Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see a lot of threads on here about the cost of DP maintenance, $7000 for a pump here, $15000 for a new turbo there,
My gasser hasn't really cost me much more in repairs than a car, and most stuff I can fix myself if I really have to.
That said, I'd really like an Allegro Breeze someday.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
One of the big reasons I converted from gas was I was tired of wondering if I was going to be able to stop, and REALLY tired of dealing with the parking brake arrangement? With air brakes there are no questions regarding stopping or parking brakes. How do you put a price on that when trying to justify the cost of a diesel? Bonus's include the air suspension for superior ride and the ability to lower the coach on site for a lower entry. Having the engine in the back (lower noise level and less heat in cab area), and the exhaust brake when in the hills is a godsend when you get used to it! Then there are dual pane windows, potentially better insulation, as well as higher quality interior components. The fact you generally have much higher resale?

I could go on, but I think that until you take the time to check further into a diesel, you first have to want one bad enough to do that, to educate yourself about them. Once to that point I doubt you'll look back. That was my experience. -Al
Gosh what kind of gas rig did you have? I have dual pane windows. OK here is the problem I have with my brakes. I drive so light footed on them my toad serge brakes very seldom energize. Like I mentioned before I was trained in a Crown tandem10 spd manual. I learned how to operate large vehicles in heavy traffic conditions without having to. rely on my brakes because I was following too close. I've driven 5ver, TTs, TCs, MHs. I have never had trouble with brakes on any of them. Mechanical or air. Of course I service my vehicles.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #45

I'm just a little guy. No new stuff in this camp. My latest experience was with a 94 34' HR w/tag axle on a Chev. chassis. I can drive in traffic too, and yes, my vehicles are kept at or near 100% regarding roadworthy condition. Never did the OTR thing with a big truck, not sure that's relevant though? I did work on these things for 19 years earlier in my career if you're questioning my driving competence level? My concerns regarding stopping were related to a vehicle run at, very near, or over it's GVWR (as most gassers are), and being in the hills. More specifically, going down them?

I wrote of my experience. Yours may differ? -Al
Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I'm just a little guy. No new stuff in this camp. My latest experience was with a 94 34' HR w/tag axle on a Chev. chassis. I can drive in traffic too, and yes, my vehicles are kept at or near 100% regarding roadworthy condition. Never did the OTR thing with a big truck, not sure that's relevant though? I did work on these things for 19 years earlier in my career if you're questioning my driving competence level? My concerns regarding stopping were related to a vehicle run at, very near, or over it's GVWR (as most gassers are), and being in the hills. More specifically, going down them?

I wrote of my experience. Yours may differ? -Al
I can remember sitting along side LA freeways for hours at a time. First transferring prisoners to another bus & waiting for a tow truck driver that could remove brakes so it could be towed because it took so long I lost air. Of course it didn't cost me for that labor on the Crowns.I was just trying to point out people buy diesels because they want one. Not because they are better compared to price. Or they drive that much better. They do go up hills faster. As a practical matter wonder how many diesel MHs out there with a couple of hundred thousand miles on them. My previous MH had less than 10, 000 miles on it when I sold it.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a gasser for 5 years and then invested in a DP which we have had for 3 1/2 years now. The reason we went for the DP is 1) no more are we pushed off the side of the highway by 18 wheelers flying by us, 2) the floor plan, 3) the exhaust brake 4) the CCC, 5) the diesel generator, 6) the major reduction in engine noise while driving especially when climbing mountains, 7) the larger holding tanks, 8) the larger fuel tank, 9) the power of the engine and last but not least 10) the air ride: a whole different experience!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
I realize everyone buys what they want but I don't understand about the going down the mountain grades in a gasser being a problem. My gasser has tow/haul that limits my speed down steep grades. If that doesn't do the job I have cruise control. If I set it at any speed it will also maintain that speed down the grade. Living in WY we have fairly steep hills.
Unloaded or no tow- not a very big deal.
Loaded and towing- the differences between the two a marked.

Diesel Gas- the constant truth between them is -

Your cruise control/trans can only "slow you down" in sliding scale with the ability of the engines actual compression braking. The trans will not allow sustained beyond redline as a brake - it will upshift.

The two are remarkably different in this regard.

Gas engines have both low compression and no exhaust braking capability.

Diesel have way more compression and staged progressively capable engine brakes, you go from Pac, to Jake to Multistage Jake.

When engaged I can drive my motorhome in traffic on the 10 freeway and be able to keep up with the cars pass merge and almost all of it with one foot. It stops so well on the pac you can basically drive without the brakes and when you use them both you have really powerful braking.

UD
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rodney--there is no explaining "why" we want things; we just do. If you want a DP and can afford it, why not? For us a gasser is the best choice and we love ours; have no plan or desire to do otherwise. For a non-essential item that sits in storage 95% of the time, spending big bucks does not appeal to us. (Heck, to us our Bounder was "big bucks". )

Don't let other peoples' opinions sway you, because that's all they are...opinions. (And everybody's got one.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
More money when you purchase it, more money for maintainence, more money when you fill the diesel tank. No thank you, my gas is paid for and rides and handles very good.
More Money to purchase- Not always depends on what you are buying and what kind of deal you get. I bought a flawless 36 ft DP with 18K miles on it for 30K.

More money for maintenance- not per mile driven it isn't. This is why there are no gasoline semi trucks.

More money per fill- but almost always less (or at worst equal) money per mile driven because of superior economy (its a fact diesel has 20% more energy per unit than gas)

Ride- the consensus is air bags are a step up from shocks and springs- but My gasser rode OK until it was loaded and towing.

UD
Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #51
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
The way I got it was because of the taxes going up he is having trouble justifying the cost of a diesel.
Nope, you're missing the point. In some states personal property such as boats, RVs, ect. are taxed each year as to their actual value. States do that in lieu of income tax or real estate tax. Buying a new car can be an expensive proposition.

Pay 6% tax on a 10,000.00 vehicle, $600.00, or pay 6% on a 100,000.00 RV, $6000.00 and it is quite a difference. Some states collect that tax every year you own the item.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #52

I have read all threads and I need to answer some questions
I am 53 years we have our own HVAC business started in 1983
we donít get to go a lot because of work we use our RV about 10 weekends
a year most trips are not more then 2 to 3 hours away .Our sons are working the business with us and they will take over in the next 10 years and that is when we want to travel I can afford a Diesel now and would like to have it paid for by the time we retire
The biggest problem I have is the Property tax a $225,000.00 Ventanna would cost me $4500.00 per year I think I read where I can buy it in Montana and register it there and save that money.
The other issue is the Class E drivers License. Has anybody taken that test and what is involved?The service issue is on my present coach the Ford part none of our local dealers work on F53.
I am scared to death to drive my Gas unit in the mountains because of the Brakes I push the petal to slow down not stop quickly I do run the tow haul mode when driving in town it does help stopping.I think in the next year I will be Buying a Ventanna 3634
I donít want a full wall slide or a slide with appliances in it. My 2011 Canyon Star 3642
has less then 4000 miles on it how much of a hit would I take on trading it or selling it now verses 2 years from now.I think I have come to the conclusion that I donít need one but I do want one.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I have read all threads and I need to answer some questions
I am 53 years we have our own HVAC business started in 1983
we don’t get to go a lot because of work we use our RV about 10 weekends
a year most trips are not more then 2 to 3 hours away .Our sons are working the business with us and they will take over in the next 10 years and that is when we want to travel I can afford a Diesel now and would like to have it paid for by the time we retire
The biggest problem I have is the Property tax a $225,000.00 Ventanna would cost me $4500.00 per year I think I read where I can buy it in Montana and register it there and save that money.
The other issue is the Class E drivers License. Has anybody taken that test and what is involved?The service issue is on my present coach the Ford part none of our local dealers work on F53.
I am scared to death to drive my Gas unit in the mountains because of the Brakes I push the petal to slow down not stop quickly I do run the tow haul mode when driving in town it does help stopping.I think in the next year I will be Buying a Ventanna 3634
I don’t want a full wall slide or a slide with appliances in it. My 2011 Canyon Star 3642
has less then 4000 miles on it how much of a hit would I take on trading it or selling it now verses 2 years from now.I think I have come to the conclusion that I don’t need one but I do want one.
What does your wife want? How much more would you annual taxes be on the Ventanna than you're paying now. You'll probably take another 15-20% hit on the value of your current coach in the next two years. You'll take more that on a new one. In all honesty, I think you have answered your own question. It appears that you want the DP and can afford it. If not in this lifetime, in which one will you have it? Whichever one you have, use it all you can while you and yours are healthy enough to enjoy it.

I don't need a DP, but it's a lifelong dream fullfilled. I have no regrets about buying it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Gosh what kind of gas rig did you have? I have dual pane windows. OK here is the problem I have with my brakes. I drive so light footed on them my toad serge brakes very seldom energize. Like I mentioned before I was trained in a Crown tandem10 spd manual. I learned how to operate large vehicles in heavy traffic conditions without having to. rely on my brakes because I was following too close. I've driven 5ver, TTs, TCs, MHs. I have never had trouble with brakes on any of them. Mechanical or air. Of course I service my vehicles.
OK you are a good driver.

Many of us cut our teeth on big rigs and are also good drivers. (cab over pete 9& 10SP)

Are you saying your position is there is no braking performance difference between the two drivetrains?

Or are you saying your wonder twin skills render any difference meaningless?

OR are you saying both?

When you are in bumper to bumper downhill traffic, braking performance matters tremendously. Especially towing.

Getting into "trouble" or having equipment problem is a different subject than braking performance.

Uncle Dave
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Ask somebody who has crossed the Continental Divide in a gas RV and in a diesel RV, that will solve your dilema for you.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Ask somebody who has crossed the Continental Divide in a gas RV and in a diesel RV, that will solve your dilema for you.

One is slower than the other. But they both get there. And some "chipped" gassers are faster.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel