Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
Thanks for the replys.

Seems like the consensus is that most of you would go, regardless of the costs. I can appreciate that, although I don't necessarily agree with it.

Obviously, I'm new here, but not to RVing; been doing it for years. Grew up doing it with my parents; now doing it for quite some time with my family. I've personally been to more than 75 national parks, and countless state parks. I've taken my family to more than 40 national parks, memorials, historics sites, etc; if it's in the NPS, we're trying to see it. And, if it's in the mid-west or towards the east coast, we've probably already been there. The Smokies, the Apalacians, the caves, etc.

I'm not new to the concept of saving pennies in most all methods. For example, we almost NEVER eat out. Not at home, not on our trips. We pack our own lunches every day for school and work. We seek out the best places to stay on our trips; like I said, I shop WAY in advance. We are NOT the type who simply choose the first thing that flys into our path. Frugality is not unknown at our house.

I understand the mathematics of the trip; that's why I asked. But at some point, fuel has to trigger a shift in strategy, if not a total cancelation of the current plans. While we might still go on a vacation, we won't go nearly as far.

For this trip, I'm still on the fence. At some point, there is a threshold for anyone. It might not be at $5/gallon, but maybe $6/gallon? If fuel were $8/gallon, would you still have that same attitude? I doubt it. We're trying to balance a tight budget, and the memories of a lifetime. Some obviously feel that memories have priority, and cost should be no object. I know others that would say memories cannot be bought, but created, regardless of input. To each his own; I'm not trying to start a debate based upon emotion. I'm trying to establish criteria OTHER than emotion.

Let's not forget that the cost of fuel not only directly affects the cost of the trip, but the cost of life. It not only impacts our pulling the RV, but also the drives to work, the cost of food, etc. Any rise is fuel is not just experienced in one aspect, but all. If fuel hits $5/gallon, all of us pay more everywhere in life. The money we "save" by not going on the trip is likey to be consumed, in some portion, just to survive elsewhere. Not all of it, but a portion of it.

We're getting close to where the age of our kids play into this. As they get older, they can travel much further without annoying themselves, each other, or us. However, they are also much closer to college age; those costs loom out into the future too.

Like I said, there has to be a breakpoint. For small expenditures, a large rise in percentage of cost is managable and tolerable. But for large costs, small percentage shifts can be difficult to handle fiscally. It is not inconceiveable to think that fuel could be at $6/gallon for diesel. Three years ago, we had a similar experience in 2008 when fuel went from $3.50 to $5.00 per gallon in just a few months! It made us shift our plans from out west to the mid-west. While we had a good time, we saved quite a bit of money because we cut our mileage in half, versus the planned trip. However, it was not "the same" as going out west. If we had to do it again this summer, we're not sure that we'd do that again. We'd almost prefer to cancel this year, and perhaps save it for next year. We're trying to find that fiscal breakpoint where the decision makes sense.

I'd like to say thanks for everyone's input. I don't know that I agree with all of it, but I opened up the topic for all, and so I am grateful for those that took the time to answer.

2006 Cherokee Lite 18DD
2006 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 CCLB W/T with Duramax/Allison 1000 (all stock performance wise; heavy on reliability mods)
dnewton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
We also planning a big trip, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Grand Canyon. The decision to do or not to do. I have been reading all your comments, makes me want to start planning today. My husband says we are doing it, and agrees with Peacekeeper 6 "You only live once."

ICU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Originally Posted by ICU2 View Post
We also planning a big trip, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Grand Canyon. The decision to do or not to do. I have been reading all your comments, makes me want to start planning today. My husband says we are doing it, and agrees with Peacekeeper 6 "You only live once."

If you are planning on camping in Yellowstone, you will want to contact them immediatetly. They book more than a year in advance for some campgrounds.
2006 Cherokee Lite 18DD
2006 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 CCLB W/T with Duramax/Allison 1000 (all stock performance wise; heavy on reliability mods)
dnewton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spending less on fuel

We live in a hot desert climate and so like to go to high elevation to camp for 3 days a week in the summer.(wife still works 4 days a week) It is about 140 miles each way to the area where we like to camp. We found a great place to store our MH for $30 a month. We drive our 35 mpg car to it with supplies and then take it to one of many great local campsites, leaving the car at the storage. That saves us about 26 gals of gas per week which comes to about $100. The storage is cheaper than I can store the MH at home. All round winner.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Triple E Owners Club
Like the Nike slogan...

"Just do it"
2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Like the Nike slogan...

"Just do it"
It could be your last chance--go for it. Do whatever you need to do to pay for the trip afterwards. Keith cheated "The Widow Maker" early in 2004...every day since then has been a bonus day. Do what you can/when you can.
Dinah, Keith & 2 furballs
2004 McKenzie Medallion 36SKQ (full time and workin' for a livin')
dinahkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #21
Pretty sure I heard that the gas demand was exepected to be down. It was expected that gas would be $5.00 by summer. Now they are saying it will be $3.50 by summer.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #22

12 mpg! If I got 12 mpg I would be smiling and trucking... Try 6.4 mpg and then talk about fuel prices.... Ya can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can. A friend of mine was a saver/skrimper so he could retire early and "enjoy" his life. He died last week at 54 working on the job....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #23
Paying a Shrink would be much more that the cost of fuel for a weeks vacation.

I gotta get outta here once in awhile.
An RV'r is someone driving a $300,000.00 Motorhome towing a $40,000.00 car and looking for a free place to park.
Stogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #24
Stogie's sig somewhat reflects our plans.

Most of our summer plans this year include staying places that we don't have to pay to park. Seeing more family this year than before. We've made arrangements so that we can park and plug in instead of staying in an RV park.

We are also exploring more of our home state instead of going out further.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which is cheaper? Spending the money for fuel or getting a divorce because the other half is unhappy about staying home worrying about the cost of fuel?

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Plan you trip at about a 25% increase in the fuel price you are now paying. I've just planned out a trip to the east coast and back with gas at $1.50 a litre. (about $5.68 a US gallon) and mileage at 12 per. That trip is change under $3,000 for fuel so we will be going. Try flying two adults and a couple of spoiled pooches to the east coast for less money (starting and ending in Canada) and you will see more, take longer and spend less in a MH.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
Originally Posted by DRosedale View Post
All the responses above make sense and I understand what you are talking about. None of us have any control on fuel prices, so we have to look at the things we can control to reduce the cost of our trips. I for one will never stop traveling. The DW and I love the life style and the adventures we have on the road. So if we have to cook more instead of going out to eat, then thats what we will do. Reduce our speed, maybe gain another mile or so per gallon. What I am trying to say, fix the things you can fix and don't worry about those that you can't. I am sure you are like the rest of us, retired, worked hard all our lives and enjoy the RV lifestyle.

Enjoy life, it is way to short. Remember this when you are gone no matter how much money you have, none of it is going with you.

Take your trip, enjoy what you love to do and don't worry about it.

PS - If it is going to take $300 or $400 extra in fuel cost, for your dream trip, put it on a credit card and take two or three months to pay it off. Just think what you spend while at home going out to eat. We sometimes eat out while at home once a week. Unless you go to a fast food place, your going to spend $30.00 or $40.00 for that meal. Hey instead of eating out for the next couple of months, take the money you would've spent doing that and put it in your fuel fund. Again, as the old saying goes "Where there's a will, there's away."
Everyone should take your advice. I do.

On 10/15/10,
Puchased a 1989 Class B Dodge Xplorer In Cash
On 5/2/15, Girlfriend purchased 2002 Dynamax Carri-go in cash.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote