Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Partial to Tullamore Dew Irish. I always have some Wild Turkey Bourbon around as well.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #16

X2 on Glenmorangie as a great scotch, I have a 25yr bottle, it is sooo smooth and should be savored, but I have never tasted a bad Scotch Malt, Been to a lot of distilleries in Scotland including Glenmorangie and enjoyed them all, especially the free samples. We have been to Scotland many times, never tire of travelling there, but once back in the late 80s we visited a small distillery near Balmoral Castle. They had a cask of malt in reserve for Charlies coronation and it was distilled in the year of his birth. Now that will be some drink when they open the barrel. (I doubt peons like most of us RVers will get a sniff of it but I would love to get the chance.)

By the way I don't drink wiskey often, but when I do it is usually pure Scotch Malt. Love sitting in my lazyboy beside a fireplace on a cold day with music in the background or reading while sipping on "neat" single malt. I have a few dozen bottles of malt in my home bar. I have had some of them for about 25 years and they were purportly 12-18 yrs old when purchased. (Don't really know if they get better with age in the bottles, have not noticed any difference.)

Oh I also have a couple of bottles of Jim Beam and Johnny Walker Blue for some of my less discerning visitors, and a bottle of Connemara, Single Malt Irish Whiskey, it is smooth and most certainly challanges the best Scotch I have tasted.

Anyone who does not drink a good scotch or any eingle malt neat, well, what can I say except eek. I wittnesed a person ordering a scotch and coke once. Now that is blasphemy to a scotch connoisseur.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan

Spelling aside, You may enjoy this discussion.... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/whisk...se-142727.html
Ha! Haven't thought of that thread in a while. I did include the "e" mostly by mistake but as it turns out - many scotch drinkers enjoy Irish - KY and TN sippin too - so it made sense not to ask for a Mod to change it. And here we are again proving with or without the "e" there is much to enjoy!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Choices- Do we worry about spelling or who buys the next round???
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #19

For Irish Whiskey, I'm partial to Red Breast. The 12 year is fine, the 15 is better. As for Bourbon, well, my first choice is Booker's on ice, Basil Hayden's is very good, as is Blanton's, but in different ways. Buffalo Trace is my favorite for mixing cocktails, followed by Bulleit. I've not developed a taste for Canadian whiskey, but maybe I just haven't found the right one yet :-)

Mrs. M
Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't seen it mentioned yet but right now what Thom has on the alcohol shelf is a bottle of 12 yr old Aberlour Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky (yes that's how its spelled on the label).
And while not a single malt scotch he also has a bottle of Templeton Rye Whiskey made in Templeton, Iowa. It's supposed to be a prohibition era recipe made with the recipe that Al Capone liked and served in his speakeasies.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Re the spelling - no "e" Scotch - "e" everything else as I recall, but who's got the next round is priority 1.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
By the way I don't drink wiskey often, but when I do it is usually pure Scotch Malt.
If you drink "wiskey", or even whiskey, you can pretty much guarantee it's NOT a single malt Scotch - by definition if it comes from Scotland it's whisky! Some will argue that the spelling is meaningless, but a true Scot will argue with you - and then offer up a dram

Quote:
I have had some of them for about 25 years and they were purportly 12-18 yrs old when purchased. (Don't really know if they get better with age in the bottles, have not noticed any difference.)
Once it leaves the barrel it's done. While it does get older in the bottle, it does not "age" any more. If the bottle is not tightly sealed the alcohol can evaporate and change the flavor somewhat, but buying a bottle of 12 year and letting it sit in your bar for 13 years does not make it the equal of a 25-year from the same distillery.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #23

Alan, you got me on the typos. Creating posts from my phone often causes my fingers to wander and there is no spell check with the IRV2 App. Small screens sometimes make it difficult to catch typos also. Good catch. I know how to spell "whisky". It is on every bottle.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I have never noticed any difference in drinking 12 year old scotch that has been sitting on my shelf for 20 years from a "new" bottle of 12 year old scotch.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #24

How do you guys have bottles that sit that long on the shelf? Mine never seem to make it past a few weeks!
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Re the spelling - no "e" Scotch - "e" everything else as I recall, but who's got the next round is priority 1.
Right on about the next round,

If you look at a "Canadian Club" or "Crown Royal" (both rye whisky) you will see it without the "e". But there is an "e" in the Irish Whiskey bottles I have as well as Jim Beem.

Go figure