Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
My wife and I have been camping all of our lives. We just keep getting bigger and better things to do it with.
Ditto, started out with a 9X9 canvas tent from Jones Tent and Awning, (which will tell anyone from the northwest just how old I am . . . ) then a 9X12 then a pop up then a 24' 5th and now a 30' 5th. We will sell our home and buy a large Class A in 5 years when my wife retires then you can colour us gone!

We just can't get enough of our wonderful America, both here in Canada and there in the US. We have a fridge magnet from 7 of our provinces and about 30 of the States and we will have them all in a short time.

The elixir of life, good health, woodsmoke and fresh air whenever you want it, all kinds of weather and most of all, every kind of people you can imagine

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #16

Told the wife after last dog passed on, no more pets I want to travel. She couldn't get over it so she bought two new poodles and I bought a Newmar Essex to drive them around in. Now I would get rid of her before the Pups.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #17

Grew up camping and being outside. Got tired, broke, and heartbroken from constant kenneling our 2 Heelers. Since we all love camping we bought our camper and save more on kenneling than we do on our camper payment and are much happier as a family. Taking our daughter and 2 grandsons out for their first camping trip soon. So happy to be a RV'r!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
First we got into Geocaching... then we got a Jeep so we could get those caches in the forest. Then we modified the Jeep so we could get to harder to reach caches... now the Jeep was not comfortable to long distance travel. We got a truck to pull the Jeep and now we could go further to go Geocaching/Jeeping but needed a place to stay. We got a slide in camper so we could stay over night further away to go Geocaching/Jeeping/camping. That was short lived as I had a hard time getting into and out of the over the cab bunk. Traded truck and camper on a used Class A and could still put the Jeep behind. We headed out west to Moab to go Jeeping and I was sold on Class A's immediately. Watching the country go by in that enormous windshield was something else. I just can't get enough of it. Not to mention that great accommodations I'm dragging along right behind me.
David
Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I've had the latent bug for decades, but didn't do much camping in any form. In 2001, we were moving 1700 miles. I had an Explorer company car and my wife had a RAV4. I thought we'd sell the RAV4 and buy a motorhome to make the trip. We had three large dogs at the time. My wife vetoed the motorhome, So we all squeezed into the RAV4 for two days of hard driving.

Four years later, we moved back and again drove an SUV. This time it was a Lincoln Navigator, which is a lot roomier than the RAV4, but still snug with the dogs and luggage.

Three years ago, the bug started biting again and I was browsing through the RVs on eBay. I found some that were interesting and discussed them with my wife. She finally said "yes" and we bought one. Eighteen months later we upgraded. We were getting out all the time and she loved it. We're upgrading again now.

She really didn't think we'd use a motorhome. Instead, we've been taking a trip every month. Last year, we used it three times for family emergencies. It was so nice to have that "home away from home" instead of trying to find a hotel that would allow a dog.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #20

Every year since the 1970s I have been going to the EAA airshow at Oshkosh. I started with a small pup tent and each year upgraded to something more comfortable as more and more of the family attended. We went to a pop-up, then a travel trailer, a bigger travel trailer, an old class C, and finally a Class A. It just keeps getting better and better. However, the most fun is flying in and sleeping under the wing in a tent. At Oshkosh there is little other choice than to RV or tent. It's almost impossible to get a hotel/motel room, and the university dorms pose transportation and parking challenges. EAA AirVenture is one of the larger gatherings of RVs in the country. There is everyting from the Partridge Family school bus to million dollar luxury coaches. Oh, and there are airplanes, too.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Is there RV parking on site at Oshkosh?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Really great question. Started with 2 sleeping bags on the ground and did the normal progression. When retirement time came wife and I had a very long talk, about 15 minutes, should we go motor home or do the cruises. Motor home won and we got our first one a 31 foot Winnebago, joined the Winnebago Itasca Travelers (WIT) and now into a 40 footer will start down sizing in near future. Over 50 years of seeing America and not finished yet.

Don, WIT 70041
Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
Is there RV parking on site at Oshkosh?
Mostly boondocking on site and within walking distance to everything. But if you need to ride, there are buses and trams to everywhere. Showers and maintained portapotties placed throughout the campground. It is hard to describe the show. It is too big to see it all and can be a bit intimidating to the newbie. Go to this website and read it all. It answers most of the questions.

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh - The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration
Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #24

My wife got tired of tenting mainly because of the fact that when a man takes his woman out for camping he has one in tent.

OGTerror's Off Road Videos
OGTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #25

finally started taking more expensive vacations about 12 years ago on a regular basis, kids got grown you know the story, did all the ones we had to fly to and the wife has always loved camping.
i was good as long as i had a shower every day,not much for bathing in a creek ,but didn't like camping in camp grounds with 10,000 other people and calling that camping.
did alot of research decided on a class c used ,big enough to be comfortable yet small enough for the wife to use without me when she wants to camp which is most weekends.
i figured if we hated it i could sell and not lose to much money,long story short we love the life style went on our first rv vacation this month and had a great time.
and it figures out to no more expensive then the fly out rent a car ,motel room scenario .
so one long trip a year and many short ones for many years in our future hopefully

happy traveling frank,cricket and harley
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
We were approaching retirement, and had always dreamed of traveling to see the many sights in this country. With family spread all over from CA to ME, we decided to take the plunge. Of course, the idea of following my Central Michigan Chippewas football team also played a part!

Family, friends, football, tailgating, sightseeing, small town USA experiences. You can't get that from 35,000 feet.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
The year was 1967. My wife and I were both from families that never traveled. We had been married one year. We decided to go to the smokey mtn,s. We ate no breakfast and headed into the smokeys. Having never travelled, we were unaware that there wasn't a resturant every couple of miles. We almost starved (we thought) trying to find something to eat. About four thirity that afternoon, we stumbled across the cades cove campground. WE bought some snacks at the store and then toured the campground. We thought that looked like fun, and also if we had a camper we wouldn't have to worry about food outlets. A few months later we bought a camper. Now 43 yrs and 10 campers later (three popups, two travel tralers, and five motorhomes) we still think it is fun.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #28

I'm restless by nature, so after retiring earlier and sitting around Maui, I quickly became bored. Flying every few weeks to visit or see other parts of the world became tedious with the airport hassles, different bed each night and food choices. Decided in Oct '10 to start fulltiming in MH. Have enjoyed it and should have done it sooner. Nothing like moving the home whenever you feel like a change. I like the idea that I have my bed, fridge and belongings with me without packing. Have met some good people in my travels and seen some amazing scenery.