Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #43

Off topic story, but somewhat relevant?

Once there was an old woman who sat in her home and
watched her neighbors with a critical eye. She commented to her
family who visited that her neighbor’s car was always dirty.
She complained that the neighbor’s children wore dirty clothes, and
that the neighbor’s house was so dirty it needed a new coat of
paint. One day she was repeating her criticism to her daughter of
how dirty her neighbors were. The daughter got up and walked
over to her mother’s window and discovered the window itself was
filthy. When she cleaned one of the windows for her mother, it was
clear the neighbor’s house, car, and clothes were clean–the
problem was her mother’s dirty windows. That’s what a dirty
conscience can do; it not only affects the way we look at ourselves,
it affects the way we look at others.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #44

I like clean units, no matter the age. But, coming off the road, they may not be so. And I like them equally as well.
But, then, they are only showing their pride of road experience, at that point.
Mine sometimes shows such experience at times, and weariness may postpone the cleaning, usually until the destination.
But, when set up at our goal, clean happens. As it should.
And then, there is a dusty, windy day.
And then it freeking rains.
But I digress.

I like clean units, no matter the age....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
well we had a very nice winabago . and sold it and bought a 87 starfire .
friends said why did you go buy a old rv . its simple first i have bad knee
the winabago was hard to get in and out off. and to drive it ment going over the motor to drive it. the starfire sits low to the ground .no pull out step
and easy to get in drivers seat. plus it was way before its time came fully loaded we went to a park / estate campground in dec that had a 10 yr
rule. looked out the window did not say a word about age of coach. even gave us one of the best sites hear are pictures at campground thanks john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	34113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	34114  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	34115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	34116  

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
LaZy507 for someone that just joined up less than a month ago you sure have been posting a lot.

But onto the question of older RV's. Most parks do not want RV's that have cardboard in place of windows or window AC's and garbage that has just been sitting there drawing in wild animals so the parks make rules of no RV's over 10 yrs or 15 yrs but most will do a case by case question to make sure they keep out the ones that are so run down that they are a hazard to themselves and everyone around them. Some parks have the 10 or 15 yr old rule and stick to it no matter what. What they are doing is trying to keep the ones that make more money for the parks coming back year after year. The ones that bring in more money are the ones that stay for just a night or 2 for $30 to $60 a night instead of just a few hundred for a monthly. And if you have RV's that are well not so nice looking then less and less want to stay there and the park loses money.
What's wrong with a window AC. In some older units that's the only way to get AC because they were built back in the day when people were tougher and not everybody had AC. I've had units with a window AC and as long as it's mounted in the wall nicely and not held in with buji cords and 2x4's holding it up I don't see anything wrong with a window AC.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
The all mighty dollar strikes again! I'll bet the OP's money is exactly the same colour as mine.

To the OP: you would be welcome to camp next to me regardless of what your RV looks like, whether it is road worthy or not, and whether you are a 'slob' or not. I wouldn't judge you by the year, make, model or how your RV looks. We accept people for who they are, simple as that.
"What other people think of me is none of my business"...a good thing to remind ourselves of.
Well said. I agree.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
well we had a very nice winabago . and sold it and bought a 87 starfire .
friends said why did you go buy a old rv . its simple first i have bad knee
the winabago was hard to get in and out off. and to drive it ment going over the motor to drive it. the starfire sits low to the ground .no pull out step
and easy to get in drivers seat. plus it was way before its time came fully loaded we went to a park / estate campground in dec that had a 10 yr
rule. looked out the window did not say a word about age of coach. even gave us one of the best sites hear are pictures at campground thanks john
Love it. But you should have an old Mark VII as you toad so it would match.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #49

We own well maintained 92 rig - looks almost as good as new - never been questioned by any RV park. Not sure but I think rules are there to allow park owners convenience of turning away people they think won't fit in with there typical customers - that's OK with me. Not much different than rental owner selecting best tenant.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
My "discomfort" with the piles of junk shoved into RV sites in the back row never to move again, aside from the aesthetics, is more related to the warning I've gotten at the front office when checking into some of these parks. Something akin to, "Be sure to lock your door whenever you leave your rig, even if it's just to walk your dog. And don't leave anything loose outside your rig. And lock your truck, too. We've been having some theft problems......"

That's not a clientele I prefer to deal with. If that makes me a snob in someone else's eyes, so be it.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #51

You just need to make like a winnabago, put your window ac in the basement & blow the cold air up through a cardboard box. Have RV's reached a point where you can't go to an RV park because the rig is too old, but you're still paying the original note? To digress I can remember walking the marina & thinking boats with Coleman MachIII s on top of the hatches, were cheaping out because they didn't have a water cooled heat pump, but I quickley got off that high horse.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #52

We are members of a FMCA chapter that is all for owners of an old out of product coach (has been identified in this thread). Our Wagon Master had set up a rally at a camp ground he had selected from a map reference and reviews only. (While this has worked in the past, I don't suggest it.) One of our members stopped by there about two weeks before the planned rally just because it was on his way. They asked the age of his coach and he answered honestly. With that answer, they cancelled his reservation. He went out to his coach and used his laptop to get the list of those already registered for the rally and to put the word out that the rally may be cancelled and why. Then he went back into the campground office and has them cancel all of the 33 reservations for the rally.

By the time he got back to his coach, there was an E-mail waiting with the address of another campground that was expecting him. It was less expensive and nicer than the other (imho). We had to hustle the mailing to the non-e-mail members, but it worked out well.

Matt
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
We are members of a FMCA chapter that is all for owners of an old out of product coach (has been identified in this thread). Our Wagon Master had set up a rally at a camp ground he had selected from a map reference and reviews only. (While this has worked in the past, I don't suggest it.) One of our members stopped by there about two weeks before the planned rally just because it was on his way. They asked the age of his coach and he answered honestly. With that answer, they cancelled his reservation. He went out to his coach and used his laptop to get the list of those already registered for the rally and to put the word out that the rally may be cancelled and why. Then he went back into the campground office and has them cancel all of the 33 reservations for the rally.

By the time he got back to his coach, there was an E-mail waiting with the address of another campground that was expecting him. It was less expensive and nicer than the other (imho). We had to hustle the mailing to the non-e-mail members, but it worked out well.

Matt
nice!
I guess the next time they may think twice before saying no to an RV sight unseen. Good for you and glad it worked out for the better.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #54

wow, lots of post since i last long in, glad to see everyone had a comment,alot where the same comments just worded different.but thats ok. thats what i was looking for, thanks..so too reply..yes im new, yes i make alot of post..
I like to share the wealth..(my 2cents). haha..ontop of that.theres alot of new people that come everyday, and i say hi..umm OH YA i almost forgot, im redoing my 73 winnebago brave.check my threads if you like! i post all my updates,ask questions. read on info, comment on other things that i like to see/hear about..thats what this site is for.is it not? and i already got carried away and said a naughty word.I apoligize..Theres alot of info and great people on here, what can i say, im not shy and like to talk. Just cause im new i have to read and not comment?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #55

Restoring older RV's is actually rather common. For many years now RV'ers have been buying older Bluebird motorhomes, taking them back to the factory and having the interior completely torn out and rebuilt to their blueprints. He polished and buffed the exterior to a high shine and had new graphics painted on. I've seen that one guys results_fantastic!
I've never looked at someone else's RV as "poor trash". What I do look at is; here are some parents taking their kids camping, teaching them about the outdoors and our great nation, and most importantly_ keeping them away from the mindless trash of violent video games and trashy sex on television. And the kids, they DO remember those times, for the rest of their lives they will.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
My "discomfort" with the piles of junk shoved into RV sites in the back row never to move again, aside from the aesthetics, is more related to the warning I've gotten at the front office when checking into some of these parks. Something akin to, "Be sure to lock your door whenever you leave your rig, even if it's just to walk your dog. And don't leave anything loose outside your rig. And lock your truck, too. We've been having some theft problems......"

That's not a clientele I prefer to deal with. If that makes me a snob in someone else's eyes, so be it.

Rusty
That can happen anywhere, and most often it is not the RVers renting, but people from outside the park. People in older RVs are not theifs, they are RVers too.

Tags
rvs