Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
Dealer all three times.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Bought from CW Chattanooga (on consignment). They had what we wanted but their knowledge was shallow and it was extremely high pressure. Price was ok, but not great. Mostly they tell you what you want to hear. Service department is low average to poor by my experience. It will not be the first place I will look when I'm ready to buy again. Love my MH, but sorry I dealt with CW to buy it.

Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #17

Thank you all for your help.
Francina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #18
Bought my present one from camping world. No problems and only had one other dealer that would give me the same price.
Openroad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #19
Bought both of our from Camping World - both great experiences!
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
Bought our "pre-owned" Dutch Star from North Trails. Would do it again without hesitation. The salesman even steered us away from what we thought we wanted, to this coach, which was less expensive. It cost him some commission, but he thought we'd be happier in this one.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #21

Bought ours new from North Trails.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
"I'm thinking about camping world would be a good place to buy from. Did anyone have any problems buying used mh with them?"

If you want to pay more for everything, than their OK. Just my opinion. And... Everyone has one.

Enjoy the search. Make it fun; not frustrating.
1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought ours from a private party, and it saved us a ton of money.

Here in Nevada, private party vehicle sales are not taxed. I don't know how many other states charge or don't charge, but we were thrilled to find out Nevada doesn't.

Might wanna check out your state, just to see if it makes a difference.
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #24
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 1st was thru a private party, the 2nd thru a dealer. Not a problem for us either way. Both have been good choices for our needs.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #25
Senior Member / RVM 89

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
First: 24' travel trailer from private party. Great trailer, great deal, very accommodating guy who told me about everything (every unit has it's idiosyncrasies). Never had any big problems and no little problems that I couldn't take care of.

Second: 26' tt from dealer. A few things were "surprises" that we weren't told about. (Maybe the dealer didn't know about them, but my guess is they just "neglected" to mention them.) Paid more for this one than we should have.

Third: When we went to see used units at CW, the salesman kept looking at his watch. We were looking at a coach and had sat down on the couch to ask some questions when the salesman said, "Y'all can keep on looking around, but I've got to go meet my wife for lunch. I can help you out when I get back." He walked out the door of the coach, just leaving us sitting there. We had cash in our pockets to make a purchase and he walked out the door. We were even contemplating a new or nearly new Class C and may have bought a brand new 32' class C had he not left us stranded in a coach on the CW lot.

Similar experience at two other dealer lots. When I told him we were very serious about buying soon, a salesman at one dealer said, "I'll call you when we get something in that you'll be interested in. We get trade-ins every week!" He took my name and number and never called. Another salesman told me he had my "perfect coach!" I made a 5 hour drive to look at it. It was a piece of junk.

So, I started looking online on Craigslist and RVtrader and other sites. Looked at a few pigs and then found a MH that looked like it was very clean and in pretty good shape. Owner was a retired deputy sheriff. A friend who lived near seller checked out the coach and gave us a detailed report. Worked a deal with the seller and now have our first motorhome. It's had a few issues, but none that the seller really could have predicted. Some RVMutant friends repaired a plumbing problem under the kitchen sink and a couple of other things and voila'! our MH is humming along beautifully. We are very happy with it.

Our advice to anyone shopping for a RV? Be patient and keep on shopping. Look at dozens and dozens of units before you let go of your hard-earned money. Look at private party coaches and dealer lots, both. You'll find your RV and it'll be the right one for YOU. Good luck!

Mel & Kate
2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 QDP, "Joy", our Rainbow Rider
[IBe yourself. Everyone else is already taken.[/I]
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #26
My first and only MH to this point I bought new from a dealer. I had no idea that they have mileage on them already from being driven from the factory. It caught me off guard. Can't you buy direct from Fleetwood for instance, order it exactly how you want it and then fly to go pick it up and drive back yourself?

If you buy, order from a dealer can't you go and pick it up at the factory yourself?

I would rather put the miles on it rather than someone else. Maybe they are supposed to work out potential problems while driving it out to the dealer?

Does this make sense at all?

"on the road again...."

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2 MH from dealers, the third one we bought from a consignment sale. Take your time and check everything, read anything that came with the unit and ask about maintenance records if you don't see them. The key is to let them know you are looking but you will be through and if they don't like it, you will go elsewhere.
2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
We purchased through a dealer. Our relative newness to the RV game, the $$$ involved in the transaction and the relative "newness" of the coach all helped push us in that direction. We purchased thru Veurinks in Grand Rapids, MI - and have been happy with their service throughout the sales process. We purchased a used 2012 HR Endeavor that they had taken in on trade. Although like all used vehicles - it was sold "as is" - they addressed the handful of minor issues we identified as though it was a new vehicle.

They even introduced us to the previous owners - who happened to be overnighting at the dealership having something installed on their new coach at the same time we were there taking possession. We spent the night parked next to them on the dealer lot - and had ample opportunity to have the previous owner give us a few tips on the coach.

I only wish they were a little closer to us so that it would be easier to engage them when/if additional service is required.

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote