Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #29

Hey, everyone! I've have been on this site for about 5 years (used to post on hubby's ID), although not much lately.
My DH is disabled, so I do all the driving, maintenance and remodeling, and our vintage Fleetwood Class A requires a good bit of all the above!

We started full-timing in 2011, but decided to spend winters here near Corpus Christi. We just wanted to buy a lot to park the RV on, but city codes changed after we purchased and more or less forced us to expand from a storage building to a manufactured home.
So now we part-time, and that's good too. I foresee fulltiming as a single in my future as well. Anyway, nice to meet with other ladies here.

Allison

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Good Morning Ladies,

Was happy to see that there are several Ladies who are on here. How many of you do your own repairs whether mechanical or interior? I am pretty good with interior stuff since we have remodeled every home we have been in but the mechanical I am going to have to learn. I guess the fact I WANT to learn will help here but suspect I will still be limited as to what I will be able to do.

I love the camping lifestyle and look forward to it. How many of you have W/D's in your rigs? Haven't used a laundramat in so long not sure about that. Is it a big issue to you. Just wondering since I am looking and have not bought yet how important that is to have on my list.

Well, hope to talk with ya later, have a great day! Lynne
Not so thrilled personally with doing mechanical stuff (in fact, I hate it with a passion but its got to be done).

My list these past 4-6 weeks included installing three new cameras to replace the old single camera system, installed a rebuilt carburator, changed the plugs and plug wires (and THAT is a miserable no-room-to-work job that left bruises up and down my arms) fixed and replaced various running lights, installed a new air horn, caulked some suspicious cracks in the sealant around the bathroom skylight, re-wallpapered the dinette and hall, installed new-to-me craigslist driver and passenger seats (we have a St. Bernard who likes to ride shotgun, and she tore the passenger seat to shreds in doing so). Today's chores include seeing if I can diagnose why the generator quits, and tracing out the issue with the secondary power cord (we have 2 30 amp cords, so we can plug both in at the same time to 50 amp and run both air conditioners on shore power simultaneously- a serious drawback in these old coaches).

It all sounds very industrious and impressive until you realize that all this work is because I deferred things too long and just let the MH sit unattended for the last 10 months. Bad Allison.

As to your washer/dryer question; I would adore an onboard w/d. There were times during our full-timing when running to a laundromat meant a 2 hour round trip over bad roads, and that's no fun. But if all we did was camp occasionally, then I'm not sure how high up on the list it would be.

I would, however opt for a apt-sized stackable set rather than a Splendide or equivalent (which I've used and dislike, although perhaps they're better these days).

No room in our current 32', but a w/d will be a necessity in my next bus (which will be an actual diesel bus conversion). Ah, how pleasant to dream about the future...

Allison

Old 04-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Ladies who rv

I'am ryegal and I read and post usually in the solos and also on General. I love this place. Lots of good information. It is nice to see so many ladies here This was a great idea. I have a classic 1975 Barth vintage class C. Love it the dog and I want to see the U.S.A. in our Chevrolet !!!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gils with Dogs,

Just a suggestion, but go to a fabric store and find some lambswool. Get enough to fit the passenger seat, back and arms. Get some elastic (2 inch or wider) and something to put on the back of the lambswool (like a lining).

Place the lambswool or paper over the seat, back, and arms for cutting a pattern. You can do this with grocery sacks and cut it to fit the seat perfectly. Then cut out lambswool and lining. Sew together, put on seat and back and arms and place and pin the elastic to the lambswool. Make it so it can slip on and off for washing. You can use velcro to attach these if you want.

It would protect your seat and help keep the fur off the regular cover of the seat. You can also put flea powder in the lambswool to help with that if a problem. Just an idea but like I said, I am better with inside stuff than mechanical. I can redo floors and plaster with the best of them but not the mechanical YET!

I keep looking for our rig and will find it eventually and look forward to learning and having some fun.

Take care Ladies, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #33

I am female and post questions when I need help after researching old posts first and can't find an answer. I appreciate so much the replies I get usually from the men.....even if their answers are sometimes so technical I can't understand. I learn so much from this site.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Honey wish you were here to help with mine.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
Honey wish you were here to help with mine.
I was going to say "No thanks!" but maybe it like housework- doing it for someone else isn't nearly the pain in the neck doing your own is.

We're going to be headed up your way in June/July (we have family over on the Kitsap Penisula- lived there many years). We'll probably pass your rig on the road as you head somewhere; make sure we all wave!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
funny you say that I love to do dishes at other peoples homes
Old 04-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
funny you say that I love to do dishes at other peoples homes
OK, its a deal. You come over to Belfair where we'll be parked this summer and do my dishes, and I'll work on your cool Barth.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #38

I do what work I can, especially any inside stuff. Did refinish the floor in the kitchen area as the PO had put vinyl down over the hardwood flooring. Yuk. Now that I've gotten older, don't mind hiring others to do some of the harder things like fuel pumps and things. Don't mind the oil changes and such.

I do like having the washer dryer combo, hey, my time is valuable to me, I don't want to spend it in a laundromat, not to mention the expense or worry about what the person before me washed.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Hi! My name is Karen! I am on the Entegra Owner's site and post quite often. I also play the games on the Conversation site as well as the Classic Car, Pets site, etc! Nice to meet all of you!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
hello! i'm a gal and will be the only poster in this fam cuz my husb is disabled and can't do so. i will be looking to this forum for help in maintaining our new (to us) MH. first day (today) on this site i found an answer to a question: repainting the fixed propane tank. I am finding i have much to learn, and for the most part, it will be up to me to do it, or find someone who can! It looks like there are many helpful people here. kay b.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #41
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybothell View Post
hello! i'm a gal and will be the only poster in this fam cuz my husb is disabled and can't do so. i will be looking to this forum for help in maintaining our new (to us) MH. first day (today) on this site i found an answer to a question: repainting the fixed propane tank. I am finding i have much to learn, and for the most part, it will be up to me to do it, or find someone who can! It looks like there are many helpful people here. kay b.

Welcome to the forum. We're glad you're here.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #42

Almost ready to rv

Mae here. ( I read on site and pas on info to DH) Just lurking and learning for now as "stuff" to be done is taking more time than Phil planned 😞. We appreciate all the great information on this site. Hope for a start early in 2016!