Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wanted the DP, wife wanted the floorplan, we could afford it....so we ordered it. Nothing else matters.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #16

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I wanted the DP, wife wanted the floorplan, we could afford it....so we ordered it. Nothing else matters.
I hear that! Get what you can afford. Enjoy what you get.

Have fun, be happy, no worries.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #17

I've had both and I'm sticking with the diesels.
I'd rather get an older diesel than a a newer gas unit.

The gassers dont "run forever" - talk to the ford V10 guys, and the transmissions and rear ends are no where near as stout. Longevity is no contest...

Gassers get worse mileage - enough to make the cost of diesel fuel a non issue. Towing magnifies this- I was lucky to get 6 with my big block towing a light boat. My bigger heavier diesel gets 9-11 towing the same rig on the same route.

Diesels have much more effective engine braking. Towing in the mountains going downhill in a gasser will "get your attention." When I flip on the pac brake I can descend the grapevine in So cal and lose speed all the way down without touching the brakes. The side effect of this is that the brakes last much longer.

Diesel fuel stores much better and a season of non use doesn't require a drain.

Having a diesel powered rig makes it feasible to run a diesel generator - there is no comparison to the noisy, finicky, THIRSTY gas genets that foul carbs when stored.

Weight carrying- diesel wins again.

Altitude and heat- Almost all diesels are turbocharged and perform well at altitude and the gasser wheeze.

I'm a pretty frugal guy, and pay attention to value.

Buying a new Gasser or DP is a losers game- they depreciate like used hand grenades.

Uncle Dave
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
May dad helped me rebuild my first car in 1969. It was a '62 Comet with a blown engine we got from a friend for a song. Looked like it had been painted by roller. Was I glad to have a car and the experience of putting a Falcon 177 (I believe it was) in it? Sure. Would I have preferred he help me build a hot rod like the many he amd his dad built when he was a kid? Absolutely.

So when it came time to go Class A I decided I did not want the Comet again. No my 325 Cummins is no rocket - but it's the hot rod I wanted and didn't have as a kid. I drove my friends cars and I knew the difference. Same here. There is a difference, but putting a price on it is pointless. You either want that difference or you don't. Air ride, air brakes, and an engine 35+ feet behind ya is a good thing. A diesel generator is a very good thing. I saved my pennies up to buy the diesel, run and maintain it - not after the fact one repair, service call or gallon at a time. JMHO - YMMV
Steve

On Edit - and what Uncle Dave said too!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #19

Carolina Campers
I don't buy new. That is for sure a depreciation issue.

I also get 9 - 10+/gal with my gasser.

I know it will not last forever, neither will I for that matter....

One thing for sure, if you already purchased something, it will pay to use it for a while and receive a return on your investment versus going out and getting something new each year just to impress the friends and neighbors...

Enjoy life with what you have now, or you will not enjoy life, regardless what you get...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #20

I went from a gasser (ford 460) to a (300 turbo diesel) huge difference in quality of ride. Diesel just purrrrs over hill and dale. while the 460 would scream and sound very angry up even the slightest incline. The 460 would always run very HOT, always slow cooking the side of my foot as I tried to keep it on the pedal. I keep the fuel tanks full and do not worry about it getting old. The gas generator (onan) was so loud compared to the diesel gen, it was embarrassing to run in tight quarters. The diesel motor is so simple compared to all the smog junk that was on the gasser which makes it much easier to work on (or keep clean). Diesel chassis are built to last and are much stronger and ride better (love the air bag suspension) and the sturdy ride.

Seems to me that diesel coaches are just built better, drive better and last much longer. In My View....
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I don't buy new. That is for sure a depreciation issue.

I also get 9 - 10+/gal with my gasser.

I know it will not last forever, neither will I for that matter....

One thing for sure, if you already purchased something, it will pay to use it for a while and receive a return on your investment versus going out and getting something new each year just to impress the friends and neighbors...

Enjoy life with what you have now, or you will not enjoy life, regardless what you get...

I could get decent mileage with my gasser on the flats at 62-5, the minute I hit the hills, or the temps climbed into the 90's, or hitched up a boat it all went south in a big hurry. I was happier when I put a gear vendor overdrive in it, and I used that rig for a loong time.

Agreed - "flipping" big toys to keep up with the Joneses is foolish.

Enjoying it now is an absolute must. I took a Lake trip with several friends a few weeks ago and we had two motorhomes, mine and my buddies and we both took boats. He had his Kid come up with his truck and boat and they brought friends with trucks, and they all stayed in tents.

We were commenting that 15-20 years ago WE were the kids and it was us in the tents and although we are a bit more comfortable now- we aren't really having anymore fun than when we all roughed it.

Its easy to get into the train of though that everything is just better with bigger, larger, more etc.. and when you get there you realize its just more stuff to deal with maintain clean and you don't really enjoy it that much more..

I dont want a "bigger" motorhome than my 36 because its just a hassle to me- I want one thats more reliable and runs longer cheaper with less maintenance and better economy - and after having both thats a diesel.

Wear out what you got/ run whatctya brung - and when its all worn out go find a good used one and move on!

fun thread.

UD
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Fun thread, agreed on that.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #23

Is that your rig in the signature?

What size tires does that have?

UD
Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
I went from a gasser (ford 460) to a (300 turbo diesel) huge difference in quality of ride. Diesel just purrrrs over hill and dale. while the 460 would scream and sound very angry up even the slightest incline. The 460 would always run very HOT, always slow cooking the side of my foot as I tried to keep it on the pedal. I keep the fuel tanks full and do not worry about it getting old. The gas generator (onan) was so loud compared to the diesel gen, it was embarrassing to run in tight quarters. The diesel motor is so simple compared to all the smog junk that was on the gasser which makes it much easier to work on (or keep clean). Diesel chassis are built to last and are much stronger and ride better (love the air bag suspension) and the sturdy ride.

Seems to me that diesel coaches are just built better, drive better and last much longer. In My View....
Yup

Front engine gassers dont have air suspension (at least from the factory) or enjoy the same chassis stiffness. Another ride factor is they usually dont run 22.5" tires-all things when added up make a notable change in experience.

Having the engine 30+feet behind you changes the dynamic a lot not only the Noise vibration and heat are somewhere else- but the front engine rigs need a long driveshaft that goes all the way to the back of the unit.

This usually wipes out any kind of pass through storage, but slides can have that affect as well.

UD
Old 07-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
After reading countless posts and opinions on this topic (and owning a 40DP), I've come to the conclusion that the absolute BEST reason to buy a diesel is because you WANT one.

I think it's a fairly rare situation where putting pencil to paper will lead one to come to the conclusion that a DP is "worth the investment"... unless you can quantify the satisfaction that comes with owning and driving what you really want.

Rick
I Agree, Couldn't have said it better.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
My dad helped me rebuild my first car in 1969. It was a '62 Comet with a blown engine we got from a friend for a song. Looked like it had been painted by roller. Was I glad to have a car and the experience of putting a Falcon 177 (I believe it was) in it? Sure. Would I have preferred he help me build a hot rod like the many he amd his dad built when he was a kid? Absolutely.
With you on that, Steve old buddy. You know my story....

1st car in 1966, 1955 Ford Custom, 6 auto, with flat shaft, $50. Got a 1956 police intercepter engine for FREE. Dad and I did the swap together. Ran it hard. Drag strip wins. On-street citations. Risk insurance rates. Okay! Got it out of my system.

MHs, 2 gassers, each 6 years old, drove each for ~10 years. Great machines. They overheated but made it through. They were REAL tired. But they didnt owe me anything.

Retired. Bought my beloved but much maligned FRED. New! Went F/T and put 22K miles on it in 18 months. MPG = 10.5 to 12.3 (HONEST!!!) with Wrangler toad.

Wondering who will get tired first, me or FRED.

Dave
RVM1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
In the long run, it's what do you really want and enjoy, tempered by how much time you will spend in your rig anyway.
We love our DP for all the reasons mentioned in other posts like power, ride, milage, floor plan, etc.
However the one thing I don't see mentioned that is an additional factor particularly if you use it a lot is the noise level.
With the gas engine, it is up front while you are driving during the day...NOISY! At night when you are sleeping in the back (at least in the rigs we have had), the gen is in the back...NOISY again if running for AC.
In the DP, the engine is in the back while you are driving in the front, QUIET. In the evening if running the gen, it is in the front while sleeping in the back, QUIET again!
Lots of things to look at but if you really don't want it, why spend the money???
Irene
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #28

My reason for Diesel are Air ride suspension, great ride. Air brakes, engine brake, pass through storage. power for towing and better fuel economy. But, to each his own.

Tags
diesel