Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question When do you decide to change your tires?

All this chit chat on tire pressure, blow outs, etc. and I haven't even gotten my MH yet, two weeks and counting! Yet today, first time ever, I have a blowout on my boat trailer. I consider it training The tires are about 6 years old but they have the same situation as RV's, it sits in storage over winter, not typical car use, etc.

So I think I'm going to go on a 5 year cycle on tires for the boat trailer. Which leads me to when do people decide to change their tires on a MH? Wait for a failure? Based on time? I doubt it's tread like a car and not passing an inspection. So what are people using as a rule of thumb to replace the tires?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

First I buy the best tires I can. When they show cracking or get over 6 years old I am in the market for new. My current tires are: Michelin: 295/80 R 22.5 XZA2 Energy
Old 05-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

7 years is the absolute longest I run. I thought a number of manufacturers state the same....maybe they don't.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In Sept I put 8 new tires on my rig, the takeoffs were original dated late 2007 so they were some 9 years old and still looked great both outside and inside! I have never had a blowout on an RV in the 50 yrs I've had them but ZI have always used Michelin too. The only blowout I've ever had was a Goodyear on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I try not to hit curbs or run over stuff on the roadways, check the pressure before every trip and now have a TPMS. Never put tire dressing on tires except for 303 and if I'm going to sit for a while I cover the tires.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
~7 years, imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #6

Tires in good physical condition, properly aired all the time and not run over curbs, etc rarely fail on their own.
Chronic underinflation or hitting road debris leading to severe underinflation is what causes most blowouts.
I use a TPMS, always keep tires properly inflated and don't run over curbs, store the RV indoors and the last RV I sold had 15 year old tires that looked as good as the day they were new less a little tread.
I had 100% confidence in them.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Michelin says 10 years max.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #8

I decided to replace my tires when I could feel the MH start to wobble at slow speed. First I felt it in the front and a few weeks later, in the rear. 7 years old tires with 8000 miles on them.

I never ran them low on air but I only put a couple thousnd miles on them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:56 AM   #9

I replace mine as per Michelin 10 year recommendation for replacement.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #10

Good info here. How started the 6year stories. If tire manufacturer is saying 10yrs where did the 6-7 year theory come from? That is if the tire is in good condition?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
All this chit chat on tire pressure, blow outs, etc. and I haven't even gotten my MH yet, two weeks and counting! Yet today, first time ever, I have a blowout on my boat trailer. I consider it training The tires are about 6 years old but they have the same situation as RV's, it sits in storage over winter, not typical car use, etc.

So I think I'm going to go on a 5 year cycle on tires for the boat trailer. Which leads me to when do people decide to change their tires on a MH? Wait for a failure? Based on time? I doubt it's tread like a car and not passing an inspection. So what are people using as a rule of thumb to replace the tires?
Change the tires on your RV based on the same criteria you use for your car. When the physical condition of the tire indicates it.
Contrary to popular thought, tires in good physical condition rarely blow out on the side wall or tread. Tires that overheat because of low inflation, whether gradual, systematic or suddenly separate at the wheel bead leading to catastrophic quick deflation.
Age in and of itself has little to do with it.
At $4k a change, invest in a TPMS, take care to cover tires when not in use or store indoors if possible, monitor tire pressure all go a long way in extending tire life.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
Good info here. How started the 6year stories. If tire manufacturer is saying 10yrs where did the 6-7 year theory come from? That is if the tire is in good condition?
6 years. There are some on this forum who change out tires at 4 years just because it makes them feel good. Good for the economy, but go figure.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting ready to change the steer tires on our rig, they are 7 years old. I bought all new tires in 2010, since then all four of the rears failed between 26,000-30,000 miles, due to belt delamination. Coach is not overweight. These were tire defects.
I have no problem with the steer tires but I don't trust them. Switching back to Michelins from BFG Commercial T/A..
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #14

I was north of 200K when I bought our motorhome, since then I've added a tpms system, RV gps system, laser temperature gun, and a weather radio. All these to up the safety odds. Is 3K in tires worth it to me when ALL I hold dear in this life are riding with me? You can bet your sweet ... it is. Change them out when your wallet can stand it.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires