Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why? and How? did you get here!

Long ago,(38 years next month) DW and I started camping as a way to go on low budget vacations. A couple of tents, TT, a 5th wheel, two MH's, a couple of kids. Three grandkids here we are, still having a great time ! Let us know your story?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fisherman's13 054.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	40330  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several years ago bought a Jeep - started off-roading with 4x4 clubs in the SoCal deserts and mountains. Many of the other Jeepers had RV's and camped together, while we were in a motel miles away and missing much of the off-the-trail camaraderie. So bought a motorhome to join the Jeeping/camping. Found we also enjoyed traveling and camping with the RV, as well as off-roading.

Multiple Jeeps and a couple motorhomes later, here we are now. We get out for about one+ long weekends a month and a couple three week+ times a year. Sometimes Jeeping/camping, sometimes just camping.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #3

November 72, I can't do the math in my head, we'll settle for long ago.
DW and I tented our way to the NHRA Super Nationals, got way to wet.
Next year I bought and converted a Dodge van, dry place to sleep and crossed Canada in it. Got away from the travel part of being out doors with a mountain cabin got into snowmobiling and dirt bikes, for many years. 95 bought the first of 4, 5ers, another trip across the continent , and purchased our MH , 3 years ago, on our way home, and looking forward to many more.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
My husband's family all had some sort of RV (mostly trailers) so one of our first purchases was a slide-in truck camper. I got the RV "bug" and 37 years later I am now on my 9th RV. Still lovin' it!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #5

Very first "camping" was in a van conversion in in 1975. From there to a used 24ft Jayco Class C in 1982, Than came the Georgie Boy 28 ft Class A. Next came a brand new ordered Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE 36 ft. Then down sized to a Safari 28ft Trek. What an awesome little class A, went everywhere in that little darlin. To where we are today in a Tiffin RED 36QSA.
First diesel with slideouts. Now shopping for either a Phaeton or Entegra.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Our first "RV" was a 750cc Moto Guzzi cycle, a small tent, and two sleeping bags. Our next was a (very) used class C, but that was so long ago that I don't even remember how long it was. Eventually, some welds broke and the back end began to sag.

After a long period without one we got a 19' class B that we used for 18 years. It was great for weekends. It was ok for 2 to 3 week trips. When be began taking 6 week trips, it became claustrophobic.

We now have a 27' 5er that seems just perfect for us. I think anything longer would limit our ability to get into some of the places where we like to boondock.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #7

We've gone all the way from tent camping, VW van, pop up, slide-in truck camper, TT, small gas Winnie, to DP. All except the DP were when our boys were growing up. During their teen years we stopped camping as they weren't interested anymore and had sports events on weekends. The boys (now men) are married and on their own, so we decided to begin again, hence the DP. We've considered full timing, but haven't committed to that yet. I wouldn't be surprised if that's in our future some day.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
38 years ago, as DW and I were getting ready to get hitched, we went to an RV show and saw the new GM, sleek new RVs (compared to the boxy Winnies of that day). We could only dream then of "...maybe being able to do that some day...".

Move forward 37.5 years, we bought our first RV...no camping or travel trailers in between...here we are traveling in our first, and hopefully last RV and doing it full time for six months. Dream fulfilled
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Camped (sort of) in a not very fun way for 20 years in the Army. After retiring in 96 a co-worker invited us to go camping with him and his family. Camping gear consisted of a couple of sleeping bags and some flashlights. I was reluctant to go, but did and got hooked. Wow! No kevlar helmet to wear, no M16 to tote around, no stand to. This is nice I thought. That first camping trip was at a place called Long Ravine Campground at Rollins Lake, in Colfax, Ca. Next thing you know we've got a tent and some more gear and we're doing our own camping trips, oftentimes bringing our boat and jet ski along for additional fun. 2 1/2 years ago the wife decided we should upgrade the tent, so we replaced it with our 2005 National Dolphin. Still loving it! Still creating incredible memories for nieces, nephews and good friends children. I like that we can go camping several times a year for way less than 1 or 2 annual vacations. Cheap fun? Sometimes, but not when we're in a resort RV park at Lake Tahoe that's $70 a night.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Bought our first pop up thirty years ago for $600. Used it for a trip to Disney World with family. Didn't do much campground camping. Few years later with new (and still) spouse started tent camping with sons. DW grew up in rv's. bought travel trailer and used it quite a bit. As sons got into high school we slowly quit going and sold TT. 5 years ago we realized how much we missed the life and bought our first motorized, a class c. Now two class A's later we are looking forward to full timing.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #11

September 1999; wife and I were in our huge front yard raking leaves. A nearly daily task in the Fall. During a sweaty break to guzzle water, we looked at each other with the same unspoken thought ... "Why the he** are we doing this at our age?" Retired, and still slaves to a house, yard, and stuff. We decided at that very moment to do something drastic about the endless rut we were in. The solution did take a few years and we are still not completely free, but a whole lot closer.

We have the rig. The house is nearly cleared of contents, and we have a small rented storage facility for a few of our treasured "keeper" things. Mail box got sawed off at ground level last year, so now we have mail sent to our mail forwarding service. Sure did reduce the junk mail problem. No house telephone ... cell phones only.

Now anytime we want, we get in the motorcoach and zoom off. Grass, leaves, snow, all handled by a "service" until the house is sold. When that happens you will hear a roar of jubilation coming from the central Ohio area.

Look in your rear view mirrors. If you see the name "Moonvover" on the nose of the rig behind you, it is us ... we made it out on the road to freedom.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After DW went thru her stage 3 cancer; chemo; year of three nights a week shots; we went out two years ago and bought our Winnebago; she said we couldn't afford it and I said we couldn't afford not to. We have not looked back. We love it! We originally are from Pittsburgh area but now are from upstate SC.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Went to the lake (early 70s)...wanted to stay, so we slept in the boat. From then until now...shell on a P/U, slide in P/U 9 1/2" camper, pull behind TT, Class C, 5th wheel, MH.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #14

New Horizons Owners Club
DW's family RVed, I tent camped with friends. We used a 4-Star, 3-horse slant trailer with dressing room and camped for 18 years (previously 4Star4Now on IRV2). Sold the farm and 4-Star last year, living full-time in 37' fifth wheel and enjoying the new lifestyle very much. Parked east of the Chesapeake through December this year until retirement date, then we're "Pullin' Chocks" for wider spaces to the west.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote