Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
TeJay, it is a common and understood term in the south for a construction worker to say "I changed out the front entry door". Now, should I put the period before or after the quotation mark?
If you "change" the front entry door, it could mean that you altered it, for example by painting it. If you "change out" the front entry door, it's more clear that you removed that one and put in another.

As for the period, in the U.S., it goes before the quotation mark. In England, they put it after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Quote:
Shame on that English teacher.
Why is that?
Probably because you wrote this:

Quote:
To me the acid test of using any language, written or spoken, is do you understand the speaker? I’m pretty sure I would understand someone using “I seen” instead of “I saw” . . .
My own comment was that I was disheartened by this. Language does evolve, but there is still a standard that I hope English teachers teach and adhere to. When reading here that someone was afraid he was going to "loose his breaks" I can figure out what he means, but that doesn't make what he wrote right.

There's a big difference between knowing the rules and choosing to break them and not knowing the rules in the first place. In a very casual conversation I might say, "Me and Harry went to the store," but it would be a choice I'm making because of the context; there are many people who wouldn't have any idea "Me and Harry" is wrong. That is simply ignorance, and something English teachers are presumably paid to help prevent.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #128

Here's one that gets me, "I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience". I often here this when listening to voicemail greetings, for example, "Please leave me a message and I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience".

This is essentially telling the caller that she will get back to them as soon as it's convenient for her to do so.

Replace "convenience" with "opportunity" and you have a proper greeting; or "as soon as I can".
Old 07-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis View Post

Replace "convenience" with "opportunity" and you have a proper greeting; or "as soon as I can".
Unless of course it's a telephone solicitor, and then it's perfect as is!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #130

My opinion....one can not criticize ones mistakes unless they have never made one themselves.....
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #131
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis View Post
Here's one that gets me, "I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience". I often here this when listening to voicemail greetings, for example, "Please leave me a message and I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience".

This is essentially telling the caller that she will get back to them as soon as it's convenient for her to do so.

That one really irritates me too! One even better than that is the message a friend of mine has on his cellphone.

"Sorry I missed your call. Leave me a message and I may get back to you"
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That one really irritates me too! One even better than that is the message a friend of mine has on his cellphone.

"Sorry I missed your call. Leave me a message and I may get back to you"
At least he's honest!
Old 07-21-2016, 01:42 AM   #133

jmaellis, speaking of misuse of words, I'm sure you meant to say hear and not here.
See, we do it all the time.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #134

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good catch, Bo.

Glenn
Old 07-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #135

Dang!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #136

Workhorse Chassis Owner
who cares! this is an RV forum where someone is trying to get help, not an English class! GET REAL GUYS.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #137

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
who cares! this is an RV forum where someone is trying to get help, not an English class! GET REAL GUYS.

You are correct. This is an RV forum, however, there are occasional posts that are incoherent.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
FMCA 378968
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
Agree with you 100%, however, there are times when it's about more than hanging out. Job interviews, business dealings, and sales presentations come to mind. And, yes, there are well-educated snobs with perfect English who don't come close to being as smart or as good a person as DH. But, sometimes they hold all the cards for the given situation. For these times I'd rather be on a somewhat level playing field.
Well said.
I concede the point.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #139
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I consider myself pretty good with grammar, but I've always had trouble with when to use "who" and "whom" Anybody have any simple rules for this?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #140
EV2

Some here seem to believe that grammar and punctuation are not the important.

I submit this for your review:

Go outside and help your uncle Jack off from his horse.

Go outside and help your uncle jack off his horse.

Grammar can be messy!

And, meaning changes with proper spelling:

I am having trouble with my winch.

I am having trouble with my wench.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace