Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

Why do I want a Diesel?

I am very happy with my Canyon Star.When I got it I planned on keeping it for 5 years and then getting a Diesel.I found out I have to get a different Drivers License to drive anything over 26000 pounds.My property taxes will go from $2000.00 now to about $5000.00 a year.Is a Diesel worth all that or should I keep my gas unit?The only problem I have with my Coach is the closest Ford dealer that works on Motorhomes is 2 hours away.
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

What Ford Dealer are you having to use? I would have thought the Ford dealer on Greystone would/could work on them. I've been toying with the idea of trading and most (If not all) of the new gassers are Fords.

For how we use our MH a diesel would not be cost effective, and the ride on ours is just fine plus it's paid for, taxes are low.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

how do property taxes go up? in nd I do not pay property tax on an rv
Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
More power and a better chassis. Jim
Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

None of the Ford Dealers in Columbia will work on them you have to go to Augusta GA or Charlotte NC I know one of the big dealers in Columbia and he said it was not worth the investment he would have to make.In SC we pay Property taxes on Houses Cars RVs Boats anything you own.You have to list a RV as a second home and taxes are 6%
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
how do property taxes go up? in nd I do not pay property tax on an rv
The way I got it was because of the taxes going up he is having trouble justifying the cost of a diesel.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rodneykrantz,
I was dragged kicking and screaming into having a diesel. For me, a diesel is good for:
1. The floor plan that works for you and can not be found with a gas coach. (# of slides and length of coach)
2. The diesel coach will haul more weight than a gas coach.
3. The diesel will tow more weight than a gas coach.

That's about it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

How much are you driving? (better mileage but .....)
Are you driving many hills or larger? (climbs better)
Are you going to keep it for a while? (it is an investment, maintenance is more)
Are you in a hurry? (you can not trounce on it but you do not have to)
Do you want to drive like a truck versus car (better but not required)?
Do you tow something? (normally more power and torque)
Do you have money to put into something that you will only see a monetary return when you sell? (from around 10 premium in a pick-up to more in a Class A)

Don't get me wrong diesel is great (switched my new pick-up after 1 year) but not required by everyone.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #9

i never like the price for any Diesel parts any gas i could save with a Diesel gos out the window on a bad day

with a Diesel them days dont come around much but when they do

on ebay i can find a good used GM 8.1l for 800$ hole motor and its some thing i know i can work on

so its all in what you love and want to pay for

LOL know all the Diesel guys are going to give it to me now LOL
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

After reading countless posts and opinions on this topic (and owning a 40DP), I've come to the conclusion that the absolute BEST reason to buy a diesel is because you WANT one.

I think it's a fairly rare situation where putting pencil to paper will lead one to come to the conclusion that a DP is "worth the investment"... unless you can quantify the satisfaction that comes with owning and driving what you really want.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #11

Seems there are many used dp rigs that are a better deal than gassers, 1998 - 2005 age that may have been $130k or more new, now selling around $50k. Is this an age range where a dp hits some expensive maintenance window?
WiscyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I bought mine only because I wanted it. I figure that we only go around once so go for the "Gusto"!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
I love my gasser... From all that I can tell, it cost me 10's of thousands less in the first place. It drives great and very comfortable. It will outlive me, even though it was not new when I bought it. Gas is far less per gallon than diesel and maintenance is way far less.

I use my AmExp/Costco card and fill up at Costco from one cost to the other. I also use my Flying J card with my 6 cents per gallon discount due to having a Lifetime membership at Good Sam Club. For instance, a gallon of gas at Costco at today’s price is $3.33 per gallon of gas, and that is before my 3% cash refund I get for gas on my AmExp/Costo card. At Flying J diesel is $3.79 per gallon, unleaded is $3.35 per gallon, and that is before my 6 cent discount. Calculate that savings after driving 30K miles…. By the way, that is $15K savings just on the per gallon cost of gas...

I guess you can tell that I am a retired banker.... My kids would say I am cheap, that is what I call being practical.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We run an old Gasser too, got a decent price and would love to have a diesel. But cannot justify going into debt to be able to go up the hill 5 or 10 minutes faster. We have several years of working life ahead of us and live in Canada, so for the 10 or so weekend trips we take every year, our unit works great. When we get close to retirement and are ready to put some major miles on, then we'll look at a diesel.
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel