Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 11:34 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
You just said a mouthful. I don't know how many on here that belong to IRV2, have completed high school and or, any version of college. And, did they pay attention in school or college? Sometimes it's VERY HARD to determine just what is the problem an OP is trying to convey or, ask about because, it's so abstractly written. Nobodies perfect. We're all not English majors. But, there was some basic English and sentence structure in all of our schooling.

Not only that but, in today's computers, the AUTO CORRECT features, i.e. spell check, blue, gray, and red underlining of some words, terms, sentences and more, give LARGE HINTS as to a problem in the way someone has expressed any of those. All that's needed is a right click on the underlined word or phrase etc. and, the auto correct will suggest a better way of writing something.

To me, it just looks and reads better if I try and make sure I don't look like a caveman did the post/thread/writing. It's just not that hard to proofread your own message and see if it reads and sounds correct and you're conveying your thoughts/question(s) correctly so that others don't have to decipher your post(s).

Usually, if you call someone out or, even make a suggestion as to the proper way of posting or, spelling or, anything that relates to correct projection of one's ability to post, you get flamed to death for it. Well, I've got a built in flame suit so, bring it on.
Scott
You shouldn't disparage cavemen like that. Many of the posters on here have worse grammar than cavemen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #72

iRV2 No Limits Club
When did "probably" become "prolly"
or "drawer" become "draw"?

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #73

Quote:
You just said a mouthful. I don't know how many on here that belong to IRV2, have completed high school and or, any version of college. And, did they pay attention in school or college? Sometimes it's VERY HARD to determine just what is the problem an OP is trying to convey or, ask about because, it's so abstractly written. Nobodies perfect. We're all not English majors. But, there was some basic English and sentence structure in all of our schooling.

Not only that but, in today's computers, the AUTO CORRECT features, i.e. spell check, blue, gray, and red underlining of some words, terms, sentences and more, give LARGE HINTS as to a problem in the way someone has expressed any of those. All that's needed is a right click on the underlined word or phrase etc. and, the auto correct will suggest a better way of writing something.

To me, it just looks and reads better if I try and make sure I don't look like a caveman did the post/thread/writing. It's just not that hard to proofread your own message and see if it reads and sounds correct and you're conveying your thoughts/question(s) correctly so that others don't have to decipher your post(s).

Usually, if you call someone out or, even make a suggestion as to the proper way of posting or, spelling or, anything that relates to correct projection of one's ability to post, you get flamed to death for it. Well, I've got a built in flame suit so, bring it on.

Scott

Hmmmm... Maybe you've wandered into the wrong place.

Isn't looking for proper grammar on an RV forum sort of like looking for performance and handling tips on a dump truck forum!
Old 06-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #74

Quote:

<snip>
You said a mouthful. I don't know how many here have completed high school and/or any amount college. If they did, did they pay attention? Sometimes it's VERY HARD to determine the problem the OP is trying to convey or ask about because, the question is so abstractly written. Nobody is perfect; we're not all English majors. But, at some point during our schooling we all learned basic English and sentence structure.

LOL, thought I'd clean that first paragraph up a little for ya!
Old 06-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #75
IC2

I will not become a member of the Word Police (spelling/grammar) on an internet forum. There are just too many regional and ethnic differences plus education levels of the participants which doesn't make them stupid. If they wont or don't capitalize or punctuate, I have to move on though. Run on sentences, where I tend to be guilty, also send me away. In many cases the written word errors may have a lot to do with typing and then not proof reading. The spoken word, see regional and ethnic differences above.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #76

Isn't looking for proper english on an RV forum kind of like looking for performance and handling tips on a dump truck site?
Old 06-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #77
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Scott

Shouldn't that be "nobody's" ? We ALL make mistakes! Just saying.........

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with autocorrect is that it doesn't check grammar. I know I post almost exclusively from my phone because it is easier than trying to get on a government computer while at work, and currently we are working 6/12 hour days (6 days a week 12 hours each day minimum) so my "home" (meaning a shipping container) time is spent talking to the wife and sleeping.

Where was I going with this? Oh! Right, autocorrect. Since it can't tell if you have used the proper form of a word, it can't help with word replacement, and English is already a hard enough language to speak. (Even with it being the ONLY language I speak.)

-Patrick
Plukas350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
You shouldn't disparage cavemen like that. Many of the posters on here have worse grammar than cavemen.
F4Gary,
It took me a while to get up from the floor laughing at that one, nice!
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Hmmmm... Maybe you've wandered into the wrong place.

vtwinwilly,
Well, it's like that on all forums, not just this one.

Isn't looking for proper grammar on an RV forum sort of like looking for performance and handling tips on a dump truck forum!
Is it really that hard to USE some of the education folks received while growing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis View Post
You said a mouthful. I don't know how many here have completed high school and/or any amount college. If they did, did they pay attention? Sometimes it's VERY HARD to determine the problem the OP is trying to convey or ask about because, the question is so abstractly written. Nobody is perfect; we're not all English majors. But, at some point during our schooling we all learned basic English and sentence structure.

LOL, thought I'd clean that first paragraph up a little for ya!
You know, I try and reason out, just what sounds and looks right, not to mention what IS ACTUALLY RIGHT when writing. Thanks for the help.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Shouldn't that be "nobody's" ? We ALL make mistakes! Just saying.........
MSHappyCampers,
You betcha we all make mistakes. I make plenty of them. I just give it the old "college try" so to speak, so that folks get the point of my question/statement/issue, without scratching a bald spot on their head, trying figure out just what I'm asking or saying. Thanks for the correction. Most of the time, Spell check and grammar check give me some sort of indication that, something is not right with my writing. I try and pat attention to what they're suggesting so I can remember it for the next time.
Scott.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #80

Funny thing is, even the experts argue about what's acceptable and make changes over the years as elements of vocabulary/grammar/punctuation come in and out of favor.

I remember a couple of years ago I was helping my then High School aged son with an English paper. We had a punctuation question so I pulled my 25 year old MLA Handbook off the shelf and we used it as our guide. After all, how much could the English language change? The teacher marked off for our punctuation. When I cited the MLA Handbook (from 1986) she quickly informed me that there had been many changes since 1986. Oooops!

Just don't use the word "Irregardless" and I can handle about anything!

We all have our pet peeves!
Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Isn't looking for proper english on an RV forum kind of like looking for performance and handling tips on a dump truck site?
Yep your right !!!! I cant do punt u ation and my spel chick is busy cooking supper. But ' I wrote this very slow .
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I once supervised an employee who would say "floormat" when he meant "format". I would gently correct him because he had contact with the public and I felt that would negatively impact our image. Well, it never worked because he continued to say "floormat" until he retired.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #83

Workhorse Chassis Owner
And as another said, "irregardless" is a pet peeve of mine. It is NOT a word, therefore is NOT a synonym for "regardless".

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #84

Ebonics making it's way out of the hood

Tags
ace, replace