Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Why Do People Act This Way?

We've been involved in RVing for about ten years now. I've always thought of RVers as friendly, outgoing folks that always try to be helpful. Yet when a topic comes up that can elicit opinions it seems like some folks just have to jump all over a poster and even send nasty pm's to a poster. Really? Is that the depths to which we have sunk?

It would just make sense when someone posts a topic to which one may disagree that the opposing opinion gets posted with the reason for the opposition and that's it. Why take shots at a poster or send them nasty pm's? I don't understand the logic of making a disagreement personal in nature. We all have opinions and what we feel are sound reasons for those opinions.

Live and let live. Express your opinion and leave it at that. No need to get personal or send hate based pm's. Life's too short to be all balled up in a fitful snit just because you don't like what someone may have posted.

Ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's the nature of the beast, the "Net" beast that is. It is a wonderful tool but you can say what you like and nobody can be held accountable. The worst that will happen is that a moderator will remove your post and maybe send you a nasty PM.
The best we can do is not respond to their comments and of course never take it personally.

I have met some very nice folks here on these and some other forums. I hope to make contact with them some where in our travels just as soon as our new MH gets finished.

TeJay
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We've been involved in RVing for about ten years now. I've always thought of RVers as friendly, outgoing folks that always try to be helpful. Yet when a topic comes up that can elicit opinions it seems like some folks just have to jump all over a poster and even send nasty pm's to a poster. Really? Is that the depths to which we have sunk?

It would just make sense when someone posts a topic to which one may disagree that the opposing opinion gets posted with the reason for the opposition and that's it. Why take shots at a poster or send them nasty pm's? I don't understand the logic of making a disagreement personal in nature. We all have opinions and what we feel are sound reasons for those opinions.

Live and let live. Express your opinion and leave it at that. No need to get personal or send hate based pm's. Life's too short to be all balled up in a fitful snit just because you don't like what someone may have posted.

Ed

I have found the best way to deal with cretins is to immediately put them on the ignor list. That way you most likely will not be subjected to posts/pm's from someone who has obvious " defective" genes.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It's the nature of the beast, the "Net" beast that is. It is a wonderful tool but you can say what you like and nobody can be held accountable. The worst that will happen is that a moderator will remove your post and maybe send you a nasty PM.
The best we can do is not respond to their comments and of course never take it personally.

I have met some very nice folks here on these and some other forums. I hope to make contact with them some where in our travels just as soon as our new MH gets finished.

TeJay

TeJay,

I would have to agree that if there is one word that seems to have disappeared from our vocabulary it would be accountability. No one seems to have any accountability any more and the internet is a great place for those folks to hide. Too bad, really. It would be nice to have folks have to actually own up for their own ignorance. Maybe some day, but I really do doubt it.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
laj

sorry gentlemen, but it's going the other way fast in all aspects of life. let someone else do it for you, let someone else take responsibility for your life, let someone else be accountable and make lots of excuses why you shouldn't have to.
can't say more.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some folks get a real power trip with the anonymity when hiding behind a keyboard.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have come across a few wannabe lawyers on this forum that constantly want documentation and proof every time a controversial post is made regarding experiences, observations and real life events.

To those people, I simply state the facts as I know them and walk away.

The constant bickering and throwing darts is for kids and there are plenty of those lurking around this forum.

If you can't provide any informative and useful intelligent input to the subject and help people out with their problems then keep it to yourself.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure you all know that #1 Community Rule at iRV2 is "Be Nice." Anytime you feel that a post is out of line, please feel free to click on the red triangle "Report Post" button and a staff member will intervene if necessary. We can't be everywhere all the time, so a reported post will get attention sooner.

Likewise, there is a report button on Private Messages, so you can make sure that any rude PM is dealt with by the forum staff. You need not be subject to anyone's rudeness on the open forum or in a PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
"It would just make sense when someone posts a topic to which one may disagree that the opposing opinion gets posted with the reason for the opposition and that's it. Why take shots at a poster or send them nasty pm's? I don't understand the logic of making a disagreement personal in nature. We all have opinions and what we feel are sound reasons for those opinions. "

It is sad that this happens. If I got a nasty pm's I would copy & paste it right back in the same post it came from. Then everybody can see the fool,'s names and read the nasty pm. maybe it would help eliminate theon this form.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #10

a wise man once told me....when you argue with an idiot, you then too look like an idiot....so let the idiots go at it and sit back and enjoy them showing their.....ummmmm behinds...lol

After all if no one fuels their need to show their behind...they will tend to shut up
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We all have opinions and what we feel are sound reasons for those opinions.
Some of us still view life with passion, and react with passion.

Then there are others who tend to react to everything in life with less vigor than road kill!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
This story is about a camper and not a poster but it's along the same lines.
I have gotten along with everybody I've ever met in person or on the net, except 2 individuals. One was a neighbor and the other was a camper.

We were heading home from a visit to our Son in Utah. He was stationed at Hill AFB and had his first child about 6 weeks early. We stayed at the base and assisted he and his Wife for a few weeks. On our way home we stayed near Yellowstone. We pulled in and there was a rebuilt bus next to us. I got out and tried to figure out which picnic table was ours and there were two located between both rigs. I was trying to move one table when the owner of the other rig came out. I had also taken our dog out and staked her close and on a short leash. When the guy stepped out I did a second take on him. If there was ever a clone he was it. He physically looked, including the hair and eyes, just like Charles Manson. His first words weren't, Hey man can I help, or Hi but , "This is my picnic table and keep that GD dog away from me because all dogs bite." My comment was, "This Golden Retriever will only lick you until it hurts." The DW tried to get me into the MH before he brought his family out to do what ever she thought they were going to do. Well, needless to say we didn't have any "cum by ya" moments around the campfire that evening.

I really felt sorry for him. If life is about intimidating others by acting like a serial killer and doing it on purpose then to bad for you. They were gone when we got up the next morning. He did leave us with a lasting impression, even if it was negative.

TeJay
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #13

I was brought up to treat others as you want to be treated. It's not always easy, but I have always taken the high road so to speak. We have also instilled that in our son, and thus far at age 19 he is doing pretty well at it.
Dillinger-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #14

They act that way because they can.

They will not change.

I ignore ignorance.

Conflict is almost always fruitless.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote