Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Where did you buy health insurance to cover gap before medicare

We are in a spot of being retired and not quite old enough for medicare. I am 11 months away and DW 2 yrs. What did you do for coverage? Any info please.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
We are in a spot of being retired and not quite old enough for medicare. I am 11 months away and DW 2 yrs. What did you do for coverage? Any info please.
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at plans on these two web sites:

Health Insurance - Find Affordable Health Insurance Plans and Buy Medical Coverage Online

and

Home | HealthCare.gov

The gov't site in the entrance to Affordable Healthcare Act (aka Obamacare) which will start enrolling people this October. The are health plans on this site that you can select just like on the first link.

Both sites allow you to compare plans farily easily.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

A few years ago we were in the same position. Found an insurance broker who was able to find what we needed. We had to interview several to find one that was experienced enough to know what choices were available.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Been there, done that. It is very expensive. If you both are in reasonable heath, then you might consider being almost self insured. Buy a catastrophic policy that has a large deductible (like $10,000) and then pays 80% above that say up to a million or so. If you are looking to have something to cover your meds and routine visits, expect to pay and pay and pay. If you have ever had a serious illness it get worse. Insurance companies are in it to make money and they have a very good handle what will happen to y'all in the time until you hit 65. They have millions of others history. It is a bet and they have to win on average, pay 20% administration costs, and make a profit. We ended up paying $1900/month towards the end of ours (for two of us), but I would do the catastrophic if I had to do over again. Now you wish you had married an older woman. The real thing here is you don't want to lose everything with a major illness and this protects your net worth.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

We have a Health Savings Account (HSA) with a $10,000 deductible. Like Lindsay said, it's for catastrophic. The HSA is funded with the $10,000 that we deposited, and any doctor or dentist visits are paid out of this. Once our deductible is met, they pay 100%. We are very healthy, but if you have any pre-existing, you'll probably have a problem. The $10,000 deductible is per family (the 2 of us), not per person. Our premium is $550.00 a month. Our policy does pay for preventive like a colonoscopy and our yearly exams. Good Luck as this is a common problem with many.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
We went to the Humana site and looked, as well as others. Whe had Humana when we were working so we started there.

Then we found an independent agent, who came by that represented Humana and several other plans. After comparing several of the Humana plans plus several other companies we went with a Humana Plan.

There many out there.
Pick what you want for coverage, not what they want to sell you.
You can also change it each year if you want. Not all plans are sold in all areas.

As you get closer to "the age" you will be bombarded with mail from all the companies as well as phone calls.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #7

If your are or were ever in the military look into VA medical.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
DW and I both had some pre-existing conditions. Went the broker route no help. Searched Blue Cross Blue Sheild, they covered us! Yeah right, the premium for both of us was $48,000.00 yearly!!! The had the adasity to say " Congratulations." Needless to say we were uninsured for six years. DW still is she will be 64 in April. I made it to 65 so were are keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks for the information on affordable health care enrollment in October we will certainly take advantage of this offer.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Clayobx...

I understand exactly where you are coming from.

It sounds like our past situation. We were without insurance for almost 4 years.
After the wife's Cobra ran out the cost was astronomical, IF we could find anyone to cover our per-existing conditions. Those that would cover were very few and far between.

As soon as we were in the eligibility period for Medicare and Gap Ins., every insurance company wanted to cover both of us. Even the ones that had turned us down including Humana, which we both had previously had for insurance.

While checking out plans we also talked with frinds in other States. That is when we found that some areas do not carry some plans, as they still have to meet state regulations.

You will be surprised at what you can get once the magic 65 nears. We sure were.

I almost forgot. We did not take the drug coverage. Why? Because we found a plan marketed through CVS that for $45 per year covers 98% of all our Rx at $11.00 per 90 day refill. Also getting generic from CVBS is even cheaper.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Retired U.S. Navy. TRICARE is my only insurance until time for Medicare then TRICARE For Life becomes the supplemental.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
Retired U.S. Navy. TRICARE is my only insurance until time for Medicare then TRICARE For Life becomes the supplemental.
Ronny - I'm in that boat today. I turn 65 this summer. Will have to enroll in Medicare part A then get Coverage for Part B. TFL will cover anythng over the deductables and meds. But, the variety of Part B plans is bewildering.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post

Ronny - I'm in that boat today. I turn 65 this summer. Will have to enroll in Medicare part A then get Coverage for Part B. TFL will cover anythng over the deductables and meds. But, the variety of Part B plans is bewildering.
I got my part B, plan F thru Members Health Group in Tennessee.
You must be a member of The Farm Bureau (insurance) of your home county in order to get this coverage. However, their Plan F was about 25 to 30$ less per month than any others we checked.
Good luck in your search
Larry
Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsman View Post
I got my part B, plan F thru Members Health Group in Tennessee.
You must be a member of The Farm Bureau (insurance) of your home county in order to get this coverage. However, their Plan F was about 25 to 30$ less per month than any others we checked.
Good luck in your search
Larry
Will have to look into joining. Thanks.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MY DW has Medicare and TFL and so far with all the doctor visits and surgery there has been zero cost. Both our meds are through the military mail order system which is zero cost rather than co-pay at retail pharmacy.

Try this link for info: https://www.hnfs.com/content/hnfs/ho...ndretiree.html

TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance