Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which one to join

i''m looking at all sorts of memberships to join, which one is a good one??
Good Sam, AAA, Koa, Thousand Trails, FMCA, coach Net, NMC
The list can go on, I belong to GS, Koa as of right now. Please help me out to make up my mind.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
i''m looking at all sorts of memberships to join, which one is a good one??
Good Sam, AAA, Koa, Thousand Trails, FMCA, coach Net, NMC
The list can go on, I belong to GS, Koa as of right now. Please help me out to make up my mind.
I belong to GS, FMCA, Ocean Canyon, I use the forums on FMCA and here on iRV2. I find iRV2 forums to be the best.

JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's way i came to Irv2. I'm sure you all will treat me right and word of mouth is the best thing.
Not trying to make a sell
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

Part of it depends on where you are/go. We have a family membership to 1000 Trails as my parents are members but going to get a coast to coast as it has more members where we are. They full time and have 4 or 5 memberships I think. (Their house has no foundation, only wheels.)
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What are you looking for? FMCA, Good Sams, Escapees are associations that offer member benefits such as camping discounts, regional and mfg clubs etc. IRV2 is the most informative site I've found. Now, if you are asking which camping Club, Thousand trails, Coast to coast or Resort parks they all have plus and minuses. If you just want discount camping try Passport America. One can't join everything as you won't have any money for camping. We have coast to coast and it allows 10-12 bucks and a lot of campgrounds. so does Resort Parks. every yr we debate keeping it or just using Passport America. 1000 trails has many different plans, but be careful as some are lifetime memberships that require annual dues forevefr (unless you can sell it through a broker). They advertise their club aas private parks, but, they just opened them up Nationally to the public.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Some of the groups listed are high dollar. We joined 1000 Trails, it was a mistake and are going to let it expire, turns out their locations don't fit our travels.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #7

As an aside, your question reminds me of when a collegue at Boeing, originally from India, became a US citizen. His question was "Now I'm officially an American Indian, which tribe should I join?"
Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #8

If you are 62 or more get the federal government's Senior Pass for $10.00 and it is good for life. Free into all parks and other federal things like museums. 50% off at government campgrounds. COE, BLM, National Forest, National Park, etc. CGs.

Passport America for about $50.00 per year gives you 50% off at over 1700 participating campgrounds. Will pay for itself in 5 nights or less.

Good Sam is good. I have both GS and GS Emergency Road Service.

These four are all you need. I do not go to KOA except when stuck with no where else to go. They are overpriced dumps IMHO.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are just week enders for now, Friday, Sunday. our travel is about 500 mile. Only because of that thing called JOB. i'm ready for full time.
Here in North Carolina we travel to the coast, or the mountains. But you just never know the MH is going to breakdown. I here some bad things about GS.
So i'm looking for the best bang for my buck. for road assit. and CG discounts.
We have only been doing this for about a year now.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
We are just week enders for now, Friday, Sunday. our travel is about 500 mile. Only because of that thing called JOB. i'm ready for full time.
Here in North Carolina we travel to the coast, or the mountains. But you just never know the MH is going to breakdown. I here some bad things about GS.
So i'm looking for the best bang for my buck. for road assit. and CG discounts.
We have only been doing this for about a year now.
The question of what you're looking for is really key here. I would separate the road service and CG discount objectives because I don't know of a single club which does a good job at both. For road service I think you'll find CoachNet is probably the most popular here.

For CGs with your restricted sphere of travel I would look on line at the specific areas you want to stay and investigate which clubs the majority of CGs there belong to and make your decision accordingly.

For full timers... or those who do a lot of extended travel... Good Sam and Passport America are no brainers IMO and pay for themselves easily. PA puts a lot of restrictions on when you get the discount... especially in the south east... so it might not help with weekend stays.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Someone else mentioned Passport America. We have been members for many years and our savings always outweigh the annual fee. Check out their website and see if their participating campgrounds are located in areas you will be traveling in.

We used to have the KOA card back when it was $10 a year. When they raised it to $24 we dropped it and haven't missed it.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Joined FMCA for the medical plan. Nice to know they'll get me and my coach home if anything happens on the road medically.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We belong to GS and their Road Service, we have had great service from the road service. Had to use them 2 times. We are life members of GS Club and on the Tennessee State Staff for them as unpaid volunteers. Try the Chapter camping and meet some great people. Also belong to KOA, Passport America and Camp Club USA. We are fulltimers and just starting to travel this great Nation. KOA's are a last resort, Good Sam's gets you a 10% discount at their approved Campgrounds, Passport and Camp Club get you 50% but it is restrictive in some places as to the days not only number but days of the week. You just have to try them out and see which ones suit your lifestyle.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FMCA, Passport America, Good Sam, Coach Net & Fed Senior Pass. Had a trial membership in 1000 Trails when we bought the coach. They did not meet our needs as far as location and amenities so we let it go.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote