Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Where would you retire ?
Pacific 20 23.26%
Mountain 7 8.14%
West North Central 0 0%
West South Central 12 13.95%
East North Central 2 2.33%
East South Central 11 12.79%
New England 3 3.49%
Mid-Atlantic 2 2.33%
South Atlantic 23 26.74%
Outside U.S. (please specify) 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Automobilist: Is this your wish list or where you actually live now? Sounds like a deal to me.

Been here 53 years... Seen virtually every other section of the country as an airline pilot, none meet these parameters. My absolute requirements are: No bugs, little humidity, NO SNOW & NO SWEAT...

2012 Montana 3582RL
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #30
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Been here 53 years... Seen virtually every other section of the country as an airline pilot, none meet these parameters. My absolute requirements are: No bugs, little humidity, NO SNOW & NO SWEAT...
Encinitas, CA ? Majestic mountains ?!?!

I beg to differ on that.

I worked at Scripps Encinitas, so I have a fairly good idea of that region. But I didn't see any "majestic mountains" anywhere there, none, at least, that can compare to the Rockies, Chugach or the Cascades.

It is a nice area though, don't get me wrong. But I can surely do without the traffic, or the expensive cost-of-living....

Lou & Cheri - Pilot & Copilot
Aly & Susi - Miniature Schnauzer Navigator & Bombadier
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27 - CG-1 Bomber
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #31
We chose North central Florida after a search of two and a half years. Rural but not isolated. Mild to moderate winters with no snow. No State income tax and reasonably low property taxes. Rolling hills and Live Oak trees amid an agricultural based economy. Pace of life here perhaps slower than some would care for though. Everything we need close by, everything we want within easy driving distance. Tallahassee sixty miles west , Jacksonville eighty miles east, Gainesville eighty miles south. Valdosta, Ga. thirty miles.
We are located, intentionally, twenty miles from I75 and seven miles from I10 making convenient access to major routes and several airport choices. Cost of living comparable with the agricultural base.
Hopefully our last move here six years ago.

" there are no coincidences"
Madisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #32
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are doing it finally! Summer in central NY on the lake. Winter take the MH to Fl mostly in the Keys. As already said, the summers are beautiful here but the winter too hard to take.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #33
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Virginia, out in the country, to be near 5 kids and 5 grandkids with the RV as our escape pod to explore the remaining USA. (and this was an informed decision after visiting all 50 states multiple times - but for the record, the RV didn't go to Alaska or Hawaii with us).
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club

In the words of an old country song "If heaven ain't a lot like Texas, I don't want to go"
Jimmy & Tre
Katy, TX
2014 Allegro Red 38QRA
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
There are only a couple of States that I have missed and I expect to remedy that soon.
Many are beautiful and offer the weather that I like at least part of the year. A person can look at only so many pretty rocks and around the next corner what you get is another pretty rock.
However there are only a very few places on this earth that the kids live and work. Being close allows me to be part of their life and there are no do agains! I'll be as close as they'll let me, and I don't care where in the world that is! Although the winter time I will be "South". (South Texas, South Florida, or South AZ, South CALF.) I have yet been to one place that has it all, and that includes family, as they are in several States.
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #36
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Family (and grandkids ) brought us to Southeastern PA after spending five decades in Southern California.

PA has beautiful countryside, low state income tax (3.1%), retiree friendly (no income tax on pensions or SS), low vehicle registration ($36 cars, $81 MH), and friendly people. We are in gorgeous horse country and when it snows it's beautiful. Beats the masses of people, houses 10 feet apart, lots of pavement, cars and smog in sunny California!

From a fellow Californian, that all sounds terrific.... except for the snow.... maybe the mosquitos.... possible tornado's.... Do they speak English in PA?
Tom & Kelly
'02 Mt. Aire DP 4095
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #37
We will stay in Arizona where we reside now when we can't RV any longer.
Linda and Ron
Looking for new Georgetown XL
2013 Scion XD
LinCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #38
Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Guess I'm the only New England vote so far. I was born and raised in Florida and Mom and sisters still live there. Moved to New York a dozen years ago and love it but too expensive. Can't get over the beauty of New England, will probably settle in New Hampshire because of the no taxes benefit. Snow doesn't matter because if I'm ready to stop traveling I can enjoy the beauty of it through a window.
Fulltime workamper traveling with Toy Poodles Cricket and Liza and Standard Poodle Gable
decodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #39
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
I'm with Autiomobilist on this. I also agree with another poster about the traffic, but for me, what traffic, Im retired. There is no traffic. I can be in Nevada, Arizona in 3 hours.
I have a friend that wanted to get away from the insanity of So. Cal, so he moved to Montana for it's beauty and slower pace of life as well as cheaper living. Now he is freezing his ass off in the winter and all of his friends are outta there by December. I have been there and it is one of the most beautiful places in th USA. Trouble is for a wimp from So. Cal. it's also very COOOoooolllld in the winter.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't do what I did--

Pick your "stick and brick" home either up North or down South.
Then travel in the other direction for the "other season"- while you can.

I ended up "in-between". We seem to just "pass through" the home place twice a year (North Carolina)-.
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #41
I'd like a state that would not tax me to death on what I have left,which isn't much. Any suggestions? Wife and I talked about it this morning. We can't afford to keep what we have now and everything is paid for. I don't care about beaches and mountains I can always travel to them.My Fed tax is cheap , but State tax, real estate, personal property, and local taxes are killing me here in STL. Plus everyone is worrying about Mexico, but I don't think they have as many shootings that go on in St Louis. It's bad.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #42
Perry I'm in stl to. Texas is attractive, so are both north & south Dakota. I hear good things about fl also.

stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote