Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Who's on SS and Medicare
Yes I am 77 77.78%
No I'm not 22 22.22%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
If the funds for SSI are in a 'lock box' (as opposed to completely spent), why would they be affected by this whole posturing thing?
Congress has completely spent all the monies in SS and nothing is left but I.O.U's The cookie jar is empty....

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #30

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Medicare is still at 65 entry level and for many of us, that was the determining factor not SS.
I realize this is not intended to be a scientific poll but when people assume their own criteria, that alone skews the results because the assumed criteria can vary from person to person and is not visible in the results.

As I said already, 65 is the normal age for Medicare but there are exceptions.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #31

[QUOTE=Lindsay Richards;904908]Current plans call for raising the retirement age to 67 for people under 55. Nobody is talking about cutting benefits for current users except for the talking heads on TV trying to stir stuff up.[/QUOTE
This is correct...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Very simple"
Don't like a thread? Don't open it, couldn't be simpler.
I am with you 100%. If you don't want to join in, just ignore it. It seems like some people just want something to bitch about.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalD View Post
What is the purpose of this poll? Seems to me it is confidential information and this is an OPEN forum for all to see.
A safe assumption would be that MOST people on this forum are seniors and therefore on SS and Medicare, no poll should be needed.
Just my two cents.
As with all assumptions . . . . .

Most of the people I know that own/use RVs are under retirement age. Vehicles range from Truck Campers to C, and A. No trailers as we all tow Jeeps.

I just turned 57, I retired just before I turned 52, if SSI/Medicare is there I'll take it if not .......

As for anonymity anyone with enough skills could probably trace me based on my username and location, If I was worried I'd simply not post in a thread like this or choose a different username.

It's nice to have a forum "just conversations" for topics like this.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #34
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Anybody who is relying on SS for retirement is fooling themselves. It was not intended to be the sole means of providing for retirement, although many think that is the case.
Yup, have investments and a company retirement fund to fill in for retirement along with SS.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Don't assume anything. I've been SS disability since I was 61, Medicare at 62. Raising the age to 67 will only work with people with non physical jobs. I worked in construction since I was 17. Most of my friends would not be able to work until 67 their bodies are worn out. Bad knees, shoulders, backs, the list could go on to every joint in the body. I'm on disability due to health reasons but my body is also worn out. I think if they raise the age to 67 there will be more folks on disability just because they're worn out and used up. JMO
Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #36

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Don't assume anything. I've been SS disability since I was 61, Medicare at 62. Raising the age to 67 will only work with people with non physical jobs. I worked in construction since I was 17. Most of my friends would not be able to work until 67 their bodies are worn out. Bad knees, shoulders, backs, the list could go on to every joint in the body. I'm on disability due to health reasons but my body is also worn out. I think if they raise the age to 67 there will be more folks on disability just because they're worn out and used up. JMO
I didn't have to go on disability but one reason I retired for keeps at 60 was because I had worn out the old carcass working physically intensive jobs (mostly warehousing). Despite my physical problems, I still managed to work circles around the youngsters on my last job.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I didn't have to go on disability but one reason I retired for keeps at 60 was because I had worn out the old carcass working physically intensive jobs (mostly warehousing). Despite my physical problems, I still managed to work circles around the youngsters on my last job.
The way us old fogies out work the youngsters is that with age we learn to do more with less effort (brains)
Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #38

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
The way us old fogies out work the youngsters is that with age we learn to do more with less effort (brains)
There's that but in in this case it's because I worked whereas the youngsters goofed off.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see Why some have To take Offence; If you paid in. You deserve to receive Benafitts; I really don't care who I tell. Big Brother allready knows; And we really don't have to answer in some snotty way. Please Respect fellow posters;;; Remember respect is one of the few things that don't cost anything Yet it must be earned;; Life is good ; keep a positive outlook;;
Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #40

When I signed up for SS, Medicare premium was $45/ month, Now its $140.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
When I signed up for SS, Medicare premium was $45/ month, Now its $140.
I think you should check your annual statement. I pay $96.40 per month. My wife passed away in February 2011 and Medicare paid for 2 knee replacements, 3 back surgeries, Mitral and Tricuspid valve repairs and 2 bypass operation. Those items are the big cost items. I have two full pages of listings that show all the medical procedures she had done in the 59 years of marriage. Total cost without Medicare approximately $450,000 after lowering cost by Medicare bills were under $200,000 and the cost to me before Tricare for Life around $30,000 and after Tricare for Life $0.
The biggest value of Medicare is cutting the Hospital and Doctors fees before any payment has been made. Secondly a Hospital bill of $1068.00 for my share of authorized costs can be absorbed by most people. The additional costs of therapy afterwards sometimes overwhelms some families. Paying 20 per cent can run into high bills. Supplements to Medicare run a lot more than the $96.40 that is taken out of the SS check each month. I retired the second time in 1987 and was not eligible for Medicare for another 8 years so, I had to rely on my company's medical program which I have stopped because of the increase in costs (Free to $108.00 per month) and the starting of Tricare for Life.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I am surprised that so many people are really uptight about the poll. It is not anything to get serious about, it it?
I thought that RV'ers were more laid back.
If someone doesn't want to vote, fine. But, why be so concerned if other folks want to participate.