Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Smile Where are all the "bad campers"?

I'm a relative newbie; not life or to camping and RVing but to this site. I keep reading posts about the bad person lurking in the shadows and the obnoxious campers.

I'm 50 so not too old and not too young.

Do I just live in a vacuum and I'm naive? Or am I the bad camper?

Every time I go camping I have a great time; I consume some adult beverages and enjoy myself while watching others enjoy themselves.

I've never "called the office", or thought someone was intentionally poisoning me with their generator or been upset for someone talking, laughing and having fun at a nearby campfire. If a kid cuts through it's not a big deal and if the neighbors friendly dog wanders over to say hi I dont reprimand the owners. I've stepped in poo and never tried to do a genetic test to determine who the perpetrator was.....

I just have fun! Where do all the heavy browed comments come from?

Isn't this supposed to be fun?

See ya out there! ---- I'll be the one smiling

Soo sory for the typos - my fingers are dyslexic

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

gee that's the way I am...no reason to sue some one over left poo...there are some on here that call lawyers on regular basis it seems ... geez life is just that...handle it.. like every time some one looks at an old coach ..the consensus is better change those tires, there gonna blow..well common sense is just that, don't be alarmed at all the negatives...have a good time and handle the time at will...jeff

Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Richard, I think you always have a good time BECAUSE of your attitude. Often times things are what we make them.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Richard:
Always fun to be in the "Glass half full" club. I always remember the good times, the folks that have helped. All the ones that let me in when that "merge" kinda didn't pan out. Young fellas that set their adult beverages down at a campground to help me maneuver through a tight fit. Advice from fellow campers early on (and on IRV2) that has made RVing more enjoyable.
I remember the grouches and ignoramuses but not for long, and the really good news, haven't stepped in it yet, don't plan too. (Therefore I probably won't be exactly following in your footsteps, based on your track record)

Thanks for a good post....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ X 2
Anything we hold on to that we don't need or doesn't make things better is best left behind.
RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is what it is. There are good and there are bad. For me the good outweighs the bad, but there are still bad times out there. Having a party, drinking, playing music is not a "bad" thing, but there are limits. If the party is very loud and goes into the wee hours, if the drinking ends up in brawls, and if the music is from one of those "air powered cars," or just down right to loud, and especially if it is not the genre I like, then it is bad - for me - for us.

Nothing within reason is bad. Not all things are good, but most are.

Edited: The rules of the park say to pick up after you pooch. Why can't that be done? I do it, and the majority of pet owners do it. Why does the 1% have to just leave it, or why does the 1% have to let their pooch go into someone else space to do their "duty." That is bad manners.

I have a dog. She is an 80 pound Husky. She loves people. After being attacked by another dog when she was 18 months old it has left her a little hostile when other dogs approach her. So what is wrong with the unleashed, untethered puppy coming over to say hi? Nothing for me, but it will end up as a fluffy throw toy if they get to close to her, and possibly cause harm. That is what the problem is when dogs run loose - for me - for us.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Wow… I am with Richard. I enjoy meeting friends I never knew. Seeing things I never saw. Watching and learning what others like to do.

If I do not like what they do at night. I get the last laugh by opening a window while I snore!

Life is good….
Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Wow… I am with Richard. I enjoy meeting friends I never knew. Seeing things I never saw. Watching and learning what others like to do.

If I do not like what they do at night. I get the last laugh by opening a window while I snore!

Life is good….
X2 LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I'm a relative newbie; not life or to camping and RVing but to this site. I keep reading posts about the bad person lurking in the shadows and the obnoxious campers.
Most campers are "good neighbors." Most camping experiences are positive or we'd all be giving up on camping in droves.

Quote:
It may depend on where you camp also. What kind of CGs you choose.

Quote:
Every time I go camping I have a great time; I consume some adult beverages and enjoy myself while watching others enjoy themselves.
Those who consume adult beverages are usually in no condition to even hear wild parties and barking dogs and loud music late into the night. If you can't hear those things and be kept awake by them, you're either on some serious strong meds, inebriated or deaf. Most nights in the CGs are quiet after quiet time.

Quote:
I've never "called the office", or thought someone was intentionally poisoning me with their generator or been upset for someone talking, laughing and having fun at a nearby campfire.
See above. You're choosing places where these things are not tolerated by the Hosts. Or the other things apply.

Quote:
I just have fun! Where do all the heavy browed comments come from?
Isn't this supposed to be fun?
See ya out there! ---- I'll be the one smiling
High browed comments?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #10

I also love people having a good time. When I go to bed and and the party is still rolling next to or by me, I do not care one bit. I will still fall asleep. The one thing that would upset me is people fighting. That is not a pleasant sound.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #11

Richard,

They are out there, but like anything else, it is the 1% that attract the attention. There are inconsiderate people everywhere, there seem to be fewer camping than elsewhere, and it seems that the less "Modern" the campground is, the fewer there are. (Or, at least it seems that way to us.)

So, I wish you many happy days of no smokey fires, loud "music" and dog's not picked up after. I many years, I only remember one of these.

Matt
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think the trick is to lean how to grin and bear it when it sucks and revel in it when it is all good. Yes, I dislike bad mannered pet owners and inconsiderate neighbors. It will happen. In the end, RVing is best enjoyed if you don't sweat the small stuff. I try but sometimes it doesn't work out that way but I keep trying because life is too short to get all up in arms all the time over the little stuff. I keep my powder dry for the big stuff.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

High browed comments?
I think what he actually said was "heavy browed comments" and I took that to refer to folks who might be "grouchy" and complaining?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post

I'm about the same as your description above, minus a couple years perhaps, but otherwise we sound alike in many ways and I'd like to say that you are not alone in your observations. I've never had much of any trouble camping either.

Sure, we see a lot of seriously challenged people (like the people across the way recently who burned the whole bundle of wood at once (complete with plastic wrap) but I've never had anyone actually ruin my camping experience. Screaming children, barking dogs, loud radio/TV/generators/tow vehicles/etc. are just part of the experience and have been for as long as I've been alive so they don't really factor that much.

That said, I'm pretty sure I'd be considered a 'bad camper' by some despite never having any of our neighbors ever indicate in the slightest that we caused them problems, and here's why
  • Our dogs bark, but never during quiet time, and even if they were to bark a lot they would still generate far less noise than your average child, diesel engine, 'cornhole' game (still can't get used to that name!) or generator, all of which we hear during the non-quiet hours on a regular basis.
  • We allow our dogs to relieve themselves on the ground, repeatedly(!), but we always pick up their 'presents'. Note: we will leave the 'presents' of the racoons, bears, deer, etc. that occur naturally in our space for nature to take care of in it's own way.
  • We cook over a campfire or charcoal rather than propane, and we do it outside , (but we don't build raging bonfires, cut up local, green trees for firewood, burn painted wood, etc.)
  • etc.
You're just never going to please all the people all the time no matter what you do or how hard you try, and since it's far easier to be critical of others than to give a kind word (especially on the Internet), the bad experiences tend to get a lot of public attention while the good tend to stay squirreled away in memories. The best you can do is to be respectful of the rights of others as well as to your own when in any shared space, be it a campground or anywhere else, and hope that others do the same...

- Randy