Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who Pays for these?

I have seen a bunch of TV ads showing people with snarky grins bragging on how they "settled" a tax debt of $10,000 for $74.95 or some such ridiculous numbers.

They never say they didn't owe that much, just that they "settled". My question is, who paid the difference?

We, the honest taxpayers, that's who.

I love it.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
My question is, who paid the difference?

We, the honest taxpayers, that's who.

I love it.
Just think how much you are "giving back!" We value that

Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

IRS love it or hate it

These threads kind of remind me of one time that I had an appointment to discuss tax records with the IRS; I went to the local office and took my place in line for my appointment, and when I got to the window, the lady behind the window looked up my file and told me I was "early" for my appointment and that I needed to get back in line. So, I did as requested, moving to the back of the line.

This time when, I reached the window, a new lady was there, and she told me I was "late" and because I had missed my appointment time...........they would have to reschedule it............and I did. We can not win, we are just tolerated because they need our money. scgator
Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually.. I know how the tax-attornies do it.. And here is how. In fact.. I've done it myself.

I got a notice from the city some years ago saying I owed a bunch in unpaid taxes.

I took the cancelled check photo-copy along with my return and W-2's to the tax office and we sat down and took a look.. They pulled a code number off the backside of the check and checked their records.. Turns out that not only did I not owe them.. They owed me.

You see, I'd paid the taxes, on time. They typed a Social Security number wrong.

Most of the cases you see there are like that.. The IRS has made a simple clerical mistake and as a result a tax return got mis-filed.. The IRS thus sent a NOTICE OF Apparent Liability to the tax payer for non-payment.. The Tax relief attornies check and find that the taxes were indeed paid and then the happy client stands in front of a camera and says "The IRS said I owed 10,000 but they settled for 750.00"

They could have settled themselves for nothing, had they chosen to do their own work.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #5

Most of these ads really cannot get you a settlement unless you are totally broke without ANY assets. The IRS has becomne very strict in what their requirements are to get a settlement. Just about all these these companies want to be paid up front then after some time tell you the IRS will not settle. The firm JK Harris is an example of one that the FTC has come down on for their advertising that everyone could get a tax settlement.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #6

I was a long time employee of the IRS (17 1/2 Yrs) The last 7 I worked with taxpayers in the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). I dislike those ads I see on TV about settiling your tax debt. For the most part they due the same or less than I did. Only they charge a whole lot of $$$ to do it. The Offer in Compromise (OIC) is free if you go through TAS. Yes, the employees are IRS employees, but this bunch has a great desire and training to help individual taxpayers. In 7 yrs, I can't tell you how many thousands of dollars I've saved people. Not only through the OIC program, but with other tax issues and a few mistakes from the IRS. True, not everyone will qualify for an OIC, and not everyone will get what they want. If you owe the tax, you need to pay it. If you have a tax problem, check with TAS first to see if you can be helped. They're in your local blue pages and the service is free.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #7

My favorite ad is the one where they ask "have you or a loved one suffered injury or death from the following (fill in the blank) drug" . We can get you money. If you look at the small print of the ad, it states the claimant is responsible for all court & lawyer fees. My guess is they file a frivolous claim. If they get lucky and win, they get a third or more, if they lose, you pay for all their time and expenses. At least that is the way I see it. Anyone here have anything to add??
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StStg1 View Post
I was a long time employee of the IRS (17 1/2 Yrs) The last 7 I worked with taxpayers in the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). I dislike those ads I see on TV about settiling your tax debt. For the most part they due the same or less than I did. Only they charge a whole lot of $$$ to do it. .
Like I said. it is nothing you can not do for yourself...

I have had a few calls by the city

Once they mis-typed wife's SSN so they credited the payment wrong
I owed nothing
The very nice .. What would you call him, Agent? That I dealt with said "You know.. I'll bet they did it the next year too" and checked.. Sure enough. He fixed that one on the spot.

Another time they lost a W-2.. I faxed them a copy of my copy and .. Thank you. Here is your refund.

I recall a comic strip... The character is all sweaty and nervous because he got called in for an audit.

"Well, Mr. Cartoon Character.. It seems you made an error on your return.. YOU OVERPAID by Three Dollars and 98 cents.. Here is your refund, Have a nice day"
Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #9

We got a letter that said we owed the IRS like 8 grand. I was freaking because we always paid our taxes. Turns out they made a mistake. After a tax book bought at amazon used for that tax year and going over all the records, I got it down to 700 bucks. Legally. If you spend some time really researching what they are griping about, chances are you can decrease what they think you owe them. And they are really good about accepting payment plans. I always heard that the worst I could do is ignore their letters. By answering them right away and asking for clarification, they are pretty good about explaining everything. And being polite always helps, as they are much more polite than they used to be.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #10

My experiences with the IRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYfulltimers View Post
We got a letter that said we owed the IRS like 8 grand. I was freaking because we always paid our taxes. Turns out they made a mistake. After a tax book bought at amazon used for that tax year and going over all the records, I got it down to 700 bucks. Legally. If you spend some time really researching what they are griping about, chances are you can decrease what they think you owe them. And they are really good about accepting payment plans. I always heard that the worst I could do is ignore their letters. By answering them right away and asking for clarification, they are pretty good about explaining everything. And being polite always helps, as they are much more polite than they used to be.
I had a similar experience several years ago, that was initiated when all of my tools were stolen. I had my tax man do a write off for that year (I had a complete inventory record); and about four years later, I get this letter from IRS telling me that they adjusted my returns, because I had written off too much in one calendar year. They then proclaimed that I owed almost $12K in taxes, penalties, and interest. I explained that the "loss" came in one year and I should be able to claim that.

Here's my advice (and I am not a lawyer); first if you KNOW you are in the "right", never agree to any kind of payment plan; as they take this as you are agreeing with them and it becomes a valid debt. I agreed with them that possibly I could owe more in taxes, but it could not be anywhere near the amount claimed.
We went through a couple of years of talking back and forth; this is VERY IMPORTANT on your part as it keeps them in your loop and shows that you are proactive in getting things resolved.
When the "smoke cleared", they owed me $3207.00; the downside of this, is that in the process of bringing this amount down, they filed a tax lean on me at the courthouse.....AND EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A CONFIRMATION OF RELEASE from them, it will stay on my credit record for 2 more years, for a total of 10 years. My problem now, is that they will not see any urgency in removing this from my credit record even though it was their mistake.
The way I circumvented this negative status, was to leave my normal bank and joined a credit union; the small bank "relationship" is far under rated. I started out borrowing small amounts on 90 and 180 day loans....and gradually over the years established a solid business relationship. As a result, when I bought my new truck, I simply called and told them what I wanted, and was told go get it and come by here to pick up a check. NO MONEY OUT OF POCKET.
Sure these kinds of things seem unjust or just plain junk; but turn them around and make them work for you.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #11

We agreed to a payment plan so that they wouldn't file a lien on us and because we agreed we owed them that much for profits on long term capital gains. Everything worked out well, as long as we kept paying them even a small amount each month. If you keep writing but you never pay them they will get you.
We ended up with no bad credit or anything, and if you overpay then they will give you the money back. It is better for them to owe you as long as you keep writing and working with them.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Back in I think 2004, I over paid my Quarterlys and got an extension and the IRS paid me 8% interest on what they owed me from April 15th to Nov when they paid me.
Can't beat that.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
I had a similar experience several years ago, that was initiated when all of my tools were stolen. I had my tax man do a write off for that year (I had a complete inventory record); and about four years later, I get this letter from IRS telling me that they adjusted my returns, because I had written off too much in one calendar year. They then proclaimed that I owed almost $12K in taxes, penalties, and interest. I explained that the "loss" came in one year and I should be able to claim that.

Here's my advice (and I am not a lawyer); first if you KNOW you are in the "right", never agree to any kind of payment plan; as they take this as you are agreeing with them and it becomes a valid debt. I agreed with them that possibly I could owe more in taxes, but it could not be anywhere near the amount claimed.
We went through a couple of years of talking back and forth; this is VERY IMPORTANT on your part as it keeps them in your loop and shows that you are proactive in getting things resolved.
When the "smoke cleared", they owed me $3207.00; the downside of this, is that in the process of bringing this amount down, they filed a tax lean on me at the courthouse.....AND EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A CONFIRMATION OF RELEASE from them, it will stay on my credit record for 2 more years, for a total of 10 years. My problem now, is that they will not see any urgency in removing this from my credit record even though it was their mistake.
The way I circumvented this negative status, was to leave my normal bank and joined a credit union; the small bank "relationship" is far under rated. I started out borrowing small amounts on 90 and 180 day loans....and gradually over the years established a solid business relationship. As a result, when I bought my new truck, I simply called and told them what I wanted, and was told go get it and come by here to pick up a check. NO MONEY OUT OF POCKET.
Sure these kinds of things seem unjust or just plain junk; but turn them around and make them work for you.
First of all, The IRS has nothing to do with reporting the lien to the credit reporting agencies. If you have a beef with tem , you need to contact them. The only thing IRS does is file the Lien with the County Clerk. When paid, the IRS files the Release of Lien with the County Clerk. The Credit reporting agencies check the county records on a daily basis, but seldom check the lien releases. You have to fight with them to get the credit report changed.

This is just part of my long time experiencsw as an employee
Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #14

I think those things are all a scam in one way or either make you claim bankruptcy.