Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #29
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great stories, I started in a 28 ft class a. P 30 chassis.454. 1986 pathfinder by sportscoach.

Trashman 1998 winnebago adventurer 33ft. f 53 460 7.5 16in. Wheels. 2005 Harley Davidson duece
trashman1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #30
iRV2 No Limits Club
My darling wife led me down the "camping" road. When we were dating in 1972, her mother allowed me to accompany them on the first trip of the year. My wife's mother was an avid camper and camped most weekends when the weather would allow. We went to a local state park, in a truck camper, and proceeded to set up. It was the very first trip of the year and the camper had been in storage all winter. My future mother in law started the refrigerator on propane. A bird's nest in the flue caught the camper on fire! Not a great introduction to the world of camping. The camper was ruined and no camping took place that weekend.

A year later, we married, and with the very last of our wedding cash, bought a tent, and some supplies for camping. As is the case with many camping couples, we “upgraded” as time went on. We had a series of tents, a truck camper, a pop up camper, and four different travel trailers during our working life. Each unit was a little bigger and more complex.

So I started camping to be close to my wife. After 41 years of marriage, I still just want to be close to her.

We now have been full time for 8 years and have no regrets about it.

Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #31
Bought a 500cc M/C, after that all I could afford was a tent on the side of the road. I camped behind Drive-ins, hwy medians and on top of a lot of rocks. The bus is to take the cat!
HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #32
Grew up camping with parents, mostly locally, within 100 miles of home. More of a change of routine and scenery for them. There was a bunch of us kids, so there were limited options available.

Later, through my late teens and early adulthood, camping usually involved a canoe trip down a river. There were a TON of those trips, but rarely did we find the need to go out of state. I always had the thought that I would really start traveling when I retired.

So when I retired, that's what we set about doing! Didn't take too long to figure out we would be going to do this with an RV lifestyle. With the dogs/4 legged family, there was no way I was going to abandon them for weeks/months at a time. More research led us to a motor home, and more yet to our DP. Wouldn't change a thing given the chance.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #33
National RV Owners Club
Been a tent camper for most of my life. The male parental unit was way to cheap to ever consider anything like a camper or RV. Fast forward from childhood about 40 years and I had a friend who invited me up to the annual family holiday retreat. Most of them had trailers or MH's. I decided that maybe I should buy a cheap class C for some nice little trips. Before I did that, I ended up meeting my wife. When I discussed my simple little class c idea, she was all over it. Apparently she had taken many childhood RV trips with her father in a Class A. However my simple little idea began to take on a life of it's own, fuelled by her shopping list of requirements. So C + W = A and there you have the algebra of RV'ing.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
Smile From the Ridiculous to the Sublime

Well, I could go all the way back to the 60's and our backpacking days. But that wouldn't really be fair.

RVing for us really started in 1999 with a used SportsMobile pop-top Dodge van, which we lovingly named the Ag-Wagon, as it allowed us to go to Texas A&M for the Aggie football games without having to stay at the Relax Inn, home of the see-through towel.

The Ag-Wagon was our start in RVing. We traveled all of Texas, from the Gulf Coast in the east to the Davis Mountains in the west and on up into the Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas. It opened a new world of travel to us, and it will always have a warm spot in our hearts.

Warm spot or not, it didn’t take long to outgrow the Ag-Wagon, as you can imagine. We bought our second RV, a 26′ Trail-Lite B+ in the winter of 2004. We dubbed it the SLU-Mobile as our daughter was in law school at Saint Louis University, but the name never quite stuck, and it was usually just the “RV.” But what a step up! It had a real bed, a real kitchen, and real plumbing. There was a dinette, a sofa, and standing room. It was a real motorhome, and it gave us a great ten years, traveling from the Atlantic Coast to the Grand Canyon and north into Canada.

Finally it was time for Act 3. We wanted a little more comfort and a little more room. Our new-to-us motorhome is a 34 foot Winnebago with two slide outs and all sorts of room. The comfort level has again increased exponentially. Not only is there a full-sized couch, but also a nice swivel rocker along with a dinette. In the bedroom the bed is queen-sized and there is closet and drawer space galore. The bath includes a full-sized shower with a skylight and glass sliding door, and a nice medicine chest over the vanity. In the kitchen area, my wife has a pantry, a 2-door refrigerator, and plenty of drawers. There is a roof-mounted satellite dish for the TV (all I need is a subscription to Dish) and a Sirius satellite radio. In the cockpit there is a back-up camera, a downhill brake, and automatic leveling jacks.

For a couple of retired school teachers, we're in tall cotton.
Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #35
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
September 1999; wife and I were in our huge front yard raking leaves. A nearly daily task in the Fall. During a sweaty break to guzzle water, we looked at each other with the same unspoken thought ... "Why the he** are we doing this at our age?" Retired, and still slaves to a house, yard, and stuff. We decided at that very moment to do something drastic about the endless rut we were in. The solution did take a few years and we are still not completely free, but a whole lot closer.

We have the rig. The house is nearly cleared of contents, and we have a small rented storage facility for a few of our treasured "keeper" things. Mail box got sawed off at ground level last year, so now we have mail sent to our mail forwarding service. Sure did reduce the junk mail problem. No house telephone ... cell phones only.

Now anytime we want, we get in the motorcoach and zoom off. Grass, leaves, snow, all handled by a "service" until the house is sold. When that happens you will hear a roar of jubilation coming from the central Ohio area.

Look in your rear view mirrors. If you see the name "Moonvover" on the nose of the rig behind you, it is us ... we made it out on the road to freedom.
Love your avatar and story.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #36
DW and I both agreed that once we retired we were outta here for the cold winter months. As we grew older, the cold and snow bothered us more and more. The only question was how to accomplish our dream/goal.

She always wanted a little place, south of the Mason Dixon line, but I didn't want another S&B to have to pay taxes on and be stuck in one spot. So I always advocated for looking at some sort of RV; my preference was a 5'r.

A little over 3 yrs ago, one came up "for sale" in our local Penny Saver and we went over to take a look. Well, once DW saw the inside (it was immaculate), she fell in love and we bought it on the spot. So now we take it on short, medium and longer outings to learn, practice and get comfortable for when the big day comes in a little under 2 more years.

And, as they say, the rest is history! Turns out, we both love it and it's a way to spend quality time together, which is something we have very little of, right now.
'03 Ford F350 4X4 V10 Gasser Ext. Cab
'05 29' Chateau 5'r
'03 Ranger 520 DVX / 225 hp Evinrude
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #37
My parents started us out camping in a tent when we were little and we camped a couple of times from Kentucky to California and back. We moved up from a tent to a pop up after having to break down the 500lb army surplus tent in 6" of snow in Yellowstone. The pop up made it across country too a few times as well as shorter trips to local parks.

The pop up moved on when my parents bought a houseboat. We used it for years on Lake Cumberland and "camped" all over the lake. Good times! The 2nd larger houseboat came along which all of the kids (3 of us) and our families used until just a few years ago.

My DH didn't camp as a kid and didn't see any need for us to camp since we had a fireplace and if we wanted a fire we could build one there. It took YEARS to convince him otherwise and it was only with the fly fishing card that I was able to then. He got the fly fishing bug and with well worded & timed hints about fishing for trout in Montana, Utah, Wyoming....I finally got him to think it was his idea to buy a B+. That lasted a year and HE was the one who decided we needed something larger and found the now for-sale-Class A gasser that we have.

Now we're on the hunt for a DP!
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #38
Started in 1972 with pickup and cabover. 1988 got a small 5th wheel. 2000 bought a 2000 class C. Sold it 3 years ago and bought 34 ft 5th wheel 2 years ago after retirement.
tmoore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #39
Vintage RV Owners Club
My parents are to blame. Took us all around the country... first in motels, then a tent/or motel, then they bought a little trailer in the early 70's. I really couldn't call that camping as I was by then getting into campcrafting skills and had the opinion it wasn't camping unless it was in a tent, with every meal cooked on a campfire or if raining too hard, on a small campstove. As I got older, the ground got harder, so I added a cot to my gear and a larger campstove, and then the dog and her crate... well, by the time I was packed for a weekend campout it filled the truck bed... so when DH got his powered parachute, I told him I needed a toy also, and so we searched and bought an older small type C... our dear old 'Honey' so now and then, we go play with our toys together... and sometimes, we just take the camper to get away and relax for a weekend. Don't know if hubby really will take to it enough to want to upgrade someday... as I get older and rounder...ahem.... I would like a larger bed than the dinette affords and a little more showerig room than my 'squirt the shower gel on the walls, twirl 3 times one direction, run more water, twirl the other direction to clean me, my toilet, and my entire bathroom all at once' setup affords.
I don't really want to go longer or much more complicated as I want to be able to 'do it all myself' for when just the dog and I go...
Don't know as I will ever fulltime... I am pretty connected to gardening....
But, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #40
Fleetwood Owners Club
My family never camped but my first wife's did. The first year we were married (1972), she suggested we go camping, so we borrow a tent and off we go - in an MG. Bought our own tent that year, an 8x10 Coleman. We continued tent camping for years after that, including our daughter (and sometimes our dog) only in larger cars, up to and including an old Ford sedan delivery. Used the tent a lot when I sold model kits and car parts at old car shows too. After we divorced in 1994 (not related to camping), I remarried and found out that my second wife's family also camped a lot when she was younger. Out comes the 1972 tent again and away we go. After the ground got too rough and cots really didn't work that well (plus having too many dogs), we quit camping for several years. Last year she says why not get a motorhome or fifth wheel and travel when we retire? So now we have a 1998 Fleetwood looking forward to retirement and full-timing.

PS: Sold the 1972 tent last week in a garage sale...put it up in about five minutes by myself to demonstrate it...loved that tent...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
On the Go - One of These Days...
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #41
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

Both wife and I camped with families as kids, when we married the only way we could afford to do the traveling we wanted to do was by camping. When our kids came along we were still in the station wagon and tent phase, as finances allowed we continued to camp, just with more style. Started phase out of tent with pop-up then moved to small TT, then moved to larger TT, then step to TT with slides, now have gone to Class A for travel with the grandkids, my kids joke that they had to "rough it" with us when they were little, and now their kids travel in a Class A motorhome!! Progress, I guess. Was pleased to hear that my daughter's family is going to get pop-up to start camping now. So will be 3rd generation of RV'ers in our family.

I guess my next natural progression will be a nice DP for travel in retirement.
Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #42
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Our first "RV" was a 750cc Moto Guzzi cycle, a small tent, and two sleeping bags. ............
We also started tent camping on my 72 MotoGuzzi m/c, Daytona for speed week, various Guzzi rallies etc. Then, while stationed in North Carolina, we bought a 23 foot Paceship sailboat. Sailed throughout Albemarle sound and Chesapeake bay, weekends and when I could get leave.
After I retired from the Coast Guard in 85, we started showing Newfoundlands, started with a 23 ft Scotty TT and a van. Even DW's Mom would go along and show her Shih-Tzu. Bought a used 90 Georgie Boy CruiseMaster Class A in 92, and finally a new Georgie Boy Dp in 2001. We have gone away from the dog shows but still have seen a lot of the country. We try every fall to vacation in the mountains in Tenn, Ga, NC and SC. And we are still working on getting to see the rest of the Northwest....

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote