Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Why do people frown on older model rvs?

i read alot of post of people complaining, they stayed at some place and there was a bunch of run down looking rvs there...
Not everyone has the money to just go buy the newest rv!
just cuz you do, dont make you a better person!
ima a owner of a vintage rv..yes it could use a paint job..but that dont define who i am.
Im just saying...lighting up!!
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #2

Old? Ya. Had me 2 of them. Loved em. They were grand!
Nuthin wrong with old. They are just experienced!
I get a thrill when I see vintage stuff still out there, still goin, still campin.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
laj

Especially when there clean and taken care of.
Should look like they can travel the road, not are the road.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Old Eh?

I have a fondness for old things RVs, tools, dogs, cars, trucks even people. If something has been used and is kept up I don't see anything wrong with it. I think, sometimes, we give up on stuff just to have the newest, shiniest, whoop-de-doo so we can wow somebody else. Look at the car shows; folks like the old ones as much as the new ones.

My rig is 16 yrs old still looks good runs good I might even trade for something older if it catches my fancy. I like things and people with character and experience. Some of the older RVs had some very unique features and I'm not talking about shag rugs
Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

I liked the sewage burner offered in the Cortez models. Wish we had something like that today. Just burn & dump at the same time, the gas goes out the tail pipe.

They don't offer accessories like that anymore.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
LaZy507---I'm with you. I'm happy to even have a Motor home. It's nice that they are still available to those of us with less money by getting an older unit. Lot's of us have fixed them up and tried to make them nice. We shouldn't be denied the opportunity to RV just because we can't afford a 6 figure one.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Might be mixing apples and oranges.

A run down RV is different than an older RV IMHO. I know some RV parks have restrictions on age. Not so sure "people" in general do.

I appreciate "vintage" RV's often marvel at them, anyone who would not appreciate viewing a fleet of older Grande Villas as I just did at this place where I am now is just a little too picky for me. Last year I spent two months marveling at some older GMC's that arrived in a group. One experienced a blown engine in route, they worked together to get it resolved and arrived in good shape. Same is true of a nicely kept older RV's, plenty of them around here where I am now.

But the phrase "run down" is bothersome.

What puts people off more is not the age but the care of the surroundings, and how the RV is maintained. Even a "work in progress' can be kept tidy and neat.

While all the models I mentioned were/are not the shiniest, the people kept/keep them and the surrounding area neat and uncluttered. They represent pride in what they had/have and respect for others around them. No problem.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post

A run down RV is different than an older RV.
Bingo. Age and condition are mutually exclusive. In my experience the units being referred to are those that have been pushed into an RV site never to move again, at least in one piece. These aren't RVs, they are full time immobile residences that are one step above a cardboard box.

There are RV parks that cater to this clientele and others that don't. Not everyone wants to stay at those that do - I believe that's why many individuals note the presence of these rigs.

By the way, I love the old GMC motorhomes - they were groundbreaking in their time and the restored/updated ones are still a sight to behold today, as are some of the aluminum "twinkies". Just because I don't choose to own one doesn't mean that I can't appreciate them.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Especially when there clean and taken care of.
Should look like they can travel the road, not are the road.
I dont mean to bust on you..but thats excatly what im talking about....
who cares if they look ugly as could be, as long as the owner likes it and it gets them where they are going..ex.. when i showed it too friends and people..first responds is..its ugly.does it run?, I wouldnt be caught dead in it( I wanted to say i think the same of you) but im not that mean...lol
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #10

I guess it boils down to ( dont judge a book by its cover)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post

A run down RV is different than an older RV IMHO. I know some RV parks have restrictions on age. Not so sure "people" in general do.

I appreciate "vintage" RV's often marvel at them, anyone who would not appreciate viewing a fleet of older Grande Villas as I just did at this place where I am now is just a little too picky for me. Last year I spent two months marveling at some older GMC's that arrived in a group. One experienced a blown engine in route, they worked together to get it resolved and arrived in good shape. Same is true of a nicely kept older RV's, plenty of them around here where I am now.

But the phrase "run down" is bothersome.

What puts people off more is not the age but the care of the surroundings, and how the RV is maintained. Even a "work in progress' can be kept tidy and neat.

While all the models I mentioned were/are not the shiniest, the people kept/keep them and the surrounding area neat and uncluttered. They represent pride in what they had/have and respect for others around them. No problem.
Well said!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #12

Well one man's pride and joy is another man's eyesore. That is why we have these arguments occasionally about whether you can park your RV at your residence (please don't chime in on this topic, it's been beaten to death!)

I love to see vintage RV's that have been restored. What a neat project - and it does take a good bit of talent to pull it off. If someone spent all that time and money to do that, then they probably have other good qualities and is probably a person I want to know.

But an old RV in poor condition is just a sad thing to see. Frankly I don't want to see a pile of them when I'm on vacation. Why would someone let their rig get in that condition, or let it stay that way?

In my experience, parks that have an age rule ALWAYS grant a waiver if the RV is in good shape.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

I adored my 1974 Winnie, If some people think it was an eyesore, well you be the judge. Many good times were had in this MH.

Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #14

I have no problem at all with older/vintage motorhomes. However, I do have a problem with those of the B2S variety.

Back when I had my then 22 year-old 1976 Explorer, as ugly as it was, it was kept in decent condition and nobody had to park next to or see something resembling an escapee from a recycling bin. The style is what was old, not it's functionality or ability to navigate roads safely (if a shoebox on wheels can be considered safe).

When I encounter a 'vintage' rig in decent or good condition, I'll often open a conversation with the owner and generally have a grand old time.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs