Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #57
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was in my 3rd year enlistment in the US Navy, and on my 2nd Western Pacific (WestPac) deployment onboard the USS Sterett (CG-31). Being single, those were the "Fun" days going foreign port to foreign port showing the flag. Got married the following year and that's when those 6 - 9 month deployments were not fun anymore, what with a family to worry about back home.

But, still have that love to serve the country that I ended up serving 22 years in the greatest Navy in the world. GO NAVY!!!

2007 NRV Dolphin LX 6355 W24
2006 Jeep Liberty 4X4 LE
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #58
Let's see, 1977...
In my second year of college on the G.I. Bill after joining USAF in 1972;
Illinois Air National Guard in Peoria fixing O-2's,
Drove my Dad's 25' Class C for a 3 week vacation though the South.

amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Just had got out of high school (graduated) that winter here in pennsylvania a blizzard came, Haven't had that much sence then. I bought my first snowmobile and what a fun winter......
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #60
Monaco Owners Club
Did you sleigh down off your roof? Wish we would have taken pictures! Thank you for reminding me!
I could have as that was the first and last time I have ever seen snow drifts reaching the ease troughs.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner

Love that story- (thread #55).

Reminds me of the WW II story of a C-47 pilot taking off and losing an engine, loaded to the hilt, in England. He survived the crash to tell this story-
There was a guy standing in an apartment looking out his window, looking at this C-47 coming right at him. He looked away briefly, then back at the approaching airplane, and just before impact, reached up and pulled the window shade down!! .

I was in the Air Force stationed at Randolph AFB, Headquarters Air Training Command, in the pilot training business. I retired the next year.
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #62
Where were you in 1977 ??

First 6 months - quiet life on a SD farm - busy though - then all heck broke loose -----

Lets see 17 yoa rural South Dakota - graduated high school 15 days later
First cab ride, airplane ride, jet ride, out of South Dakota gray bus and some yelling later - boot camp San Diego. Then another plane ride and cab ride first time on a ship - USS Dale CG-19 in dry dock Charlestson SC,
then haze gray n underway turned 18 in middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
Then back to San Diego for school - ya gotta love the government.

Everyone remember wanting to be 18 yoa to buy first beer (ok - legally)...well no beer on US Navy ship.
Intersting year in life of small town person from the farm.
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #63
U.S Army

Jan to July of 1977 Ft. Ritchie, Maryland, communications installation team.

Spent the next year United States Army Garrison Yongsan, Seoul Korea

StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #64
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SStarted the year working for Grinding Service.. Where Lou could sharpen just about anything including your wits.

Feburay I got letter from Michigan State Police, thought "uh oh, now what" opened it and found a job offer.. Accepted and on Washington's birthday (Well the day the country used to celebrate it) went to work as a police dispatcher, 25 years and change later, on Halloween, I retired. Next Feb, I get Social Security if all goes well. (Applicaiton filed last week)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Third class petty officer in Patrol Squadron Twenty Two, NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii.
2005 Dutch Star 4009 - 2006 Toyota Tacoma or 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #66
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 1977, I was going to Prince Georges Community College in Landover, Maryland. I had classes all day Tuesdays/Thursdays.

I worked the other five days at a bakery in Langley Park, Maryland. My shift started at 5am to pack the donut & pastry orders, and then I worked the counter when the bakery opened. My boss had a wonderful business philosophy that you couldn't be a good salesperson if you didn't know what the products tasted like, so all items were free to be sampled.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #67
Monaco Owners Club
We moved back to our home town Chilliwack BC, where I started my own business with a log truck. We were living in Richmond BC, where I was shop foreman for a large earthmover tire repair facility. It was a better place to raise our 3 kids who were just starting into
school. Life was good then, the good old days. But now we are retired and RVing and life is great aside from the being old aches and pains.

The post #55 reminded me of a story a friend of mine told about being in that flight simulator. He said you can get caught up in what you are doing and forget that it is a simulator.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #68
I must say I am surprised at all the responses,,, Thankyou ! It is very interesting reading of the diversity of the people in the RV community...
Here's wishing everybody a Safe and Happy Holidays !!
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #69
Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thumbs up Where ws I in 1977

Marine Detrachment, Naval Air Station, Millington, Tn. 1976-1979.
Thanks to all my brothers and sisters who have served and currently serve in all branches. "Freedom had a special meaning that the protected will never know."
Capt USMC (Ret)
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #70
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Living in beautiful Traverse City, Michigan.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote