Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
When we used to live on the Oregon coast we used to have a pet name for those people "Beach People". Never seen so much trash just piled around. I am sure depending on where you are there are the same type of people.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
Buy a Farm and do it your way, why worry about others. (Progressive Liberal?)

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
A friend and I have driven from AZ through UT to get to southwest WY several times and I was amazed by the large number of old farm buildings just setting there falling apart. I'm guessing the owners do not realize how valuable old lumber like that is, they do realize it and are sitting on it to let the value grow, or they are saving it for emergency firewood.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Midnite-CTD View Post
My grandfather (and I suspect a lot of the original farm owners) was of a generation that 'recycled' whatever they could to keep from having to spend money they didn't have to. Very little was thrown away in favor of something new like we do today. If he had two of the same tractor and one died, it became a donor to keep the other running that much longer. If his neighbors had one, they could get parts from him too, and him from them in return.
^ This. The farm on my mother's side has been in the family since 1849, back in the day when it was being farmed by my grandfolks NOTHING was thrown away. If something broke grandpa just walked out to the pile and found something that would fix it, if he didn't have it a neighbor did in his pile. Worked both ways, neighbors would come poke through his stuff for something to fix their tractors etc. It was just the way things were done.

Gotta admit I'm the same way, I have a lot of stuff tucked away, if I need to fab' up something for one of the Jeeps I just walk out to the scrap steel pile and get to welding. I know darn good and well if I toss/sell/give something away I'll need it 6 months or a year from now and it will cost me way more than I got for it if I sold it.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Empowerment Metaphor #0034: Possessions That Weigh Us Down - YouTube

I do not know who the author of the following piece is, but it is sage advice..Seems that this is part of what "Full-Timing" in an RV is about...

10 Unexpected Costs of Owning Things | AlmostFearless.com

I am sitting on my couch in the middle of my dining room writing this, nursing a very sore body. This weekend we gave away and sold everything we own. Our king sized bed, 30 boxes of books, the guitar I meant to learn how to play but never did, even our Panini grill and espresso machine (and so much more). I thought it would be hard to lose the things my husband and I collected in the past eight years, but you know what? It was actually very freeing. The act of physically moving these things out onto the sidewalk, setting prices and then watching as strangers walked away with even the most personal of our possessions, was a strange kind of relief. Even as I reflect back now on what I might miss, I’ve come to realize just what I’ve gained by letting go. Here are 10 Unexpected Costs of Owning Things:

1. The things you own have a cost of ownership. Even if you don’t use it, you’re paying for it. Over the years we’ve lived in bigger and bigger places. When we first met, I was renting a single room in a house. Everything I owned fit in the 15X20 space. Our first apartment was 2 bedrooms and 700 sq feet. When a few years we graduated to a 1300 sq ft house with 3 bedrooms. Soon it was the 2000 sq ft home that we had to buy more furniture to fill up. It seems insane now, to pay for larger and larger living spaces just to store our stuff- but that’s what we did. Over the years, we could have saved thousands on housing and utilities, just by downsizing our lives.

2. You are carrying around the emotional weight of the things you don’t use. I always wanted to play the guitar. Six years ago, my husband bought me one for my birthday. I learned “Leaving on a Jet Plane” and “Eight Days a Week”, got some blisters and promptly gave up. But the guitar stayed with us, and periodically I would feel bad about not playing. Now my guitar has found a home with a drummer who had been looking for a cheap ax for months. And now I can finally admit it: I am not interested in learning the guitar; I don’t want to spend my time focusing on that particular skill. It’s ok; there are lots of other things I am interested in. And now I can just let that aspiration go.

3. You don’t learn your lessons on overspending, because you never face reality. You stuff the pair of shoes you never wore into a closet somewhere and forget about it. While I was pulling storage containers out, I was amazed at how many things I owned but hadn’t used. I think I had 4 different unopened blushes (makeup). I kept putting them away under the bathroom sink and forgetting about it. But I wasn’t learning my lesson. I wasn’t connecting the fact that I bought something I didn’t need, so I wasn’t getting the message to change my habits.

4. You let yourself buy status symbols—whether an exhaustive book collection, to show off how smart you are, or artwork from around the world to prove you have traveled, you let yourself belief these tangible proofs are more important than the fact that you have read a lot or you have traveled a lot. This will shift your priorities slightly, as the acquisition of these items becomes a priority in itself. What if you didn’t outwardly give the world clues about who you are?

5. You use objects as comfort. I admit it, I’m a secret nester. I like building a cozy home, and filling it with things that make me feel happy. It’s interesting though, because even though we’ve had a guest bedroom for the last 3 years, we rarely have guests overnight. I think it just makes me feel good to have it, to walk past that room and smile at the coordinated duvet and pillow shams. But the truth is, you don’t need those things to be happy. It’s a wicked habit, and I can’t help but think I’ve been influenced by a lifetime of Pottery Barn magazines.

6. You are weighed down. If you can’t carry it, you can’t travel with it. The whole point of selling this stuff is so we can move abroad and travel as we please. As we were buying it though, we weren’t thinking, “Lets buy this, so we can be even more chained to our possessions. Maybe we should get two, that way we can be landlocked even if one breaks!”

7. The more stuff you have the more blind you become to it. There were so many books, DVDs drawers full of stuff that I hadn’t remembered seeing for years. And yet there they were, in plain sight for years, just obscured by the details of so many other things. We didn’t appreciate what we had, because there was just too much of it!

8. If you are overspending, you will never see that money again. When you sell off your stuff, expect the going rate to be 25% or less of what you spent for it. We have spent thousands over the years and the whole lot when for a couple hundred bucks. Ouch.

9. Each object has a path before you bought it. We don’t often think about where things come from, but everything that you buy has been manufactured somewhere. When you think about the never used guitar that was made in China, by someone making pennies a day, shipped overseas, using lots of gasoline, driven across the country to a store near you, just so it could sit in your closet. At some point it must occur to us that we’re not just wasting our money, but the planet’s resources as well.

10. You like the idea of owning something more than the reality. For years I held onto all my books, because I really liked owning them. But two things happened this weekend. First, I realized I hadn’t opened many of them after the first time I read them. Second, I was passing on my favorite books to other people, who were excited to read them. Instead of keeping a great book for my collection, I will now always pass it on.

What are you some ways the things you own, own you?
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club

At our place most of the "old rusty equipment sitting around" is still in use...as a matter of fact, some of it's even for sale!
Wanna buy a '40's Farmall "A"? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02568.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	13476

................................................. She runs like a top!

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Fran, are you sure thats a 40s model, looks kinda new to me.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #22
Vintage RV Owners Club

Could be "newer"- if such a word can be applied to something at least as old as me!
It's an "A", and not a "Super A"- made before hydraulics were added...
We've got somebody coming to look at it this evening...

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take an Amtrak train trip Chicago to Seattle and check out all the old cars and trucks rusting away in fields "back by the tracks". With the classic car craze going full tilt these days, its a wonder some entreprenuer hasn't paid a visit to these farms with a truck and trailer and a wad of cash.
Hey, wait...... hmmmmm....
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Parts is parts
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler, 2000 Harley 96in. Soft tail
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Lupus Foundation gets my no longer desired "stuff". They made a haul today.
'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey its better than an old fridge or washer/dryer laying the front yard. Like I have seen in some certain states.
Those old pieces of equipment and old cars are our history! WHO CARES! Right now scrap metal is super high in price, they must WANT to keep it.
Amateur Radio Op/Crappie Fishin Fool
1991 Cross Country Sportscoach 32 ft. Homebase Indiana
bigdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
Here in Alberta there are lots of farms with old cars, trucks and farm equip sitting ther rusting away. There are some guys now collecting off these farms and reselling parts and whole units for restorations. I used to deliver fuel to farms and one farm I went to the fellow was 95 y o, and showed me the old house where he was born. He has lived on that farm all his life and his wife and him cellebrated their 75 wedding anniversary. They have every car, truck , and piece of equipment they have ever owned sitting on their property. Therir son now runs the farm as runs otr trucks as well, and there is a selection of them as well. Quite an interesting place but what an eyesore.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

If it all gets too much and the neighbors begin to complain it can always be called "art".....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00530.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	13490  

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote