Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

Question Who Owns iRV2.com

Does this company own iRV2.com

About Us | Social Knowledge

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yep

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

does it matter? or should i be wearing my tin foil hat when i'm on this site too???
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
They own a lot of very popular forums. Seems to be a decent operation.

joe
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yea, it matters. Most internet forums were started by an enthusiast, and run by and for the enthusiast group the forum is "about"

The other admins / mods are also enthusiasts, "promoted" to this unpaid volunteer position due to their forum activity.

As these forums get more active, they get more complicated. Hackers, software "stuff", bandwidth, servers.... more complicated and more expensive.

At some point of "success" the original owner will sell the forum to an advertising company, who's one and only goal is operating for profit. They hav deep pockets, and professional programmers, and bandwidth out the yingyang.

And things are never the same. They frown on relationships, on politics, on anything controversial.

Note my remarks are my own, and refllect my experience at camaros.net, where I was a mod, before and shortly after they were bought out by autoforums.

The thing that really bugs me is, while it is the admins and mods who "make" the site, just by the strength of their personalities, these advertising companies still expect them to do all this on a volunteer basis, out of the goodness of there hearts.

I quit team camaro. I don't work for free.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #6

Jim i understand where you're coming from. I'm a mod over on one of the secondary Falcons message boards. NOT the main 'official' one. that one is, as you refer to, just a spot they want to draw a lot of hits so they can sell advertising too. the secondary board i frequent has no ads whatsoever.

i don't mind being a mod, was asked to by the man who actually created the site. nope it doesn't pay anything, i never expected it to, and as i spend a lot of time there, i certainly don't mind helping to keep threads on track and banning the spam bots. and we have a system there in place that makes a users first post only visible to the mods, who must approve it before it's seen. keeps the spam bots out.

my 'tin foil hat' comment, while made in jest, can actually apply to the fact that i totally disregard the ads along the top and the sides. so they pay for the site, all well and good to keep it free. if it wasn't, i'd go somewhere that was
Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just for the record, Andy not only owns Social Knowledge, he owns an Airstream.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Next time I'm around Dallas, I'll stop by McKinney and see if Andy R. really works or not.

By the way, anyone that registers a Domain name becomes public information. It is all out there and the information is not a secret. Now it could be that the information is "different" than what it should be, but it's out there.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The original owner of the forum is "Warpath" and owns RV Upgrades, a sponsor here. He is a RV enthusiast, but decided to iRV2 and pursue his main line businesses.

Andy is an RVer and his right-hand man is "Janet", also an Rver. He owns Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community which is dedicated to Airstream trailers.

Ken
Old 02-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
By the way, anyone that registers a Domain name becomes public information. It is all out there and the information is not a secret. Now it could be that the information is "different" than what it should be, but it's out there.
There are ways to hide the registration of a domain name. Domain registrars offer this service, and charge for it. Basically, the register it using a "shell" company that the registrar owns.

joe
Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Just for the record, Andy not only owns Social Knowledge, he owns an Airstream.
Well, he can't be all bad then!! My parents used to own an Excella 500 Airstream, their Wally Byam # was 8008.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Next time I'm around Dallas, I'll stop by McKinney and see if Andy R. really works or not.

Happy trails.
Can't you have a private and hidden domain ownership? Seems to me I've seen that when I've bought some of mine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Can't you have a private and hidden domain ownership? Seems to me I've seen that when I've bought some of mine.
That's up to your domain host. GoDaddy.com - as one of the worlds largest - certainly offers that service for a couple more bucks on top of the $10 or so annual domain registration/hosting fee they charge.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
There are ways to hide the registration of a domain name. Domain registrars offer this service, and charge for it. Basically, the register it using a "shell" company that the registrar owns.

joe
Yes, I know that, and that is why I stated that the information could be "different."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes you can.

Just like you can use a META Tag to ask the search engine robots to not index or follow the page. That doesn't mean that they will not index or follow, and hiding a domain registrant does not mean it will be totally invisible. And with any little tidbit of information, it could lead to more information. It depends on how much time and money one wants to spend to retrieve the information. Some one once said, "Once on the Interent, information stays on the Internet."

p.s., Social Knowledge owns about 165 Domains.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote