Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Who travels together?

Just out of curiosity, how many folks travel together with another rig? Or say when you are headed south for the winter, hook up with another couple you know and head to your destination together?

We are not FT yet, but a guy I work with, he and his wife winter in TX and take their MH's and meet up with another couple along the way.

I guess if we went the same place for the winters every year this might be fun but we are thinking of hitting different places every winter to see more of the country and meet other folks.

Fuel stops we will visit with other RV'ers. Always fun to chat. And were Dog lovers so that is a good way to start conversations.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

We travel with another couple and their two attack Chihuahuas.

We are 64 feet 11 inches long with our 20 foot garage in tow. They have one of those Canadian class B's.

When we call to confirm or find a spot for both of us, the request for 65 foot pull thru and an 18-foot possibly alongside always gets a laugh.

As soon as whoever is listening stops laughing, the Chiuhuahuas start growling.

M&M

Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are not full timers, but occasionally we meet up with my sister and brother-in-law. They live in south GA and we are in TX. Sometimes it's fun to travel with others, and sometimes it's more fun just us.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

We will, on occasion, travel together with another couple. We both pull trailers with pickups. We generally agree that we'll set the cruse control of our pickups on 65 mph. However, I find that when I'm following the other rig that most of the time I'll have to maintain somewhere between 70 to 73 or 74 mph just to keep up with him. Does any one else find that you have to travel at a higher than agreed speed to keep up with another rig? What is your opinion on this?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

We were thinking the same thing, but finding another couple to RV with has never worked out for us. Like mentioned, we also chat with fellow RVers at rest stops but their planned routes are not the same as ours. One time a fellow wanted to follow us through El Paso because he and his wife had heard so many stories about difficult lane changes and heavy traffic. We used the CB to communicate, and I think that was the only time we've used it for much more than a quick listen when there is a traffic tie up.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo55 View Post
We will, on occasion, travel together with another couple. We both pull trailers with pickups. We generally agree that we'll set the cruse control of our pickups on 65 mph. However, I find that when I'm following the other rig that most of the time I'll have to maintain somewhere between 70 to 73 or 74 mph just to keep up with him. Does any one else find that you have to travel at a higher than agreed speed to keep up with another rig? What is your opinion on this?
I would drive at the speed I feel appropriate and tell "Speedy" I'll meet him at the next stop.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many folks travel together with another rig? Or say when you are headed south for the winter, hook up with another couple you know and head to your destination together?
Not us. We have no one left here, not family or friends, and no acquaintances that RV or camp. It's only us now. My last real true friend died last month. She and her husband camped until their health became too bad - about 10 years ago. No relatives live near us and none in the state are interested in camping or RVing. I haven't met anyone on any of these RV forums from middle TN. We're considering moving but have no idea where to go.........
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He who travels alone travels fastest.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Jimbo55,

With my job when we use multiple rigs OTR, we put the slowest guy in lead position and if we have any newer drivers we sandwich them in-between the lead and the guy bringing up the rear.
Of course we also have radio communication so that helps.

My friend Dave, who he and his wife winter in TX, told me the couple they meet up with from IA, they met years ago at a truck stop. They were visiting and told them they were headed south. The other couple asked them where they were going and Dave told them undecided, no set destination, the other couple invited them to go where they were headed in TX. The rest was history and they have been meeting up and traveling together ever since.
We have not begun our FT or wintering travels yet, but these kind of stories from other friends of ours tell us the RV community is a great bunch of folks!

Happy 4th everyone!!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
He who travels alone travels fastest.
AND/OR at whatever pace they are conformable with.

We have traveled with other rigs but coordinating fuel stops, rest stops, food stops and overnight stops gets real old real quick!
Everyone has their own traveling habits/routines.
When one travels with another rig many compromises must be made.....
It seems that someone is always stressed or unhappy.
Mel
'96 Safari