Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Wild Night In Corpus Christi

We got quite a storm. Our Park, Colonia del Rey had minor damage with branches and neglected awnings being broken. There is debris everywhere! The Naval Base FmCamp, just down the street, did not do so well. I guess they lost a new boat house and some RV's were overturned! The area still has 30,000 without power!
Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com | Couple Survives Storm In Flipped RV

motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Wow Moto...YIKES!! I am glad to hear you survived such a brutal night.

I hope you are not parked so you will get any crosswinds. I wish for quieter nights for you the rest of your time there.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Wow Moto...YIKES!! I am glad to hear you survived such a brutal night.

I hope you are not parked so you will get any crosswinds. I wish for quieter nights for you the rest of your time there.
Thanks for the good vibes Mama. It "rock N rolled" for about an hour. Sideways rain, lightning, thunder and possible tornadoes in the area. The Navy claims they had 100 mph winds. I really feel for those folks who got upended (3 rigs), a nightmare for a fulltimer. I guess some of the big trees that line the entrance into the base were downed. We are going out this evening, did not want to go this AM as figure I would have been a nuisance, and go for a run at the FamCamp next to the ocean.
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2010/06/si...RV+Business%29
Moto
Old 06-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to hear you came through OK. We stayed in the same park in October 08 and the fist night had such a wind that we pulled in our slide-outs and hoped we would stay upright for the whole night.

This was our first night of a one month stay so we went to the office in the morning to ask about the winds. The office staff said " Oh yes, it was quite breezy last night" but it wasn't unusual. Luckily it was our worst winds of the month. We did enjoy the rest of our stay.

Stay safe!

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #5

Woke up this AM and it has been an absolutely beautiful day!. Sure got an education about awnings and wind. We did not lose ours but many had them extended. There are still 20,000 without power!

Norm,
Glad you stayed here. Its a nice park with nice people. We have had two wind events of significance in two months. This one was a "grand daddy".
Moto
Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have stayed there. It is always windy, but the most we had was 45 mph when we were there. In 2007 we pulled our slides in just to keep the toppers from whacking away on the roof of the slide.

Glad you are okay. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to those who were affected with damage and injuries.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #7

They still have 8,000 folks without power! Life returned to normal pretty quick. We took a tour of the base and there was a lot of damage. In Flour Bluff we went through neighborhoods and there were some roofs and a lot of trees missing. We took some pics from a discrete distance which I am sharing here. Still a beautiful and wonderful place.
Moto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010277.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	4257  
Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

I guess it was a good thing we left Flour Bluff on Tuesday morning!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think all of that RV is going to fit in the Dumpster.

It is a shame that things like that happen. I'm concerned that there was not advanced warning and that actions could have been taken to protect the rig. If I knew a very strong storm was coming in with excessive winds, I'd try to find some building to park behind.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I guess it was a good thing we left Flour Bluff on Tuesday morning!
You had to have run into some of that storm North of us. I guess it was two storms coming together that made our big storm. You were very lucky indeed!

Wayne,
They predicted rain and thunderstorms. During the 6pM News we were told rain and wind was coming but no warnings. Concern the storm was intense was announced and the weatherbug started clicking at 1045. They broke into programming about 11PM with warnings of high wind and rough weather. The storm hit us around 1130 and tornado warnings followed to our North and East. Suddenly they announced Flour Bluff had a tornado warning which is when I awoke Carol and we waited it out together. The folks on base I bet had all gone to bed, not knowing it was intense, when the storm hit. We heard no sirens or warnings of any sort other than an alert on the TV just before. One channel had the Flour Bluff warning, another did not. They are not used to tornados here I guess and I hope they can do better with hurricanes!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #11

Holy Smokes, there are still 4000 people without power!
Moto
Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was in New Braunfels that night and San Antonio got hit pretty hard before it headed down your way.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
You had to have run into some of that storm North of us. I guess it was two storms coming together that made our big storm. You were very lucky indeed!
We must have just missed it. We had headed up to New Braunfels thru Sinton/Seguine on US 181/123/46. The weather was fine Tues night in New Braunfels but rainy on Wednesday when we left out again. Made for some nice driving (cool and overcast). If we had delayed leaving for one day, it might have been a very different story.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #14

glad your ok we stayed down the road at padrar palms july 4th 2007, 2 days of 10 in rain each day it blew us around a lot