffic departments would place the sign right at the lane closure. An advertising campaign to teach drivers might help, too.

When I was working in road construction we tried all sorts of wording in our variable message boards to get drivers to do just that. We even tried the message "Use both lanes. Merge signal ahead" and had a metering traffic signal that would be red in one lane and green in the other lane, then switch back. Traffic would still pile up in one lane and then at the last second switch lanes to get the green signal.

I tried to eliminate the words left or right and just say "One lane traffic ahead" and funnel the two lanes into a newly created center lane.
None of the ideas we tried worked because drivers would create dangerous conditions by not merging smoothly. We saw one problem was that large trucks accelerate slower than cars so several cars would zoom and squeeze in before the truck causing the truck to slam on his brakes, backing traffic up in his lane. We even posted police at the merge area, but that simply caused drivers to look at the police, then rearend the car in front of them!

One day I was adjusting the message on the variable message board that was 2 miles ahead of the closure when a driver stop in the high speed lane lower her window and ask me which lane she should be in!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #249

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When I was working in road construction we tried all sorts of wording in our variable message boards to get drivers to do just that. We even tried the message "Use both lanes. Merge signal ahead" and had a metering traffic signal that would be red in one lane and green in the other lane, then switch back. Traffic would still pile up in one lane and then at the last second switch lanes to get the green signal.

I tried to eliminate the words left or right and just say "One lane traffic ahead" and funnel the two lanes into a newly created center lane.
None of the ideas we tried worked because drivers would create dangerous conditions by not merging smoothly. We saw one problem was that large trucks accelerate slower than cars so several cars would zoom and squeeze in before the truck causing the truck to slam on his brakes, backing traffic up in his lane. We even posted police at the merge area, but that simply caused drivers to look at the police, then rearend the car in front of them!

One day I was adjusting the message on the variable message board that was 2 miles ahead of the closure when a driver stop in the high speed lane lower her window and ask me which lane she should be in!

Herding cattle is easier.

Glad you made it out with your life Bigd9, incredible.

W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #250

LOL! I hope you pointed to the highway exit lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When I was working in road construction we tried all sorts of wording in our variable message boards to get drivers to do just that.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #251

I was up at the buckaloons campground in upper part of Pennsylvania. A great little Federal Park young man up there by the name of Mark is a one man show. He keeps he keeps the campgrounds in extremely good shape. We were up there from Monday through till this Friday. Some wild woman showed up Tuesday evening. Wanting to reserve a ton of spaces for her family. Expected me to move so she can keep everyone together just flat out told me I was going to move. I guess you know what I told her. We were leaving today anyway we wanted to be home for the weekend. She had the nerve to knock on the door first thing this morning before we were out of bed wanting to know how soon we were going to be out of there. I kid you not some people have their nerve. That's my pet peeve. And they were the noisiest group you ever heard. Hey didn't stop the better half and I from having a good few days for a Shakedown Cruise. But you want to talk about pet peeves. Wow! This did just actually happen.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I was up at the buckaloons campground in upper part of Pennsylvania. A great little Federal Park young man up there by the name of Mark is a one man show. He keeps he keeps the campgrounds in extremely good shape. We were up there from Monday through till this Friday. Some wild woman showed up Tuesday evening. Wanting to reserve a ton of spaces for her family. Expected me to move so she can keep everyone together just flat out told me I was going to move. I guess you know what I told her. We were leaving today anyway we wanted to be home for the weekend. She had the nerve to knock on the door first thing this morning before we were out of bed wanting to know how soon we were going to be out of there. I kid you not some people have their nerve. That's my pet peeve. And they were the noisiest group you ever heard. Hey didn't stop the better half and I from having a good few days for a Shakedown Cruise. But you want to talk about pet peeves. Wow! This did just actually happen.

Frequently, check out times are often something like 11am, and check in times closer to 2pm. I am the type of getting up and out, and am often out before the 11am, but your story might have inspired me to a long, slow breakfast meal, and a leisurely pack up. Problem is, me choosing a boorish reaction to her lack of manners would not improve her, but would make me feel like I allowed myself to be diminished by lowering myself to her level.

I would have invited her to breakfast. I would have also told her that she is the only reason for the leisurely departure. (but after I said it, and she declined breakfast, I would likely do what I would have anyway, and been out early)

Of course, if check in time was 2 PM, and I shared that with her, she might actually come to breakfast, and maybe learn how she affects others...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote