RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
IC2

Who has banged their head on their RVs slides or pin boxes

Every couple years I have an encounter. The first time was on the '06 5er without the current extended pinbox. That one cost me a trip to the local Emergency hospital to stop the leaky red stuff. Later ones, only knots on the noggin as a reminder - including the one on Tuesday.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
ONCE!

Learned my lesson!

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Every couple years I have an encounter. The first time was on the '06 5er without the current extended pinbox. That one cost me a trip to the local Emergency hospital to stop the leaky red stuff. Later ones, only knots on the noggin as a reminder - including the one on Tuesday.
I have hit my bald head many times on my pinbox or pin. Some of the cuts were pretty bad. I used to like the safety cable and the towing cord tucked neatly out of sight under the pinbox. The last year or so, I've left them dangling. It has worked well because I get that visual reminder. I also got some orange flagging tape and tied one end aft on the pinbox, and tied a magnet on the other end. When parked, I put the magnet on the pin, forming a 2' loop. Very noticeable.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
I have hit my bald head many times on my pinbox or pin. Some of the cuts were pretty bad. I used to like the safety cable and the towing cord tucked neatly out of sight under the pinbox. The last year or so, I've left them dangling. It has worked well because I get that visual reminder. I also got some orange flagging tape and tied one end aft on the pinbox, and tied a magnet on the other end. When parked, I put the magnet on the pin, forming a 2' loop. Very noticeable.
Good idea

What I will usually do is put a split 12" or so length of a bright orange pool noodle on the bed rro slide edge. I've been using a couple unsplit lengths on a piece of paracord on the pin box. Of course these were not in place any time I've whanged my head. I also use a couple more split pieces on the power cord too as I have been known to trip over it on one of 'those' days.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
At the last Baker to Vegas event I saw a 3-foot long "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" banner attached to a magnet and hanging from the pinbox. Turns out the owner was ex-NASA. Great minds think alike!

Look here: aeroconsystems dot com/cart/remove-before-flight/rbf1-remove-before-flight-nas1756
Old 10-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #6

I got something out of front compartment, backed up to close the door and then turned around and WHACK---right into the back edge of pin box.
KNOCKED me to the ground, tweet/tweet little birds--spots floating kind of Whack
Large goose egg on forehead and really ugly yellowish/greenish brusing

Less than a year later......
Was going from curbside to roadside and took shortcut under the overhang.
Knew the bedroom slide was out but no problem........until I stood up 1 second TOO SOON
WHACK! Tweet/tweet--spots but no goose egg. That is because lower edge of slidout opened my forehead/I leaked and required six stitches.
Face wounds REALLY Bleed....looked like a horror movie!

I'm the only one that has done it ---she learned by example and after TWO events I FINALLY learned.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I stood up to soon when getting something out of the bay and thought I had gouged my kidney out. Whoever thought to put razor blades on the slide corners needs to meet me behind the shop sometime.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
There are only 3 types of people:

1. Those who have

2. Those who have not, yet

3. Those who lie about it
Old 10-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #9
IC2

The joys of owning an RV and in particular, a 5th wheel.

I forgot to mention the under belly spare tire mount and the razor sharp corners that added one more scar to my head. At over 6'4" tall. I have a wealth of scar tissue there from many low 'things' so one more never matters much.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #10

I haven't hit my head, but I was under my slide fixing something. I don't even remember what it was anymore. When I was finished, I remembered I was under the slide so I crawled out to the edge before standing up. I should have crawled another two inches. I caught my back on the outside corner. Left a good bruise, but no blood loss.

My shin has hit hitches and trailer tongues more times than I can count. Those things hurt.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #11

Fifth wheel had a 6 ft slide.

I stood up after 6.5 feet under an 8 ft slide in the motor home.

20150225_213952-1.jpg
Attached Images

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #12

I have to bend/squat so much I hit my mirrors much more often... However that does NOT mean I have not hit my head on a slide!

Tom
Old 10-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #13

A shorter list would be for those who have NOT done these things. Don't bother asking how I know.

Tom
Old 10-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

When I built my parking pad I cleverly decided that the only part that actually has to be level is where the wheels sit. This leaves the rear end hanging out in the air, and the sharp, pointy corner of the bedroom slide is about 5' 8" off the ground. The top of my noggin is 5' 10" off the ground.

I have walked around the back of the coach looking down for ankle twisters and walked into that slide more times than I could say. We've taken to setting something like a trash can under it as a reminder.

Tags
rvs, slide