Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Excel Owners Club
What are you doing right now?

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
I was sitting in a classroom waiting for class to begin. It was a class on tax law for IRS employees In Dallas, TX. The phone rang and we were told to turn on the tv. We saw the second plane hit. We were imediatly told to evacuate the 30 story building for fear that this may be a prime target here in downtown Dallas. We were sent home and I watched tv for several hours at home. Please remember all of the people and their families that were affected by this. God Bless America.

2014 Wildwood 27RKSS 2004 Nissan Titan Pilot Steve
Co-Pilot Marlene Furry Four Leg children: Fancy Lab/Chow, LB Little Bit, Maltese, Rocky, Border Terrier
StStg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
I was just leaving the 911 center where I worked. As I was driving home, I listened to the news coverage as I went home, and decided I probably better head to the FD where I volunteered. We cover a fairly active airport that is large enough to handle commercial traffic. After spending all day there, I went back to work for another 12 hour shift, watching the coverage. Lost 343 bretheren that day, and I'll never forget it.

I'm a fulltime FF now, and one of my co-workers was in FL getting married when it happened. Her and her now husband couldn't get a flight, couldn't get a rental car, and ended up driving from Orlando to KC in a U-Haul.
wa0elm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was in my office in Fl. and watched with horror on TV. I was scheduled to fly to PA. on the 12th to attend the Hershey show ( we were in the process of buying our first MH .

I saw these buildings being built and subsequently lived in Battery Park city which was built on land fill from the Trade Center. They went down about 25 stories to do the foundation. They extended the island of Manhattan by 92 acres with this landfill.
I moved to Fl. in 95 . Lucky for me as I would have been walking to work at the same time of the attack and probably would have stuck around to see if I could be of any help.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was getting my route ready to deliver, USPS carrier. One of the employees had a radio on and stated that a plane had hit the Trade Center. In about 20 minutes we were called to a stand up meeting stating that there was possible terriost attacks on the U.S., we were instructed to obtain fuel to top off the delivery vehicles. Here in Houston most if not all of the major high rise buildings were evacuated along with the refineries in the area. Traffic was a nightmare and filling stations were packed. We were instructed to continue our routes. My kids kept me up todate on the cell phone and asked if I was OK. Watched portions of it after I got off work.
2008 Coachmen 288FKS-2000 F-250 4x4 V-10/
Fur Baby Lilbit and Diesel
Come grow old with me the best is yet to be TEXAS BOOMERS
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We (myself, wife and 2 sons) were on a cross-country trip in our 24' motorhome. Headed West to East we had gone North into Canada and up around the Great Lakes to re-enter the US at Niagara Falls.

We had no idea of what was taking place and did not have the radio on. When we got to the border crossing at Niagara Falls at about 2pm, the border guards seemed a bit uneasy but simply did their job. We still had no clue at that point.

We wanted to see the falls so we parked the motorhome and began walking into the park towards the falls. A park ranger came through shooing everyone out saying we all had to leave. Again, no explanation.

We were headed to Buffalo, NY next to visit with my wife's brother so we called him and he was surprised that we were able to cross the border and proceeded to tell us what had happened and that we should head straight to his house. I remember driving there and half expecting to see mushroom clouds in the distance. It still gives me shivers today to think about it.
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Very similar to Clifftall - in our kitchen loading the cooler for a trip to the PA Rv show with the tv on so I watched it all 'live'. ALso stopped loading the food and DH stopped loading the truck camper. He was concerned that if we left DE to attend a PA show we may not have a bridge to return home!

Clifftall, was it really Hershey in 2001? I sort of thought it was still Harrisburg when we bought our 1998 Holiday Rambler in Willow Street PA from a a dealer at the show. But we attended so many times at both places it is sort of a blur. Old age does not help either.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It was in Harrisburg.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #23
Salt Lake City...I was watching the news when it was all happening, waiting to take my wife Melissa to the airport. We never made it to the airport and she drove back to Denver. It was real eerie when the Air Force base stopped flying the fighters. My office was at the end of their runway. But when they started flying again they were carrying live missiles and not the practice dummies like normal. It was a crazy time that we will never forget. I want to give our Armed Forces an extra special thanks for protecting us from further attacks.
Ty, Missy, Chad, Levi & Seth
Canfield, Ohio
2000 Viking 1906 Saga
tmbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was at our State Farm home office, in Bloomington IL, for a week of classes relative to a new position I'd just taken with the company (I'd been working for them, in a different capacity, for over 20 years at that point). Any given week there are probably a few hundred people, from all over the country, visiting the home office for various reasons. The company was now faced with the task of getting everyone home, with the airlines grounded. I thought they did an great job.

I was one of the lucky ones. I lived close enough to the home office that I'd driven my own car. Most will fly into either St. Louis or Chicago and get a short commuter flight or rent a car to get to the office. Many would rent a car once in town. The company has long standing agreements with IL rental offices for this reason. Most contracts include the agreement that the cars would not leave Illinois. It was announced to all that if they had one of these rental cars, and no other way home, just take the car home. Do not call the rental company, just let State Farm know, they'd deal with it, and any related costs. We had a large contingent there that week from Texas. The company chartered a bus to get them home and told those taking it there would be two stops made in TX, they'd have to find a way home from one of those two. Others were put up until flights resumed later, many from CA and HI. I don't think the following Monday there was anyone left in Bloomington, they'd found a way to get everyone home. Those from NY, including from NYC, were 'rushed' home, some because of family in the buildings, others to help deal with the flood of claims expected. I think its also the only time in the companys history that there was some planning for a possible "Life CAT". CAT is the term we use to describe what is typically the hundreds, or thousands, of claims we'd get as a result of a natural catastrophy, such as a hurricane, or tornado. No one had ever thought we might need a contingency for a life insurance 'CAT'. Our New York teams, many with their own family concerns, performed admirably in what was a very difficult time for their fellow NY citizens and the country.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
It was in Harrisburg.
Sorry. It was Harrisburg. What did I have for breakfast???

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Where were you on 9/11? Briefly tell us where you were and if you watched it happen in ''real time'' on your television like l did.
I was just getting ready to go out the door for a bike ride when I saw Matt Lauer on the Today show interrupt an interview with breaking news.

I was puzzled at how anyone could accidently fly into the WTC as I looked at the live video showing the impact point of AA11. On TV, it was difficult to judge the scale; I could, however, clearly see the outline of the aircraft with wing mounted engines. My first guess was a Boeing 737, or similar type. I watched in horror as UA175 impacted 2 WTC a few minutes later.

It wasn’t long before the media began reporting another ‘missing’ airplane and described it as an American Airlines flight from Dulles to Los Angeles. Tears welled in my eyes as I searched an American Airlines employee website for information on AA77. You see, as a pilot for American, I had flown the Dulles to Los Angeles trips in August and knew our schedule. As is the protocol for hijacked flights, as soon as our System Operations Control recognizes that a hijack has occurred, all pertinent information regarding that flight is ‘locked out’ so that those without a need to know are unable to query the system for specific info. AA77 had already been locked out. I knew that the crew for AA77 on 9/11 would be scheduled to work AA76 (Los Angeles to Dulles) on 9/12. Info regarding AA76 was still available…

9:37:46 a.m. (EDT)

Captain Charles (Chic) Burlingame
First Officer David Charlebois
Flight Attendant Renee May
Flight Attendant Michelle Heidenberger
Flight Attendant Jennifer Lewis
Flight Attendant Kenneth Lewis

Chic and I were hired three months apart in 1979/1980. Dave and I flew the Los Angeles trips together during August. I had flown with Renee and Ken in August.

Renee was bubbling with excitement as she described her plans for her upcoming wedding. I had told Ken that although I was happy to fly with him, I was always happier when it was the ‘other’ Lewis (Ken’s wife Jennifer) on my crew. Ken and Jennifer rarely flew together; since they were leaving for a vacation immediately upon their return from Los Angeles, they wanted to be together on their last trip before their vacation.

M.J. Booth was a passenger; she was also the secretary for American Airlines’ Dulles General Manager. Her office was immediately adjacent to our pilot Operations area. M.J. had worked for American Airlines almost forever (OK, 45 years) and was just a ‘hoot’ to talk with. One day, she answered a phone call while I was in her office. It was apparent that it was her boss on the other end of the call and he was asking for her to do something for him. I don’t know what it was that he had demanded from her, but, I loved her response, “Hell no, I won’t do that! What, do you think I’ve got AA tattooed on my ass?” I’m pretty sure that she did NOT have AA tattooed on her ass; there is no doubt in my mind that she DID have AA tattooed on her heart.

These weren’t simply faceless names in a long list in the newspaper…they were my peers, my friends and co-workers. We had, over many years shared so many good times.

I had joined the Navy right after college so I could learn to fly airplanes. I wasn’t very far into flight training when it was made clear that the Navy didn’t want me to ‘just fly airplanes’. My mission would be to employ a weapons system that was designed to rain down death and destruction on those deemed worthy of death and destruction by our government. I was OK with that concept. When I left the Navy to fly for American Airlines, I realized a new joy in flying. I got to take Grandma’s and Grandpa’s to see their grandkids for the first time. I got to take brothers and sisters home for a holiday visit. I got to take folks my age to spend time with their parents before they passed on to eternity. I got to take business men and women to meetings where they did their deals that made the world a better place or made money, maybe even both. It provided me with great satisfaction and joy, knowing that I was providing safe, comfortable travel for my passengers.

On 9/11, I watched in horror as my beautiful flying machines were turned into horrible weapons of mass destruction.

It’s not been the same since.

Never forget.

777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #27
Workhorse Chassis Owner
don't mean to pop any "i feel old" bubbles here but...

I was in my Shop class my Sr. year in HIGH SCHOOL... i was almost done with my welding test, perfect weld too when my instructor came and nudged my arm to tell me to shut it down and come watch this... at the time i was more pissed that my own instructor just failed me, until i saw what was going on... he gave me an A for my weld UP TO his nudge. year later i enlisted in the Air Force, deployed once, got out on medical for a messed up back... it was a weird day thats for sure!!
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #28
Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I was working in an office in Orlando with a group of 20-30 year olds. When the news announcer interrupted a live feed from New York to state that there were unconfirmed reports the Pentagon had been hit, one of these little pizzants asked, "What's the Pentagon?"

Another one of them authoritatively stated, "Oh, it's just that big tall 'monument thingy' near the White House where those reflecting ponds are
...You know!!, it was, like, in the Forest Gump movie when he and Jenny kissed and all...

I had to get up and walk out of the room to avoid adding to the carnage of the day.

I cannot wrap myself around the fact that over THREE THOUSAND ordinary people kissed their spouse and kids goodbye that day (or perhaps did not kiss them...) And they never returned home.

I hope I am NEVER able to wrap myself around it.

Jim and Fran in Central Florida
1989 Country Coach Sedona Mark V
Turbocharged Detroit Diesel 8.2L "Fuel Pincher"
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote