Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #29

The news media are morons. CNN is focusing on a picture of one guy who didn't act like everyone else near the blast. This guy is just standing there while everyone else is covering their ears and bending over. If he set the bomb, why would he be standing there in the path of the blast, possibly not knowing the strength of the blast? Maybe he is stone deaf.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
Pres. George Bush had it right when he said he wanted to us as a kinder gentler nation. What had been something you would see in the less civilized parts of the world has happpened here.

The era of rational discourse and reason has been replaced by rage. We are now pitted against each other baited by epithets like libtards, right wing wackos, and other labels designed to make you superior and the other guy dumb because they don't think the same. We have legions of people who believe the media as if it was the truth and have no tolerance for differering opinions. We can't talk about anything without it deteriorating into namecalling and worse, violence.

Sad to say but now we have a increasing group of people that consider themselves soveriegn citizens. People who believe such terrible things about our country like we blew up the WTC ourselves or faked the Sandy Hook school shootings based on some nonsensical conspiracy. We have lost faith in our country to do right and and lost our sense of national identity as Americans.

It's sad to see violence become common place, that the gun and the bomb become a way to make a point, and that killing your fellow man will make others sypathetic to your views. The boiling rage of twisted thought inspires these actions.

These misguided individuals, fueled by the hate being whipped up, seek to divide us all. Whether foriegn or domestic, the mad bombers take advantage of our freedom and seek to bring us down.
Very well put. I agree so much with your quote:

Quote:
The era of rational discourse and reason has been replaced by rage. We are now pitted against each other baited by epithets like libtards, right wing wackos, and other labels designed to make you superior and the other guy dumb because they don't think the same. We have legions of people who believe the media as if it was the truth and have no tolerance for differering opinions. We can't talk about anything without it deteriorating into namecalling and worse, violence.
I hope and pray swift justice is at hand for this or these people responsible for the Boston terror.

Also, I just heard an un verified report they found the folks who murdered the Asst. D.A. and the D.A. and his wife here in Kaufman County, TX. I'm not going to repeat it, as the news media is so fouled up with initial reporting most of the time, I'll wait till the Nightly News....even then I question most of it.....!

One more thing, remember the nightly newscasts back in the 60s and 70s before 'subliminal propagandized media' took hold? Just the facts were reported, not opinions, not speculation, not conclusions, just the facts. But, of course, the world was an entirely different place. Much simpler and more concern for our fellow human beings.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lincolnboy2 - your quote

"One more thing, remember the nightly newscasts back in the 60s and 70s before 'subliminal propagandized media' took hold? Just the facts were reported, not opinions, not speculation, not conclusions, just the facts."

Is spot on. There was once a profession know as journalism. You have to look long and hard to find it these days. Journalists interviewed witnesses and experts. They were not the experts. They were not "television, radio or print personalities", but they had integrity and personality. They were not revenue generators, they were reporters as you say. What we get today would have in many ways been termed "yellow journalism". The spin and polluting of the facts with bias and opinion has resulted in a virtually factless news cycle. There has never been so much information available, so quickly and yet we cannot seem to agree on the basic facts of any story. Pick your bias, pick your channel and hear the facts tailored to your view / outlook. Just give me the who, what, when, where, why and how. Good night Chet.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Lincolnboy2 - your quote

"One more thing, remember the nightly newscasts back in the 60s and 70s before 'subliminal propagandized media' took hold? Just the facts were reported, not opinions, not speculation, not conclusions, just the facts."

Is spot on. There was once a profession know as journalism. You have to look long and hard to find it these days. Journalists interviewed witnesses and experts. They were not the experts. They were not "television, radio or print personalities", but they had integrity and personality. They were not revenue generators, they were reporters as you say. What we get today would have in many ways been termed "yellow journalism". The spin and polluting of the facts with bias and opinion has resulted in a virtually factless news cycle. There has never been so much information available, so quickly and yet we cannot seem to agree on the basic facts of any story. Pick your bias, pick your channel and hear the facts tailored to your view / outlook. Just give me the who, what, when, where, why and how. Good night Chet.

Well stated.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #33

How about this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2310813171.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	37098

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
How about this?
A better bet than looking to restore journalistic integrity - that's for sure.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
How about this?

Attachment 37098
This is the best way to combat terrorism - instead of constant hang-wringing and endless "special reports" just report it in a minimal fashion and then ignore it - don't give them ANY publicity at all!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #36

Mission accomplished. People maimed and killed and the US is on higher and costlier alert.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #37
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
How about this?

Attachment 37098
Exactly! I watch about 3 minutes of news and then I get upset.

Newscasters, when you are broadcasting the 5 o'clock news and then you tag a headline and state that it will be on the 10 o'clock news, I take that to mean that it is not a newsworthy item, because if it were it would be broadcast on the 5 o'clock news when you received it. So, I shut you off as you really cannot report "the news."

I get more from the little ticker streams in 3 minutes then any reporter speaking (talking heads.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
The best punishment for these people would be to have to listen to all the opinions from all the self appointed experts over and over and they would be so disgusted they would leave the country knowing its doomed anyway.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #39

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I am sick and tired of so-called newsmen (oops...newspersons) telling me how I should feel or what I should think. I'll make up my own mind. ALL I want is the verified FACTS! I don't need words like horrible or tragic. If you tell me that people were killed, or injured, or that legs and feet were blown-off, I can probably come to that conclusion on my own.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We seem to be going off topic here.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
Sadly, The crazy will probably continue, the reporting will only get worse.

Carl Bernstein was here in Pensacola this week. He gave a lecture on journalism. He was taught as a journalist to ""Always seek the truth". But: -- "Increasingly we live in an age when people reading the Web, or newspapers and watching the TV news are not looking for the best version of the truth".-- "We are subjected to the politics of ideology over problem solving".
---
It is obvious we are not getting the best version of the truth from the news media. An earlier post here asked for just the facts, report what is known to be true and let us sort it out. News commentary seems intent shaping the information to support a particular agenda.

How many investigations have gone no-where? Important questions as to how something happened or where are the facts just seem to fade away. It gets harder all the time to trust the information we are presented. The "Watergate" investigative reporting is a thing of the past. (I didn't like it at the time but it was right to bring it out.)

Remember how much more pertinent the reporting was when the news was only on for 30 minutes each evening??
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #42
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Sadly, The crazy will probably continue, the reporting will only get worse.........................Remember how much more pertinent the reporting was when the news was only on for 30 minutes each evening??
Ah! The good old days.

The crazy will not stop because the crazy people doing all the mayhem feed off of the publicity that they get, the sensationalism of the broadcast stations. Just think of a crazy doing something to harm people but there was no report on whether it was successful or not. Darn! Might just not be worth it.

Personally I think that the more publicity given to such events leads to others wanting the same notoriety, and the crazy continues. Also, in many of the "leads" given by the newscasters/broadcast stations, they are stating things that have "not" been tried but the crazies say, "Hmmm! I might try that someday."

We give away to much of our secrets. One example is a recent broadcast that states how the FBI put the 747 (Lockabee) aircraft back together. Then they state that they are already reassembling the pieces of the bomb and that should help them in their investigation.

Why does the methodology of law enforcement need to be broadcast. It just gives a way for future circumvention in performing a crime.

Happy trails.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote