Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Years ago we used to get glasses every year thru my employers insurance. Back about 15 years ago that went to once every two years. I went to the same place "Union Eye Care" where with bi-focals, and poly lenses my out of pocket cost was about $30 or $50.

But this past time they said the price of all eye glasses nationally has gone up, so now the my out of pocket was closer to $200. My insurance stayed the same too. That wasn't sitting to well with me, I didn't buy it. I ended up at another place for a little lower quality pair for about $60 out of pocket.

So in the end the place I have used for 40 years will not get any more of my business. They didn't really didn't seem to care.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #16

I just ordered a pair from Zenni Optical on line.

My first pair were from Sams with my insurance. I paid less for the Zenni pair straight cash with no insurance help. I get a progressive bi-focal so my glasses are a little higher than the usual. On this pair I ordered 85% tint for use as driving sunglasses. Paid $50 and got a little higher priced frame.

You can get glasses from Zenni for $25.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This has been very interesting and next year I'll try Zenni. Txs to all for the input.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I've always used LensCrafters, they're expensive but I've never had ANY problem with the quality of their work. The one issue I have with them is they always try to sell you (aggressively) an anti-glare coating for the lenses which is supposed to reduce glare at night. It's a complete waste of money: I noticed no difference and my glasses were constantly smudging and would not stay clean. Pass on that option, it's pure profit for them. I even had one salesperson tell me I had to get the coating, they couldn't take it out of the sales order. I stood up and said "well, guess I'll go elsewhere, then". He changed his tune real quick.
For me, the anti-glare option was well worth the $60 additional cost. In daylight, no discernible difference. At night, instead of large stars surrounding every light, the lights are sharp and precisely focused. Quite simply, it makes driving at night a joy, rather than a problem. You might want to give it a try.

(It may be because I now have intra-ocular implants, following cataract surgery.)

Again, just my humble opinion.

GL Arnold
Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #19

I use 39dollarglasses.com. I have had great luck with them. They offer transition lenses too for a extra fee.
I also didn't like the anti-glare coating. Always smudging.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the road, I'm in line behind Dog Folks at Walmart. They do a good job, quick and not too expensive. (no eye glasses ins). At home base, usually use eyemart express....but their selection has been going downhill...so may stick with old WM.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I did not find transitions on the site - those that change tint for inside to outside. Are they in there and I just did not see them?
Yes, Zenni offers actual Transitions brand or a less expensive Photochromic lens (not patented like Transitions). You have those options when you select the lenses while creating the order.

I currently wear progressive lenses with the generic Photochromic darkening lenses from Zenni and they are quite nice.

Make sure you understand frame size for proper fit and your Pupilary Distance before ordering and I think you will be pleased.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #22

Spent hours and hours reading customer evals of online stores, what I did was go to google and type in 'Complaints about {name of supplier}'. Amazing how many complaints there were for nearly all of them. Zenni had a lot of complaints. And many went unresolved by them. But...out of the 25 or so companies I investigated, they all seemed to fall short of what we'd like to think is ethical behavior. Many seemed to use the same Chinese supplier and had the same sorts of complaints...like it was mainly one company in China that supplied most of the resellers. The suppliers didn't seem that interested in making their customer base happy (with some exceptions). If your order was right the first time, they'd get a good review. But many of the problems occurred with the promised delivery date, the wrong prescription, and wrong frames, ill fitting frames, and the like.

Finally, after what seemed like months of investigating, I stumbled across a supplier that had a majority of praise rather then complaints. And those few complaints they had, they resolved quickly. The glasses I bought from them were made in San Francisco. And they bent over backwards to replace the one incorrect lens they'd made out of the 8 lenses they'd produced (4 pair; sun glasses, computer glasses, bi-focals, regular long distance). They even called me to set up my shipping address since I'd mentioned in my email that I was a full time RV'er and might be moving on soon. One frame was expensive, $35, for the bi-focals, and the other three were titanium bend-ables that I like even better for $15 each. Bought them last Aug. and am still very happy with them. Four pairs of prescription glasses for under $100. Can't be beat.

They are ZipOptical. I don't own any stock and have no financial interest in them.

BTW, I opted for the anti-glare coating and in my case, it actually works, never have those weird looking rings around lights at night, and is scratch and fingerprint resistant (but not fingerprint or scratch PROOF).

JMHO!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Costco is the best price and quality value. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We buy glasses where we buy everything else...Wally World.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do not buy Glasses at America' Best. They advertise 2 pair of Glasses for $ 69.- including Eye exam. But this means regular Plastic Lenses for Reading or Distance. ByFocals start at $ 99.- per Lens and are almost unusable because of the small Polished area of the lenses. If you like a larger reading area you will pay up to $ 198.- per Lens. If you only Buy one Pair of Glasses you will be charged for the Eye exam. Rip off.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post

Interesting - I've used Costco the past several years but have also used Walmart & Kaiser Permanente. I did not find transitions on the site - those that change tint for inside to outside. Are they in there and I just did not see them?
Last pair I got from Costco had Transitions. Nice but they were a little too dark inside and at night.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesely View Post
Do not buy Glasses at America' Best. They advertise 2 pair of Glasses for $ 69.- including Eye exam. But this means regular Plastic Lenses for Reading or Distance. ByFocals start at $ 99.- per Lens and are almost unusable because of the small Polished area of the lenses. If you like a larger reading area you will pay up to $ 198.- per Lens. If you only Buy one Pair of Glasses you will be charged for the Eye exam. Rip off.
I second that! I just got 2 pair there. Bi-focal and computer. Being a single vision for the `puter classes, they charged less for the second pair, but it still cost me $218.**. I don't think you can actually get a pair for $69 or $99, not including tax. The exam was quite extensive with tests for color blindness, astigmatism, etc.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bought my recent ones at Walmart. They said they can make them and have them sent delivered to any Walmart I wanted.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase