Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I've started doing this only when he is under pressure from behind; it helps deter impatient drivers from darting along the right side of the semi which is rude and dangerous.
That's an excellent point and one I neglected to mention in my previous post. One reason I'll flash the trucker at a shorter distance in these situations is that the impatient drivers following the trucker can be more of a threat to both of us than the trucker is. I've had these jokers in an 18' pickup try to dart in front of me to pass the trucker on his right side when the trucker is only 17'11" in front of me! After just about losing the left front corner of my truck to some of these guys, I'd rather have the trucker drop back into the right lane earlier than I normally would than have to deal with these nutballs cutting me off and dropping into the trucker's blind spot.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #16

The simple answer is simply, when the trucker is a safe distance ahead. Remember after all, that it is not as if you are being surprised. The truck has just passed you, you are aware of its position and that it is coming over in front of you. Plus you can see down the road prior the trucker pulling over for any upcoming issues to be aware of. As for a deer suddenly jumping in front of the truck. Just be glad you flashed them over. The truck will handle the deer much better than you vehicle.

The reason many truck drivers no longer use the lights and flashing for passing, etc is the good old legal weasel attorneys. Some companies now forbid the courtesy for fear of any liability. The other reason is that the quality and training of many drivers is not the same as in the past. While many may disagree, I come at this from 45 years around the trucking industry.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back before I disabeled my DRL's I had two trucks actually force me off the road on to the shoulder on I-5. There is no way they couldn't have known what they were doing nor did I flash my lights. Since I removed the relay to the DRL's it's never happened again.
I wait till they're clear of me by at least a car length or two or until I can see him looking in his mirrors.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragingbull View Post
I typically give them a full truck length. As a former OTR trucker I appreciated the courtesy.
Larry any trucker who has experience will not swerve to avoid a deer much less a car pulling out immediately in front of them. Its far more dangerous to do so! I've had cars coming up a on ramp that would not merge with traffic at the same speed. When I could not move to the left lane to accommodate them they usually wound up slowing down more or riding on the shoulder.
And as a retired trucker I understand that may be the case but there is just as many bad drivers out there behind the steering wheels driving trucks as there are in the 4 wheelers!

Tags
lights