Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
When do you park it?

Hello all!

I'm trying to establish some criteria for making a reasonable decision on when to cancel our summer trip. Or, more specifically, at what threshold do I call "uncle" on fuel prices and cancel the reservations.

I'm a big "pre-planner" by nature; made my reservations some time ago for this summer trip to CO and UT from IN. The fuel costs are quickly escalating, based upon a planned 3600 mile journey.

Have any of you decided to cancel a trip, or at the very least modify your trip, to avert the extraordinary rising cost of fuel?

I think it's reasonable to expect diesel to be at $5/gallon or so this summer; possibly more. In my mind, that is kind of the breakpoint.

I fully understand that no one buys an RV/tow vehicle combo expecting to go fantastic mileage; I realize that 12 mpg is not a bad consuption rate for my truck and rig. But at some point, the fuel costs become an ever increasing percentage of the total budget, and my funds are not unlimited.

We could do a "staycation" and camp in IN, but frankly we've been in lots of the state parks and they are OK, but we've seen about all there is to see in IN. We like the trips out west because we get to experience terrain and features much different from the mid-west. We almost exclusively plan our trips around all the national parks. There isn't a national park near us that we haven't already been to; hence the trip to CO and UT.

If you have cancelled or otherwise seriously modified your trip, what criteria did you consider? What threshold did you establish? If so, why? I'm trying to make a reasonable decision and not let emotion get in the way ... at some point, my wallet cannot take the beating.

2006 Cherokee Lite 18DD
2006 Chevy 3500HD 4x4 CCLB W/T with Duramax/Allison 1000 (all stock performance wise; heavy on reliability mods)
dnewton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
First WELCOME to iRV2......Now 3600 miles is 300 gallons of fuel at your rate of consumption. So if the price is up a dollar thats $300 increase in cost. Is the trip worth an additional $300 or $400 and will that increase cause you great stress . Now we have decided to keep our trip to less then 1200 to 1500 miles round trip. There are a bunch of places east of the Mississippi that we have never seen. I would suggest you look at the Smokies or Appalachian Mountains or even the east coast ocean area for a great vacation with less fuel cost. Also we are staying at Passport America CG's. We just got back from 8 days to Kentucky and back to Charlotte. Our total cost for the 8 nites was $120, so we saved a bunch there . We also did most of cooking in the MH. Saved by not going out. There are ways to save a little on your trip to make it more cost effective. We never have but overnight at a Walmart on a long trip to save a nights camping cost. Hope you can make your trip. We will do a bunch of smaller ones but will never stop hitting the road.Peace...D

Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi dnewton3 and Welcome to the Forum!

I feel your pain, Bro'. These fuel prices are not fun.

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I look at it this way . . .

Using your numbers, 3600 miles at 12 mpg, there is only a $300 difference between $4/gal and $5/gal. While that is still a chunk of change, it wouldn't keep me from doing a fabulous trip like you have already planned out. Colorado and Utah have some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet. If you don't go see it now, then when?
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do the planned trip. Chances are it will cost more for fuel for the same trip at a later date. Time waits for no one, in my case mine and wifes age and health has to be worked into the equation of do we go now or later on.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Fuel costs are putting the fear into all of us. There really isn't an easy answer here. Drive slower, stay longer, love every minute of it. We've got a 3000 mile trip next fall so have cut back on summer travel out of state. We've worked all our lives to get to this point to enjoy the lifestyle. Life is short.... don't put anything off for tomorrow......it may not come.
crtrrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
All the responses above make sense and I understand what you are talking about. None of us have any control on fuel prices, so we have to look at the things we can control to reduce the cost of our trips. I for one will never stop traveling. The DW and I love the life style and the adventures we have on the road. So if we have to cook more instead of going out to eat, then thats what we will do. Reduce our speed, maybe gain another mile or so per gallon. What I am trying to say, fix the things you can fix and don't worry about those that you can't. I am sure you are like the rest of us, retired, worked hard all our lives and enjoy the RV lifestyle.

Enjoy life, it is way to short. Remember this when you are gone no matter how much money you have, none of it is going with you.

Take your trip, enjoy what you love to do and don't worry about it.

PS - If it is going to take $300 or $400 extra in fuel cost, for your dream trip, put it on a credit card and take two or three months to pay it off. Just think what you spend while at home going out to eat. We sometimes eat out while at home once a week. Unless you go to a fast food place, your going to spend $30.00 or $40.00 for that meal. Hey instead of eating out for the next couple of months, take the money you would've spent doing that and put it in your fuel fund. Again, as the old saying goes "Where there's a will, there's away."
2011 Coachmen Concord, Ford E450
DRosedale, BRosedale and Yorkies, Max, Molly, Harley
Pineville, LA
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at my signature!

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Fuel prices affect everyone not only for recreation but for everyday living, family of 3 drivers fuel runs me $500 dollars a month not counting Rv. Do I plan to change my plans no,my fixed cost don't change because of fuel. So if it cost a$100 or 2 more for a trip it's worth it.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
We have no intention of parking it. At our age and health, I figure every summer will be our last, and I ain't missing it. Where there's a will, there's a way, we just have to find it.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
I'm with you 'geezer', if you don't do it now, you might not get to do it ever. That's why I'm pushing (called nagging) DH to get the rig ready to go so we can. We can save money in a lot of areas at the stick home, but just the two of us (and dogs) without the family hassles is priceless! kkd
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
American Coach Owners Club
Oh the olé finances verse benefit...pretty subjective. Only you know what your finances will bare. We battle with it all the time during our own trip planning.

Someone once said - "Very few regret events they HAVE done, but most regret those they have NOT". Good luck with your decisions. Bob
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't look at the fuel as a total cost, but the differential over what you would have spent. If it was a go at $4.00 per gallon, and you get 10 miles per gallon, , 3000 miles will use 300 gallons. So you are spending $1.00 more per gallon, that is only $300.00 more for the trip. At what you are already spending for the fuel and lodging, the $300.00 is not so much.

So crank it up and go. If anything, don't go as far and stay longer before moving the rig.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
We are taking a trip this month. 2000 miles and we get 7+. Never 8, 7+. This trip was planned long ago but we had several other trips planned as well. This one is probably our only trip of any distance this year. If fuel was $2 cheaper, we would take others but we are kinda poor so this is it for us this year.
We are lucky, our sticks and bricks is in a beautiful park like setting with a river frontage and real privacy so not many places we can go that are nicer than home.
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
"You only live once, but if you live right, once is enough".

Lou & Cheri - Pilot & Copilot
Aly & Susi - Miniature Schnauzer Navigator & Bombadier
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27 - CG-1 Bomber
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote