Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Who Said ??

Who said the economy sucks ?
I just got back from my morning walk.
This is Thursday and I have seen some of the most high dollar units pull in, being during the week I can only assume these folks are full or semi-full timers, I counted 9 different states.
I can't even start to estimate the millions of dollars spent.
I never paid attention to the parade of RVs before, even tho I did admire each and every one, and marveled at some of the people that piled out of them, but thats another story.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It amazes me too at times to see the high dollar parade.

My guess is that many of these folks made hay while the sun was shinning before the economy crashed but it sure is tough to watch our kids trying to make it. Seems like they can do "all the right things" these days and it's still an uphill battle for them.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

From my perspective what you are seeing with high end rigs in campgrounds is part of the great divide in income and assets. That is not a political statement but a fact that I have seen growing for the last 20 years plus. I've seen my clients who make $50,000 or less going backwards while those in the middle, from $50,000 to $125,000 are basically staying even, and those on the upper end have been steadily going up.

Also to consider is the Baby Boomers who are now retiring and moving into their hobbies which many would consider RVing to be. Many have made good incomes for most of their lives, have invested well or at least adequately, and perhaps made more than a few $$$$ on their last home sale. There are a lot of different dynamics that are causing the trends.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Likely those folks are now reaping the rewards from lives of hard work and saving. I hear my fellow old timers saying they are spending it now before the government gets it. We are "stimulating" the economy! <lol>. Is there a merit badge for that?
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The higher they cost Brand New, the faster they depreciate once they are parading around the country.

Mine has depreciated somewhat since purchasing it from the original owner back in 2003, but I still have a lot of valve and many more miles left in it before it will ever see the junk yard.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #6

I regret that I may have offended some with my prior post. I was a direct reflection of many of my friend's and acquaintance's actual situation.

I don't agree.
But, I live in Michigan.

I think what you are seeing is an aberration of caused by a number of explainable situations. Many of these will be damaging in the long run.

Sorry, that is how it is.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #7

We are "bingoing" our bucket list while we are still healthy enough to enjoy it and can remember why we wanted to.... and, yes, trying to enjoy whatever we've managed to scrimp and save up before the government grabs it.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Im from Michigan as well, but not for much longer, I will be transferring my residency to SD. But for my DW and I it came down to a wish to fulfill dreams and see the country in which we live, and we simply couldnt achieve it in a 2200 sqft home on 7 acres. So we decided that to do it we needed to get rid of one so we could do it with the other, and buying a used coach seemed to be the smartest way to do it and so it begins. I have loved this state for as long as I've been here but now its time to move on before I cant move at all. Life is waiting to see whats over the next hill and around the next curve, we hope to see you there.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

The less you have the less you have to loose! bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless
The less you have the less you have to loose! bygeorge
And the more you'll miss it when it's gone... Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys most everything else. As soon as happiness is bottled money will buy it too. I've never had much, always had enough and have been happy with that.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #11

All of you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. We have brought nothing into this world and we can take nothing out. We will leave some for the next generation but as for me , little was left to inherit so most was from our sacrifice in those years of doing for others. Enjoying some of it should be OK.
siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #12

i am very sure if you walked up to most of them and ask

you would find they sold the house
or its all on credit
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
i am very sure if you walked up to most of them and ask

you would find they sold the house
or its all on credit
Terry, I think you might be very surprised by how few of those big coaches are full timers or how few of them have big loans on them. Clients of mine that have coaches that are 40' and more generally have more than 50% equity and not one of them is a full timer. I find that most of my clients who have big loans on their RV's are those with travel trailers and even pop ups.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I like to think it's from hard work too !

I told the kids the same thing my Dad told me a very long time ago----
I'll help when you need it, and he never had to

One thing I learned on my own,
Never be satiated (satisfied to the point of boredom and not trying further)
but always be satisfied (with what you have)... big difference !