Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Which house generator???

Anyone out there as any experience with house generators, I'm thinking about installing a natural gas generator at my house since we just got hit with the storm and we had a power outage, I have two brands in mind generac or kohler, anyone out there as had any experience with any of these? Thanks Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2

They run clean, but the gas gets shut off in disasters.

Go diesel, use red untaxed fuel, more power in fuel
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Craigslist 5500 watt wheeled portable generator here - $300 + installing electrical inlet and main breaker lockout on our electric panel - I keep a few 5 gallon cans of gas onhand, plus the dual gas tanks in our pickup truck to be siphoned if needed.

Worked great in a ~two day power outage last year.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We are in NJ with no line power since Monday night. Ten seconds after the power went out, my Kohler 20kw generator automatically kicked in and has been running nonstop for 5 days now.

Ours runs on propane and our supplier comes 2x a week to keep us filled up.

You do not want to deal with gas or diesel. The lines are 4 hours long at the station. You will find yourself like some of my neighbors who have to shut down their genset to save gas.

In my house, the Kohler powers EVERYTHING!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used Natural Gas powered generator at my Job site, it is a vital "communications Hub" and if it goes down (Which it did one evening) about 1/4 of the state of Michigan looses police communications, some fire and EMS as well... Thankfully I was able to put it back on line (long story, not a power fail). But I will admit I did it by holding a phone in one hand and a circuit board in the other and doing EXACTLY what the voice on the other end told me to do.

Great cheer was heard when the light turned green on our status board.

So, consider, does the gas get shut off when "Stuff" happens in your neighborhood? That is the first question. IF it does then Diesel or Propane are your choices. The prior office had diesel, contaminated diesel, They were able to get it up and runnign but .. Well, two techniicans and a 5 gallon bucket and pouring clean fuel into it from more cans was what it took.

Now, as to which is better, Genrac or Kohler.. It's the old six half dozen thing, The one at the last office was a Genrac, Big Block chevy V8, Natural gas power, Genrac Tranny (I know, I looked at it) Not sure what they had at the older offices. (Frankly not my job to worry about those) I would say both are quality brands, Kind of a Ford/chevy thing. I would not snub my nose at either one.

Just remember to exercise it per the owner's manual
Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere
We are in NJ with no line power since Monday night. Ten seconds after the power went out, my Kohler 20kw generator automatically kicked in and has been running nonstop for 5 days now.

Ours runs on propane and our supplier comes 2x a week to keep us filled up.

You do not want to deal with gas or diesel. The lines are 4 hours long at the station. You will find yourself like some of my neighbors who have to shut down their genset to save gas.

In my house, the Kohler powers EVERYTHING!
The natural gas or propane is the way to go. You never have to go anywhere for fuel, and you don't have to worry about bad fuel in the carb because it sat too long. I know gasoline or diesel has more power, but for the amount of usage, way less problems with the NG or propane.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm considering natural gas also.

I think concerns about the gas being shut off depends on where your neighborhood is.

My only concern is extended power outages.

I prefer Kohler, but I see only Generacs in use.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 17kw Generac connected to natural gas.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

After Hurricane Ike in 2008, we spent two weeks without power in the Texas heat, humidity and mosquitoes. Shortly after the power came on, we started shopping for a whole-house generator but never followed through with the purchase. Last year we bought an RV, and now we don't worry about it. If a storm heads our way, we'll grab the dog and head outta here till the power's back on.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I HAVE HAD A 15kw GENERAC WITH A 990CC HONDA ENGINE FOR ABOUT 8YRS.IT RUNS EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE AND IT HAS COME IN HANDY NUMEROUS TIMES.I HAVE IT ON PROPANE.I JUST DO REGULAR MAINT.AND IT EXCERISES IT SELF ONCE A WEEK AND IT HAS NEVER FAILED.I GOT IT AT HOME DEPOT AFTER INSTALL I BELEIVE IT WAS ABOUT 4500.00.GOOD LUCK!!! AND I HOPE THIS HELPS
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If I had such a large generator, 10,15 or 20 kw it would be diesel, and I would also have a permanent 200 gallon fuel tank connected to it. I presume a large generator is quite expensive and adding a large fuel tank would be a minimal additional cost.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
No experience with either one except I have a Generac in my RV. I do have a 5500w generator for the house. When I built the house, I had the electrican wire it for a portable gennerator. I plug it in and throw a switch to isolate the generator from the power co. A legal requirement. Living in the boonies of northern Michigan, the powet goes out often. The $400 genny I bought has served us very well over the last 7 years. We have a 220v well, 2 fridges, a freezer. We run the furnance watch TV, use the internet all without problems. It is a bit less convienient than a $5000 auto start system, buy I always have 10 mins to do it manually.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #13

Unfortunately, we will never cover all the bases. NG is for the most part reliable, never have to worry about running out of fuel or the truck showing up to refill. However, after such extreme events as Katrina and Sandy, no fuel system is fool proof.
The most important part regarding a stand by system purchase is finding a knowledgeable, reliable dealer and installer. Too many of them are sold on line or in box stores but they are not plug and play. Most dealers do not do the install, this requires a licensed electrician and gas fitter who are familiar with them. I work for a wholesale distributor and in the past for a retail dealer, we are constantly dealing with incompetence.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
After Hurricane Ike in 2008, we spent two weeks without power in the Texas heat, humidity and mosquitoes. Shortly after the power came on, we started shopping for a whole-house generator but never followed through with the purchase. Last year we bought an RV, and now we don't worry about it. If a storm heads our way, we'll grab the dog and head outta here till the power's back on.
There ya go! Perfect solution, and you will get more use and fun than a house generator
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator