Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have gas rigs pass me all the time. My cruise is set on 62. All kinds of folks pass me. But, when I get to the campground for the evening, I pull in (usually) drop the jacks, hook up the water, electric and sewer, pop the top on something nice and cold (actually the wife unscrews the top on something room temperature and mixes it with some cold over ice. I've had a real nice 4-5 hours ride in air conditioned comfort, Sirius radio (or my IPod over the surround sound), whatever I want to eat or drink out of the residential refrigerator, enjoying the great scenery of this country. It's nice and quiet up front, the engine noise is in the rear and I really can't notice the Onan running up front. Life is good. There's just something about a DP that a gasser doesn't have, and there's some nice gas MHs out there. Go try a DP, it doesn't have to be a new one, try a high end that is a few years old. Then you can make and informed decision. Everbody I know that has moved between gas and diesel has moved from gas to diesel. Not the other way.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #58

To each their own

Gas or diesel? That's the great thing about the US. To each their own. I had a gas unit, a class A Hurricane but wanted the additional weight, the engine power (live in the hills of NE Tennessee) and storage a diesel unit can offer. I didn't need any special license. I don't pay property taxes on the machine each year. We are on our second diesel pusher and love the lifestyle but have many friends who love their class A gas unit. Like I said, to each their own.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
One is slower than the other. But they both get there. And some "chipped" gassers are faster.
True, but going up is the easy part. I can come down and never touch the service brakes.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post

True, but going up is the easy part. I can come down and never touch the service brakes.
I need to lean on mine for 4 seconds each mile. Heck of a price difference though, aye?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscyRV View Post
Seems there are many used dp rigs that are a better deal than gassers, 1998 - 2005 age that may have been $130k or more new, now selling around $50k. Is this an age range where a dp hits some expensive maintenance window?
From my research prior to buying a 2000 diesel MH, the reason the price drops so drastically at 13 + years old is maintenance. Extended service contracts normally are not sold for units over 13 years old, making the risks of ownership greater. We bought a 3 yr. contract at purchase, otherwise we were declined by all but 2 companies, Good Sam and wholesalewarranties.com.
We wanted a DP for several reasons, CCC and towing capacity being the top two. Otherwise, our DP gets the same mileage as the 8.1 Chevy engine while hauling more weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi All,
Isn't this a great !!country in that we can make our on decisions on what we want to spend our money on.For us we have a gasser.We wanted to spend our retirement money on other things and our gasser gets us where we want to go.We may not get there as quick as some but, we do get there because we are not in a hurry.Good Luck to all and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.
papaw.1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #63

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
I am very happy with my Canyon Star.When I got it I planned on keeping it for 5 years and then getting a Diesel.I found out I have to get a different Drivers License to drive anything over 26000 pounds.My property taxes will go from $2000.00 now to about $5000.00 a year.Is a Diesel worth all that or should I keep my gas unit?The only problem I have with my Coach is the closest Ford dealer that works on Motorhomes is 2 hours away.
Diesels are cool. Tag axles are even cooler.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Is a Diesel worth all that or should I keep my gas unit?
I wish I had asked myself that question before I bought my then 5 year old DP 12 years ago.

Mel
'96 Safari. 132k miles, (105k mine)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #65

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Gas engines have both low compression and no exhaust braking capability.

Diesel have way more compression and staged progressively capable engine brakes, you go from Pac, to Jake to Multistage Jake.
Actually gas engines have far more compression braking than a diesel due to the high compression of a diesel. In a diesel the air mixture is compressed when the throttle is closed, and then all the energy is put right back into the crankshaft. All that shutting the throttle off on a diesel does is stop the flow of fuel, the full flow of air is still happening.
That's why they had to add a compression (engine) brake or exhaust brake to make up for the lack of compression braking
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #66

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The biggest problem I have is the Property tax a $225,000.00 Ventanna would cost me $4500.00 per year I think I read where I can buy it in Montana and register it there and save that money.
If you still own property or have a business in a state other than Montana it may not be legal to form an LLC to evade taxes. Lots of states are getting wise to that and collecting big fines in addition to the owed taxes. You need to contact a GOOD tax lawyer IN YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCE to determine if it'll work for you in your case.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #67

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
I wish I had asked myself that question before I bought my then 5 year old DP 12 years ago.

Mel
'96 Safari. 132k miles, (105k mine)
Why, would that have made a difference?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually gas engines have far more compression braking than a diesel due to the high compression of a diesel. In a diesel the air mixture is compressed when the throttle is closed, and then all the energy is put right back into the crankshaft. All that shutting the throttle off on a diesel does is stop the flow of fuel, the full flow of air is still happening.
That's why they had to add a compression (engine) brake or exhaust brake to make up for the lack of compression braking
Mr. D - great post - lots of questions

How does compression of air yield "energy to the crankshaft" without fuel?
Whats harder to compress air at 10-1 or 18-1?

The engine simply cannot receive "full flow of air" with the throttle closed with no fuel - the turbo isnt creating that "full flow" when its spooled down. The engine goes from positive to negative boost.

Its even creating a pressure difference between the intake and the exhaust at that point helping to slow the engine down - (this is a case for a turbo adding to engine braking in either case of gas or diesel)

In owning several street rods my high compression(race gas) big blocks have more engine braking than my low compression (pump gas) big blocks.

My diesel has more engine compression braking than my gasser did without using a pac, or Jake just by downshifting.

I hear the theory of what you are saying but experience tells me otherwise.

Im also not saying diesel engine braking alone is equivalent to a pac or a jake, but all my non pac / jake pickups have more raw engine braking than my gassers do.

Its not the same as what a pac/ or Jake does and closer to a gasser - for sure.

Maybe this is more applicable to a 2 stroke diesel like an early Detroit diesel lacking intake valves?

Help me out-I have wikipedia as well- can you send me to some third parties for a different perspective?

My perspective is that even though raw engine is slightly better the pac and jakes are added because raw engine doesnt perform as well as pac'd and jaked rigs full stop.

UD
Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #69

If your pulling ANY kind of trailer over 5k GVW, diesel blows ANY gasser away, torque, power, suspension...EVERYTHING. I've hauled heavy trailers with both gas (big block) and diesel...NO comparison. with one proviso.....Dura and Cummins both blow Ford away. Ford has boo-coo problems with their diesels...in particular their turbos. Ford guys will tell you "not", but talk to independent diesel mechs (more than one).
Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFPD View Post
If your pulling ANY kind of trailer over 5k GVW, diesel blows ANY gasser away, torque, power, suspension...EVERYTHING. I've hauled heavy trailers with both gas (big block) and diesel...NO comparison. with one proviso.....Dura and Cummins both blow Ford away. Ford has boo-coo problems with their diesels...in particular their turbos. Ford guys will tell you "not", but talk to independent diesel mechs (more than one).
On Fords....

The Older Ford 7.3 was an excellent engine.

The Ford 6.0 (6.blow) series- was a disaster.

the newer Ford 6.7 is gaining a solid rep.

Neither the excellent Dmax (Isuzu) nor the new Ford are equal to a Cummins.

UD

Tags
diesel