Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Thor Owners Club
We filter CGs when looking thru RVparkreviews and if I see comments which lead me to believe that management won't confront bad campground behaviours I move on. It takes no time for a CG to get a bad reputation from RVers and a great reputation from partiers.

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I also love people having a good time. When I go to bed and and the party is still rolling next to or by me, I do not care one bit. I will still fall asleep. The one thing that would upset me is people fighting. That is not a pleasant sound.
Yep, this is me as well. Parties are no problem and funny thing is I actually sleep better when there is a lot of noise! I lay awake all night if it's too quiet. Funny thing is I'm very quiet, to the point I rarely speak (I can go months without saying a word, but I have Autism, so that's why.) I generally get along with everybody. I'm quiet, go to bed with the sun, get up with the sun, have a lazy senior dog that never moves let alone barks, I carry poop bags every where, I'm of a religion that disallows smoking and drinking and eating meat, so you don't even find me grilling let alone smoking or drinking. I'm an author so I spend my days writing quietly, and I have Autism so partying is not my thing. It doesn't bother me when other folks do these things (though it does irk me when other folks let their leashless dogs jump on me, I'm an itty bitty disabled older woman with a bad hip and limited mobility and it doesn't take a very big dog to knock me off my feet and if no one is around to help me up, it's a pain trying to get back on my feet). I don't hear too good so I can have pretty loud neighbors and not really notice it, and even if I do notice it, it's not something I care about. When I'm not writing, I'm reading (my MoHo is packed full with 800+ paperbacks!) so I'm usually too lost in my own head to notice what the neighbors are doing anyways.

For the most part, all the campers I've run into are pretty good folks, and I tend to stay in places that have a lot of young families with loud kids in the pool and playgrounds (I like the bustle of kids and dogs bouncing around the place.) And I also like to stay at "Biker Camps" (Bentley's in Arundel, Maine) where every RVer is packing a big old Harley and tend to stay up all night partying. I like high activity campgrounds, and get bored at the ones that are just peaceful and quiet. I guess part of it is, I live alone and need the sight and sound of other people to keep from being lonely.

There have been I think 4 times when I have run into rude campers who had no business being in a campground and ironically, it was the same family each of those 4 times!

The family were friendly enough in the day time, but at night all hell broke lose, with knife fights, and firing shot guns. It was really scary.

They had 2 dogs with no manners - both dogs would run into other campers lots tore up other folks belongings, bite children, beat up other dogs, some of the kids and small dogs got torn up really bad (and the owner of the killer dog just laughed and said "That's what dogs do!").

One night we woke up to the dad and the oldest son (they had 6 kids aged from 23 to 8) were having a fist fight in OUR lot. The dad finally picked up the son and threw him through the windshield of our neighbor's station wagon.

A few days later the same boy was arrested for attacking another camper with a machete.

The dad was a flea market hound and every day would take his truck out to flea markets and come back and literally DUMP the load on other campers lots! They had behind their RV 4 military tents, packed full of flea market finds - full as in every inch right to the ceiling.

The owners of the camp ground tried to get rid of them, and it took firemen to come in and evict them (with the help of police) on grounds of fire safety. When the firemen broke open the bulging military tents there was an out pouring of giant river rats. It required 3 dumpsters to come in and haul out the piles of garbage they had left behind.

Human Services came in and took all the under 18 children and put them into foster care, and the dad escaped arrest. The mom (who was a registered nurse) was arrested because when the police started ripping open the tents, they found trash bags filled with prescription meds that she had been stealing from patients. She had been forging doctor signatures in order to get refills, "for her patients" only she was keeping the refills.

Once the family was finally out the camp ground owners told us the family were actually squatters who had originally come in as visitors to other campers, and had stayed for 6 months without ever once paying any money, and that the owners had been trying to get rid of them, since week one, without success. The owner had been scared to enforce throwing them out sooner, because the teenaged son carried a giant switchblade, the dad had several guns, rifles, shot guns, and their RV was "guared" by not one, but two 6 foot long iguanas.

We were told that campgrounds in the area (Southern Maine) were constantly on the look out for this family (which had a history of sneaking into campgrounds at night and setting up camp in the farthest back lot, than claiming squatters rights and threatening to shoot the owners.) Most camp owners in the area had been hit by this family and they all had stories There are even a few campgrounds which had signs that said: "No Atwaters Allowed" (that was their last name) and they won't admit anyone whose name is Atwater, because usually it was a relative of theirs that would rent for the weekend, "let them visit" and than move out letting them stay in the lot.

They had another trait that really messed things up for those of us that drive older RVs. When they weren't living in campgrounds, they'd boondock. They'd find (steal) old RVs and live in them in local towns on the streets (usually Biddeford). They'd hire a relative to take the RV camp for a weekend, they'd sneak in, move into the RV, the family who paid for the weekend would move out. This family would claim to be the original family, and when they finally did leave they would walk out (climb over the fence) and take absolutely not one thing with them, leaving the old (often no longer running) RV behind, along with piles of trash that were as tall as and stacked over the RV. They did this so many times in so many campgrounds all over York County, Maine, that most campgrounds now have rules saying you can't come in if your RV is over 10 years old!

There are several campgrounds which found them staying in OTHER PEOPLE'S RVs during the winter - they'd rip the locks off the doors and just move in. They targeted camps in Maine that shut down for the winter, but let campers leave their RVs. Camp owners would come back from Florida in the Spring to find piles of garbage (piles as in 8 to 12 feet tall) mounded up around RVs, and RVs broken into, and stuff stolen out of said RVs, and copper pipes cut out of every building on the camp ground (offices etc). Old Orchard Beach was the town hit the worse by this family. One newspaper report estimated that they do over $300,000 in damages each winter, to whatever campground they hit that year. The police (in OOB) started stationing officers that do nothing but go into every campground (there are more than 30 of them in OOB) every night, and check every winter parked RV to make sure the Atwater family hasn't been there.

This family was the only time I have ever run across anything like this before. They were like so far outside of mainstream that it was utterly unbelievable to imagine people like this existed. If I had not been there and seen them doing these things myself, I never would have believed a family with so little regard for anything, could possible exist.

I think it was even more ironic that we ran into this family on 4 separate occasions, once in the 1970s, once in the 1980s, and twice in the 1990s! And at each place, they had done exactly the same thing. Each time we meet them, they were worse than the time previous. The event listed above was them at their worst and was last time we saw them, in 1997. I'm told that this was the first time any campground owner had dared bring in the police before and that it was because he did that anyone was able to finally identify who they were (name-wise).

The dad was in the paper just a couple of weeks ago, for breaking into Ledgewood North (a condominium) in Saco, and is squatting in one of the apartments. Turns out he's in the apartment next door to one of my cousins and she tells me he's guarding the place with a rifle and police are having a hard time getting him out, because apparently he's been squatting in that apartment for more than 4 years now and is claiming an obscure law Maine has known as "Squatters Rights" which says if you've lived there 4 years rent free you don't have to pay rent and can't be kicked out.

I've talked to other people who've dealt with this guy and I'm told he has several mental issues, including schizophrenia, that are the cause of why he acts the way he does, but that he's refusing medical help and Maine laws don't allow for him to be forced to take his meds. So he's still around, still up to his old tricks, just now he's doing it in condos instead of in campgrounds.

All I can say is - OMG! This guy is the freaking extreme of bad camp neighbors! It was just so bizarre.

Fulltime since May 2006
MoHo: 1975 Dodge Sportsman F40 Class C
On Board: 1 dog, 1 rabbit, 1 bird, 13 cats
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Wow what a story. We do lots if camping in maine, wells to be exact. What campgrounds did they squat at?
My3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #18

Some people are just genetically "crabby" and complain about everything. I just ignore them. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Wow… I am with Richard. I enjoy meeting friends I never knew. Seeing things I never saw. Watching and learning what others like to do.

If I do not like what they do at night. I get the last laugh by opening a window while I snore!

Life is good….
LOL The way I snore I would be arrested for assault if I left my window open!
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am currently parked in a membership campground, over 700 sites,, ,Folks pay upwards of six grand for a membership and as much as 500/year in dues (possibly more) to park here. (NOTE was cheaper when I bought in).

I have had to call in a problem camper twice.. Mostly burning refuse that was throwing up a very offensive cloud of smoke, I know one was burning roofing materials. Not sure on the other.

Two nights ago a kid wend down the road keying cars and my motor home (minor damage to my house) he signed his work with his graffiti tag so he was easily ided.. I can't tell you where his family is parked but I can tell you where he's parked (Juvenile hall). I'm gonig to ask the park for his parents name and address so I can send them a bill.

Now.. mind you.. I've spend half of the last 4 summers in this park.. literally THOUSANDS of folks have camped here over that same time,, and that is 3 bad campers.. All in all a very good record. I will add I know of about 3 more bad campers.. but still six out of several thousand.

As for "neighborhoods".. I don't have the time to tell you about even the family next door when I had a house. But I was very happy to "Get outtta there". I suspect I know where some of them are camped too... (Adult hall).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
Solved Elkat! Maine is where all the bad campers are. Wow what a story!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #22

Bad campers? No such thing.

There are naughties that sometimes come to campgrounds.

We see naughties very little.
When we see them, we find ways to avoid them, ignor them, but never publicly abhor them; tis counter productive to confront.

Going to bed early with a white-noise fan works pretty good.

When you are going, it's a lot about knowing where you are going.

Just sayin......
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
So we pull in two days ago to a pricey, very nice resort that we've stayed at often. The office had been very gracious in assigning us a different site once already due to tree branches in the way of our slides. As soon as I pull up to our next site, I can tell the group across the way has potential to be a problem. It's not 2pm yet and the beer is flowing and that rhyming 'music' is thumping, but softly. Wife says to request a different site, but I'm reluctant because we have already done so once. Turns out there's a group of about 4 rigs mixed in a row of about 10 'nice' rigs that are together. I'm inside extending the slides, so I don't hear the exchange of 'F bombs' that occurs between the two furthest sites. My wife wisely waits to tell me about it until much later. We return after dinner out, to find this loud, inebriated group at the site furthest from us. No issue for us. Hope it wasn't for others. Next day, the member of the group across from us leaves, but without his big energy drink can and paper plate left on the pad. Later that night we go for our evening walk. The new people in the site have an outdoor entertainment center, as do we. Ball game is on. Beer is being consumed. But you couldn't hear them at the site next to them. Some people understand that their good time need not create a bad time for those around them.

biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote