Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #43

I park for the view,back in ,front in, pull through, what ever gives me the best view. I love this hobby for the ever changing views.
I took a military drivers test about 47 yrs. ago. The sarge had me drive a duece & 1/2 around the block in reverse & back up to the loading dock. He said if you can do that, you can drive the truck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #44
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the situation - if an overnight stop and I'm towing, I'd go with the pull thru so I don't have to unhook. But long term and I'm not towing, whatever is available that has the best view, privacy and all those things that make your stay more enjoyable.

Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #45

One Nighters are going to be at a Cracker barrel and most of them are pull thrus. Anything longer than a two night stay, we will take whatever is cheap and has Good WiFi. Not too picky as to anything else. We do our best to avoid anything close to the bath house and or a play ground. Todays rug-rats just have no respect for others and/or sites. Happy Travels y'all.............
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #46

Like many others, I prefer a pull through for a one night stop, although we have a favorite campground that we spend some time in and always get a pull through because of the location.

If we're staying a few days or longer, I'll take a back in if it saves a few bucks a day, has a little more shade, and is located near the campground facilities and activities we want to become involved in.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would like to thank all of you that back in when given the option! This frees up more pull thru sites for those like me! Yep, I'll take a pull thru anytime. Oh I can back up, not a problem, but I have this condition that makes the pull thru sites more favorable. You see folks, I'm lazy. Yep that right, I'll take the easy way out every time! Some of you may have parked next to me before. I'm the guy that may or maynot be straight in the site! Have nothing siting out except maybe a door mat and can be gone In minutes if the law his headed my way. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #48
doc

Appalachian Campers
I cannot believe the OP asked this as a legitimate question as much as he was wanting to let everyone know how 'great' he is in backing. Such a great and difficult skill to be so proficient at.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At Disney's Fort Wilderness RV Resort, you have no choice; they are all back-ins, some much easier to navigate than others.

Bronk
Old 09-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
I would like to thank all of you that back in when given the option! This frees up more pull thru sites for those like me! Yep, I'll take a pull thru anytime. Oh I can back up, not a problem, but I have this condition that makes the pull thru sites more favorable. You see folks, I'm lazy. Yep that right, I'll take the easy way out every time! Some of you may have parked next to me before. I'm the guy that may or maynot be straight in the site! Have nothing siting out except maybe a door mat and can be gone In minutes if the law his headed my way. Thanks again!

I'm with you all the way. But you practice pretty well with that famous tree of yours.
Aren't you glad we aren't professionals like others here?
I would never want to know everything about backing in and such. My head would swell, pull my skin tight, and then I couldn't even blink!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #51

This is slightly off-topic; on a recent trip to a VA state park I was breaking camp to head home. I heard a loud pop - that nasty hollow thumping sound aluminum makes. The family across me had hit a tree as they were leaving. It was a huge pull-through site with as very easy exit. It was a very new TT pulled by a F250. Pulling out, for some reason, the driver went way over to the right and wiped many feet of the camper against a tree and also ripped off the front awning support as well as the awning itself. Several thousand $$ in damages. Stuff happens, but there was no reason for this to happen. I did notice that there was a lot of activity and lots of people on that site.

When backing in my 5th wheel, we use cheap walkie-talkies (FRS) and my wife watches for stuff I can't see. I don't need help backing in and I really don't think someone else can offer directions. But there are low limbs, unpredictable kids, etc. I have learned to focus completely on entering and exiting a campground, tuning out distractions.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 AM   #52

I do pull throughs for overnights if available. If we are staying 2 nights or more I go for the view.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
After 25 yrs owning a bus company my policy was - if you can't back it up, you are not qualified to drive it forward.
When I was in a CDL drivers course. My instructor made us back up through a slalom course with a 48 Ft trailer attached. We were also required to parallel park on the blind side with the same trailer & all axles had to be within 18 inches of the curb. Yikes! But I tell you what. We sure learned how to back up a big rig.
And it paid off. I ended up contracting to FedEx ground driving a set of doubles. I quickly learned to back up my first trailer with the converter dolly attached so I didn't have to get out in the cold snowy SD/WY winter to push a 3,800 Lb dolly around. (which is is tough to do in the snow)
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 AM   #54

I just pick the best site, back in or pull through, it doesn't matter...
Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'm with you all the way. But you practice pretty well with that famous tree of yours.
Aren't you glad we aren't professionals like others here?
I would never want to know everything about backing in and such. My head would swell, pull my skin tight, and then I couldn't even blink!
I've know people that knew so much that the head swelling was so bad their forehead was pulled plum over the top of their head!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #56

For a one night stay I prefer a pull through. For longer stays it makes no difference. When I get back from a trip I have not choice, it is a back-in. I'm getting better at baking in my driveway after every trip I make. My drive has a bend in it and I have to back up 100' to where I park. The last time I did it in one try, a whole lot better than the first time. Plus I park between shrubbery with less than 1 foot of clearance on either side. A lot more challenging than any campsite.