Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #113

Ford Super Duty Owner
This one has not been mentioned but it is used all the time on TV, movies, radio and just every day language. It's the use of the additional word, "out" to place emphasis on what a person it trying to convey. For example.

I need to change OUT my oil.
Why don't you change OUT that light bulb.
Separate OUT the clothes.
Check OUT the movies.
Check OUT the restaurants.

It really is not necessary to ADD the word OUT when using words like: Change, check, or separate.
I need to change my oil.
I want to check on a hotel.
Please take care of the garbage.

When and why did we begin to add the word OUT when speaking to convey a needed/wanted action?

If you don't believe this has become an issue just listen to general conversation anywhere you can and you will begin to pick out the terrible extra usage of the word OUT and it is an absolute waste of words. IMHO

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:08 AM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
This could go on and on. It is however, interesting.
My parents pronounced words differently. We are southerners and proud to be. Pa went to school two weeks in his life time. But when I knew him, (i am the 12th.) he wrote a lot and he had a good "hand write". If I may say it that way. And he could speak to any level of educated people.
Ma went to the 5th grade. She spelled words just like they sound. Sometimes, I had a hard time reading what she wrote.
In speaking, they both did a good job of properly using little pronouns, conjunctions etc.
TeJay, it is a common and understood term in the south for a construction worker to say "I changed out the front entry door". Now, should I put the period before or after the quotation mark?
I'll try to remember to not say I got to change out the door. But, rather, say I have to replace the front door.
I'm not jabbing at you TeJay. It's all in fun and I love it.
I think the teacher wrote what she knows to be correct and I'm glad she posted. Now, we can accept or reject it. Usually we make our minds to keep our customs or try to change for the better. I think it would sound better if I said, make our minds UP. The word up just makes it sound better.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:34 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
How about the improper use of the pronouns "I" and "me."

CORRECT: My wife and I went on a trip.

INCORRECT: Linda went on a trip with my wife and I.
Take out the conjunction and you would not say, "Linda went on a trip with I."

CORRECT: Linda went on a trip with my wife and me.

It seems there are very few people who know how to correctly use these two little words today.
What is even more common, and wrong, is this usage:

Instead of "My wife and I went on a trip".

It is "Me and my wife went on a trip".

"Me and......" instead of "...... and I". When did this start getting taught? Must be taught, as it seems well over 1/2 the people use it this way.

What is wrong with our English teachers?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:35 AM   #116

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bo no offense taken. Yes it is interesting. I was born and raised in PA. When the evening meal was over my MOM would tell the girls, "Red the table off." Which means to clear the dirty dishes. I do not know if it is red or read. And yes the period is supposed to go before the last".

We also called rubber bands gum bands. I believe those are called colloquialisms or different words used to describe things and they are prevalent all around the country.

How about the correct usage of the two words take and bring?? I was taught that you always take something with you and you bring something to someone.

"Take your Mother to the store." Bring the flowers to me.

As far as the extra usage of the word OUT it might be a southern thing but I hear it all over national TV news all the time. Yes I do believe it is used to give what we are saying a bit more emphasis. We want what we say to be meaningful so we add more descriptors as emphasis. "You need to check that OUT."

We were always told not to never end a sentence with a preposition. That is a very tough one to correct.

TeJay
Old 07-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #117

We were always told not to never end a sentence with a preposition. That is a very tough one to correct.

double negative
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #118

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
English is a living language and constantly evolves. If you want always by the rules, try Latin.
Illegitimi non carborundum est !

Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
If they're not willing to talk to him long enough to get to KNOW him, then he doesn't need to hang out with them anyway.

Given a choice, I'd rather be around nice people with less than perfect grammar, than snobs who speak perfect English. (I AM aware there's a middle ground between those two points.)
Agree with you 100%, however, there are times when it's about more than hanging out. Job interviews, business dealings, and sales presentations come to mind. And, yes, there are well-educated snobs with perfect English who don't come close to being as smart or as good a person as DH. But, sometimes they hold all the cards for the given situation. For these times I'd rather be on a somewhat level playing field.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #120

One of my pet peeves is the over use of the term "Democratic Party" especially on tv.

Our two party system has the Republican Party and the Democrat Party.

There is no Democratic Party.
KSagal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #121

The as in the 101, the 405, etc. Just silly
Old 07-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Actually, I followed your link, did you?

Oh Man... your funny! Is this a trick question?

Of course I followed it. How do you think I found it?

The point was that the word does exist in the Merriam-Webster dictionary so it is recognized as a word. It's no wonder the definition for "preventive" is used as the terms "preventive" and "preventative" are considered to be synonymous.

As Bart Simpson would say... "Ay Caramba!!!"
Old 07-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Oh Man... your funny! Is this a trick question?

Of course I followed it. How do you think I found it?

The point was that the word does exist in the Merriam-Webster dictionary so it is recognized as a word. It's no wonder the definition for "preventive" is used as the terms "preventive" and "preventative" are considered to be synonymous.

As Bart Simpson would say... "Ay Caramba!!!"
Oooops!!!! that's... You're funny.

That was for your benefit!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #124

Ford Super Duty Owner

Sorry that was a typo and a failure to proof read my post.

TeJay
Old 07-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #125

Winnebago Owners Club
When did "I seen" replace "I saw"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
The as in the 101, the 405, etc. Just silly
You bring up an interesting topic. Originally most highways were named. Such as the Lincoln Hy, the Redwood Hy, the Pasadena Freeway, etc.

I-5 South out of LA is called the San Diego Freeway while I-5 North is the Golden State Freeway and both are generally known as "The 5".

Most people here in Portland, OR don't know that I-5 North was once known as the Minnesota Freeway (it was built over Minnesota Street). I-84 East is still called the Banfield Freeway.

My understanding is that over time, as there were more and more roads built, named roads became a problem for map makers (just look at any hyway map from the 1910's and 20's) and confusing to drivers so eventually naming roads was dropped in favor of numbers.

The point is that the "The" was simply kept when numbers began replacing names. But I've only heard of that being done in the general Los Angeles area.

But I digress. Now back to the topic at hand... Linguistics

There is a big difference in the words "lie" as vs "lay". I lie in the bed but lay down the pillow. Many words that seem interchangeable have entirely different meanings.

Most languages put the verb before the noun. The surname in many languages is first, such as Smith Joe instead of Joe Smith. And adding an "s" to the end of a word to make it plural isn't done most languages, either, they're separate words, like woman and women, mouse and mice. All of which makes English so bewildering and difficult to learn. So the next time you worry about the way someone says something, get over it. Just be happy they're trying.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #126

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A southern regional colloquialism? Fixin' to. As in: Question: "Are you going to town today?" Answer: "I'm fixin' to. "

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
FMCA 378968

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace