Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My adult camping started after I became a single parent. It was a relatively inexpensive way to provide entertainment and interaction with my kid. We used the back of an open pickup bed with a singles square dance club. After meeting and marring my second wife, we moved up to a van for a couple of years, then buying our first "RV", A 1988 Toyota Dolphin.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
I had camped for years out of a pup tent then got a truck with a topper. Both are o.k for short trips as long as the weather is decent. Got married late in life to a city girl who was not into that lifestyle so no camping for a while. Interstates and motels for her. UGH!!!
We had a truck and came across an older fiver that had seen better days. Took a chance and got it back into useable condition. After some convincing she agreed to give it a shot. We are hooked. A comfortable bed and a bathroom wherever we go sure beats a sleeping bag and an outhouse.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
My parents had our family out camping as far back as I can remember. I actually do remember that first trip. A borrowed truck and slide in camper for my parents and sisters and a pup tent for me & my brother at a place called crooked creek. From there they bought an old Army tent and the whole family slept in it. Then tt, then their first mh in 74. When i became an adult I continued with the Army tent, pop up back to a backpacking tent for many years with the DW and kids. Then the DW started traveling around the country 6+ years ago as a traveling nurse so we bought our first mh then recently upgraded so we can work towards full timing in the very near future. We still use the backpacking tent and we are planning a trip to the Black Hills in July with the tent. Sometimes it is easier and more fun depending on the activities we are doing to tent camp.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
I grew up camping with my family. My parents started us with a tent, then graduated to a pop up. I have found memories of that Starcraft tent trailer. They eventually purchased a used prowler travel trailer....then upgraded to a new KZ sportsmen for their retirement. Me, I moved to the sunny south, after a few years decided I missed camping so I bought a tent and gear. Then chicken out of tent camping by myself, later discoved a rv dealer and bought a Coleman pop up. I had it for years...two things happened...1: while camping in a rural state park a vagrant decided to make himself at home on my picnic table (park rangers ran him off) and 2: I went to work in the correctional system and realized there are some not so nice folks out there and tenting was not enough protection. So I bought a 16 ft travel trailer. Since then upgraded to a 26ft trailer (needed more room for dogs), and finally upgraded to my current trailer a KZ Spree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-408062290.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	40367  
Kaexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never camped much as a kid with family. Later camped (tent) while deer and bear hunting in northern mich. After kids appeared took them tent camping many times. Didn't do too much after that since we had a 'cabin' in the boonies.

RVing didn't come about until about 8 years ago. We were invited to stay with friends of friends in Florida who all had RVs. Be bought an old Class C to see how we liked it. We got hooked and did many trips to Fl and out west. Bought a Class A and the journey continues. We still go to Fl in the winter and stay in a resort as well as other trips out of Mich in the summer.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
We started with a 1969 Ford 1/2 ton with a topper. I built in a bed & galley. Sold the topper and bought a 8 ft cab-over on the 1/2 ton.

Sold the Ford and bought a new 1970 El Dorado Class C. (mini motorhome in those days)

Traded Mini for used 1969 Chevy 3/4 ton truck and 23 ft. Ideal TT.

Sold the TT and bought our first ocean boat. 30 ft Chris Craft.

Couple boats later in Ventura, CA, where we lived on our Trawler, we sold the boat and bought a 30 ft. Wilderness 5ver in 1978. Wife, Son & I lived in it while we built a Log home in Frazier PK, CA. Decided to go traveling so finished the House & sold it & the Wilderness and Bought a 40 ft Country Aire with a single TIP-OUT. I think it was a 1976. Great 5ver. Spent 2 winters in far NorthEast Montana and survived. I gets cold 25 miles south of the Canadian border

Also spent a couple years "camping under the wing" with our Cessna. Primitive but fun.

Two long a story. 4 TT's later and 10 years living on boats in S CA and here we are with our DP. Probably this will be the end of our RV Story, which if was a book would be titled "Lost but making good time".

Really enjoying the DP thing. Just fun to drive. More for me than the DW but she is adjusting to the MH.

I think this is 44 years of RV fun. Good Life.

Keith & Shirley
2002 38' Diplomat
Keith & Shirley
Durant, OK
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
The first camping I can remember was in July, 1955,with Dad,Mom,myself, my sister and our Aunt. The camping equiptment was a large tarp. Rope, wool blankets, firedarkened pots, a flash light, and fishing rods. The place Grand Lake ,Colo. In 1958 Dad bought a used 1958 Terry 15 ft, TT. We used it until my Sister and I were Gone from home, Me - Army ,Sister -College. The folks bought a1972, Kencraft 27' TT. I was now backpacking with a tent. After getting my BS degree I got married and SHMBO and I tent camped. Even when our son came along we tent camped with him on an apnea monitor. Bought a 16' wilderness TT and when our son out grew the bunk, we bought the Nash we now own. Our son now camps for the Army.
99 F-350 4X4 PSD pulling a 24' Nash travel trailer
JRNOLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
I still remember parts of my first camping trip, mostly from the black and white pictures my Mother took. 1955, I was 4, Mom and Dad drove my brother (6) and me from Shreveport LA to, and all over, Colorado in a 1952 Studebaker. We tent camped for two weeks and we did that for years, then moved up to TTs and pop ups. During college I had a 1/2 ton pick up with a topper. Built a bunk in that for weekend trips. "Camped" in the sleeper of Kenworths, Peterbuilts, and Freightliners for several years. Always liked being on the road. I still say that driving a truck was the most fun I ever had and got paid for i,t but that's hard on family life. DW grew up going to Colorado every summer, mostly staying in cabins. Took the kids tenting when they were small. Then no camping for many years. We always talked about having a DP. DW was not interested in going small or less than very comfortable. I wanted a rig that would "get on down the road". We bought our first RV, a DP, three years ago and are loving every minute. Semi retired now and DW says she gets excited just seeing the rig all hooked up ready to go. A month in Colorado last summer and going again this year. Many smaller trips in between. Retiring 1-1-15 and then it's Alaska and Canada and New England and....
Just our story, thanks for asking.
Charlie & Olivia- Denton, TX, 08' Monaco Dynasty Squire IV, Cummins ISL 425, Blue Ox, M&G, Rubicon
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends"
chuck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
My Mom and Dad were camping before I came along in 58... Then we continued,, as time would allow, as my Dad was a trucker also. First camper "I remember" was a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup with a slide in camper,, then a 'mini-motorhome' back then, class C now. After I left home for The Army, they bought a 5th wheel and Dodge cummins pickup. Now days, DW and I are on our first rv, a 95 class A , great shape, been to AZ and back 3 times so far, over 8000 miles I figure. We got it so we could visit her family and take our "kids", Great Danes. We are now starting to think a little more room would be nice,,, LOL,, but will pay off the house first. A DP sure would be nice, but working too much right now to justify the cost. Maybe someday...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mh3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	40494  
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My parents started us camping. Every Friday night during the summer, after work, our family would head to conn dam for the weekend. Found out years later my parents hated it but thought it was important for us kids who loved it. Dw's family did the same but at a different place. Her parents got a class c and we used that, my parents got a tt after they retired and we used that. Now we retired and bought our class a. I am amazed at the number of people that either full time or are going to. I still need the sticks and brick, plus we are very close to family and friends but it is nice to get up and go when ever we want.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
My wife and I love to travel. We went to Ireland 3 years ago and all of our vacations since have been out of the country. We aren't really campers per say. We need a bed to sleep in. Two years ago some friends invited us to go camping with them, in a cabin. We came back from the weekend totally relaxed. We did this a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Last summer I broke the subject of buying an RV and to my surprise my wife loved the idea. So we now own a Class A and get out as much as possible. The added benefit is no more trips to Europe.
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit.
Served U.S.A.F
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought a well kept MH a year ago to try the lifestyle out without taking a financial bath if we did not like it. Everything that needed to be done we did ourself with the help of this forum. Decided we liked it, will probably trade up this winter. Made alot of improvements which should allow us to recover our total expenses with some extra left over.
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #27
DW and I started with a 1968 Ford with a pickup camper in 1971. We did many of the states east of the Mississippi River. We had no plan, and headed south, but wound up in Montreal. In 1972 we headed west for six weeks. We did the grand tour including up to Banff. I had spent the winter planning our trip. We did the whole trip on less than $800. Camping averaged $3.50 a night and fuel for the entire trip averaged $0.289 a gallon. We sold the camper and the truck and purchased a van which we used for several years before buying a used popup, which we used to drag our first born to Canada and the Great Lakes. Another child, a new popup and traveling. Children leave so we buy a TT and they decide that they still want to travel with us. Three TTs later we fall into a Motorhome that we still use today. (Herman bought it, had a heart attack and would never drive it again. It had never been slept in when we bought it.) Now we spend our winters in AZ, what time we can in the Smoky Mts. and travel the rest of the country when we can get away. Life is good!
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
Growing up we always camped in a tent. We never stayed in a motel. Wife and daughters camped in a tent till 1978 we bought an older Caveman truck camper so nice to be up off the ground. Moved up to TT, then a 36' FW which either I or DW or both of lived in for 6 yrs while working away from home. Thought we wanted to full time, but this changed our minds. Moved to a TT, to a FW, to a TT. to a Roadtrek 190 and our present FW. Roadtrek was to small, new FW to large. We are never happy. Now would like to have a Class B+ or a small Class C. It never ends. Might try to sell it on our own, just have to pay $5 to $6k to get rid of it. - Dale

2014 Winnebago View Profile24v
2016 Honda CR-V LX AWD
1994 F150 4X4 XLT Ext Cab
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote