Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #29

We prefer pull thrus for overnight but just look for a great site, pull thru or back in if staying longer. We are in the minority though. We do not mind trees in the vicinity but we prefer wide open sites with no trees hanging over our RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #30
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
If its a one night stand, I prefer drive thru. Other than that, I shoot for privacy and maybe a view, doesn't make any difference if I need to back in or not.
What he said.

We much prefer state and national parks or national forests campgrounds over private RV parks (except maybe for an occasional overnight on the way to somewhere).

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
The only one I need to impress with my driving skills is my insurance company I choose a site for the location. One night stand pull thru, long term, best location. Yes, I do pay premium for over size sites. We are currently on a private pull in site that requires backing out onto a curve tomorrow......doesn't bother me a bit. Tomorrow is a pull in ocean view site that will also require backing out.

I also disconnected my backup horn so I am not drawing a crowd of looky lou's too.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I just want the best site I can have, with a strong preference to be able to use my satellite, but for an over nighter a pull though that I don't have to detach the toad is preferable.

Being new to RVing, one of the things that seems to be a big deal is backing up a MH. That video Lazy Days has makes it sound like some huge ordeal, putting little marks on the side
of your rig, your co pilot standing exactly at some spot on the site, etc. You would think its like docking an aircraft carrier, but it's really no big deal backing up as long as you have a co pilot with a Walkie talkie keeping you from doing something stupid, but it is really no different maneuvering in any other tight space. It does amaze me how many times I see someone pulling into their space in any type of RV and their co pilot never gets out to help.......
People use "spotters" and radios to back in? I don't and never have needed them. Learned to use my cameras and mirrors many years ago. The DW never even gets out to go look at a site.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
People use "spotters" and radios to back in? I don't and never have needed them. Learned to use my cameras and mirrors many years ago. The DW never even gets out to go look at a site.
Same here. The rear view camera is a Godsend!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've already seen he carnage, and watched in a amazement those that try to get in (and even out) out of thier sites (including pull throughs) with no help.

Someone has knocked all the crooked pedestals out of whack, I watched a guy back up and scrape the side of his MH with a street sign that hung over the road, have had the water shut off in the campground while they repaired the water hook up a guy backed over, and my favorite, was a guy that got got his tag stuck in the sand up to his axles pulling OUT of a tight pull through they had to get a truck to pull him out after him trying all sorts of stupid and dangerous things to get it out himself. Not to mention all the rigs at our dealer getting body work done that have obviously backed over something or scraped thier bay doors against something they did not see from the driver's seat.

Sorry, I can think of no good reason not to have someone help guide you no matter how long you've been RVing
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having no back window on our DP, I prefer to orient my large front window to whatever views there are. I'm not intimidated whatsoever from backing in.

I will say that if I'm towing my Jeep (almost always) and just looking for a good night's sleep on the way to another spot, I'll go a bit out of my way to find a pull through to avoid unhooking and re-connecting the next morning.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #36

We just camped for 10 days locally and had a pull through waterfront spot. It even came with a rainbow. I didn't lose any sleep thinking, " I wonder if people think I parked here because I can't back up my RV. " Just sayin'.....

Who cares what people think about my RV driving skills?

This is funny though. I did use the RV for the first time to recovery my boat and I'm not very good at it yet. Didn't care. I'll get better with time and no one had to wait on me. I'm sure if they did it wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

So a couple of strangers are thinking, " That guy is not very good using that RV to back down the ramp and get his boat. " lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rainbow.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	106470  
Old 09-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry, I can think of no good reason not to have someone help guide you no matter how long you've been RVing
I'll have to disagree on this point. I've had too many experiences where the camp host or hostess trying to help me get into a sight simply wasn't qualified to do so. Most of them do not know where to locate themselves relative to my mirrors so that I can see them, don't look UP at tree branches and other off-the-ground obstacles when directing you, have no idea what my skill level is/not and what my turning radius is, don't know where my hoses exit the RV and thus how I like to position myself relative to campground supply, and are generally in a hurry to get me parked so they can move on to the next camper. I don't expect them to know this stuff, and thankfully, most are fine with me going it alone, since I'm always thankful for their kind offers when I politely decline the assistance. I prefer to walk around my site first anyway and have found a batch of 2" screws on my pad one time in doing so, along with other hazards.

I do greatly appreciate when they lead me to my site with their golf cart. Sometimes they are in too big of a hurry (when busy, like this past Labor Day weekend) and they have to wait for me to catch up going around tight corners, but I still appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I pick a site for privacy. It can be either. If it is big and has a good view, and privacy. I will take a back in every time over a pull through with side by side spaces.
well said. I can back anything anywhere have nothing to prove just spending the night why un hook the toad.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our first camper in 1968. My wife guided me in and has done so ever since. We have had only one instance in all that time. She chose a site too small for a 35 foot motorhome. She had her heart set on that site and I should have followed my head and not my heart. A tree jumped out (my story and I am sticking to it.) and got my right rear view mirror. Most of my customers (who did not use a helper) had limb damage from limbs that did not show up in the rear view camera.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Back in is my choice. Shady, good sized, level site. Water or river front a added plus. I come to see many pull-thru sites are very narrow.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
.....Sorry, I can think of no good reason not to have someone help guide you no matter how long you've been RVing

How about my wife is confined to a wheel chair outside the MH.

We owned a bus company for 25 yrs and with two mirrors I have no trouble backing up - even going around a corner. When we bought the MH and it had a back-up camera, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.

When we would hire a new driver we would take him/her down to a shopping center and teach them how to back up, usually it was a two day training.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
How about my wife is confined to a wheel chair outside the MH.

We owned a bus company for 25 yrs and with two mirrors I have no trouble backing up - even going around a corner. When we bought the MH and it had a back-up camera, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.

When we would hire a new driver we would take him/her down to a shopping center and teach them how to back up, usually it was a two day training.
Hi Bob! Hope all is well with you and Stephanie.

I'm with you on the back up camera - but the electric mirrors are my best friend. Point em in and down and put it in reverse. Although Annie thought I was going to back into the fence with the tow bar today. Didn't happen!

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote