Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
I dont mean to bust on you..but thats excatly what im talking about....
who cares if they look ugly as could be, as long as the owner likes it and it gets them where they are going..ex.. when i showed it too friends and people..first responds is..its ugly.does it run?, I wouldnt be caught dead in it( I wanted to say i think the same of you) but im not that mean...lol
Listen...this is no different that Sticks N Bricks or people for that matter. Do you want to live next door to or associate with a slob? What I think was being said, and what I would certainly say for MYSELF is this. You (house, MH, peronal appearance) can be old and weather worn without being a slob. OTOH, if you choose to be a slob (not saying you personally are) then I'm not going to be happy next to you.

Personally, I am not a fan of vintage stuff and that includes RVs. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate them and the owners that love them. I like my newer MH for what it allows me to have in more modern things. Others may like the vintage style and amenities. If they and their MH are not a slob, they are welcome next to me any time.

Whether you believe it or not, there are IMHO ugly RVs by design that I wouldn't want but I'm no final arbiter of fine tastes either. But, if someone rolls up to me in a beat up MH of any design that looks like it will fall apart and doesn't show any attempt to be properly maintained, well, I ain't gonna be happy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
I adored my 1974 Winnie, If some people think it was an eyesore, well you be the judge. Many good times were had in this MH.
Now that is what I am talking about.

It isn't my choice of home but it looks like it is well maintained. I'm not even talking about perfection when I say that. A neighbor with a well maintained RV that is "age appropriate" in outer condition is all I ask for. You would be welcome next to me any time.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"It is what it is."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
I adored my 1974 Winnie, If some people think it was an eyesore, well you be the judge. Many good times were had in this MH.

back in 1981 my wife, myself, and another couple went cross country in exactly the same one! It was our first experience in a MH. We did 8,000 miles in two weeks and we all had a blast in it. So for me, that style Winnie will always have a place in my heart.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #19

That is one of the great things about this country. If it satisfies me and is legal, then I can enjoy it and reap the consequences. I am careful about where I park in a shopping center as well as where I camp. Those are my decisions and if someone judges me for those cautions, then that is their right. I appreciate vintage cars, campers and RV's as well as they are cared for. I try not to be judgmental about what I consider to be junk and another man's treasure but respect my right to be cautious. I did not become 70 years old by not using due care. If that is snobbery, then so be it.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
LaZy507 for someone that just joined up less than a month ago you sure have been posting a lot.

But onto the question of older RV's. Most parks do not want RV's that have cardboard in place of windows or window AC's and garbage that has just been sitting there drawing in wild animals so the parks make rules of no RV's over 10 yrs or 15 yrs but most will do a case by case question to make sure they keep out the ones that are so run down that they are a hazard to themselves and everyone around them. Some parks have the 10 or 15 yr old rule and stick to it no matter what. What they are doing is trying to keep the ones that make more money for the parks coming back year after year. The ones that bring in more money are the ones that stay for just a night or 2 for $30 to $60 a night instead of just a few hundred for a monthly. And if you have RV's that are well not so nice looking then less and less want to stay there and the park loses money.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly
LaZy507 for someone that just joined up less than a month ago you sure have been posting a lot.
Maybe the OP has been spending his money making his rig look nice and be road worthy and has yet to purchase his iRV2 posting meter and brake control unit.

Once saw motor home using flattened cardboard boxes and bungee cords as tire covers. Classy.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #22

There is a difference between an older "vintage" motor home and a old run down, needing a bath pile of rubble. How many times have you seen an old motor home or trailer that you thought, "Man that really needs to be washed".

My Mom use to say "There is nothing to be ashamed of for being poor, but you don't have to be dirty, soap is cheap".
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
But it's paid for......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary and Norm retriving the Dolphin 011.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	777.0 KB
ID:	34094
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
NORM!

That is officially FUGLY! LOL They had to work real hard to make it that FUGLY. However...gotta love the white walls.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
I dont mean to bust on you..but thats excatly what im talking about....
who cares if they look ugly as could be, as long as the owner likes it and it gets them where they are going..ex.. when i showed it too friends and people..first responds is..its ugly.does it run?, I wouldnt be caught dead in it( I wanted to say i think the same of you) but im not that mean...lol
If 'ugly' is your choice so be it. But then you would deny all other the choice not to have to see your 'ugly'. More specifically you would deny the park owner their choice not to accept 'ugly' RVs.
As already stated it is not simply a question of age or how old but how well maintained. The owner where I work camp wants to see all RV older than 12 years before approving long term stay. The reason is simple enough. 'junk' attracts 'junk'. The proof it the park two miles away. It looks like a dump yard. We have had people which have went there paid for a month and came to us within a week even though they could not get a refund on their rent at that park. They simply did not feel safe or comfortable there.
Now if the 20 or 25 year old RV looks clean and well maintained then they are allowed to stay monthly at this park.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
If 'ugly' is your choice so be it. But then you would deny all other the choice not to have to see your 'ugly'. More specifically you would deny the park owner their choice not to accept 'ugly' RVs.
As already stated it is not simply a question of age or how old but how well maintained. The owner where I work camp wants to see all RV older than 12 years before approving long term stay. The reason is simple enough. 'junk' attracts 'junk'. The proof it the park two miles away. It looks like a dump yard. We have had people which have went there paid for a month and came to us within a week even though they could not get a refund on their rent at that park. They simply did not feel safe or comfortable there.
Now if the 20 or 25 year old RV looks clean and well maintained then they are allowed to stay monthly at this park.
That seems to be the consensus at every RV resort we have visited. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can have a 3 year old RV that looks like it rolled down a hill sideways and you can have a 30 year old RV that'll knock your socks off with its beauty!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Wondering if there is an unwritten rule as to how many times you can post as a newcomer? Or was that post meant for another reason.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsong3 View Post
Wondering if there is an unwritten rule as to how many times you can post as a newcomer? Or was that post meant for another reason.
I'm sure he was just joking around about your enthusiasm. Don't be so sensitive.

Tags
rvs