Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Wild Turkeys

We are home in Iowa for the weekend at our house. Since we haven't been living here fulltime we have not been feeding the birds nor do we have chickens anymore so the wildlife has not been coming into the yard. We arrived home today from the store to see four hen turkeys in the yard looking for food. Of course the camera's in Wisconsin. My husband went back to the store and got some shell corn so we will seed what we can intice back into the yard. On a winters day it would not be unusual to have deer and flocks of turkeys even though we live in the middle of town.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
BE CAREFUL ..... you can wind up with a yard full of wildlife just waiting for supper every day.........

Hug a Vet....

Old 01-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is fun to watch wild turkeys, especially a to that is strutting his stuff.

Ken
Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We live in a residential area, however, not too far from wooded areas. One morning while getting ready for work I looked out the upstairs, back window and saw a flock of 17 wild turkeys walking acorss the back yard. Until then I had never seen a wild turkey.. didn't even know there were any in this part of the country (Spokane, Washington). However, I am quite familiar with Wild Turkey... my favorite, but it comes in a bottle.

We have also had a moose in the back yard, racoon, a leetle cute rabbit, and this winter tons of deer wandering through the yard, between the houses and up the street.

No reason to to live in the woods, plenty of wild life here in town.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

We live between Grants Pass, Oregon and Crescent City, CA and are very rural. We have been here about ten years and for the last two years we have had wild turkey. Last year about eight or so and this year 14 or 15. Almost impossible to count since they blend together real well and don't stop moving. We buy cracked corn and spread it around. The wild turkeys come in the morning and then late afternoon. If the corn is not out they come real close to the house and appear to be looking at us through the window as though saying "where's the corn?". Very intertaining to watch. We take off for 5 or 6 week trip and they are on there own but it doesn't take them long to figure out when we are home. This week big old Toms are really strutting and showing off feathers. Their neck and head change colors significantly during some periods of time whe they get excited or stressed. We also have deer, black bear, fox and many other forest animals.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #6

Few sights are more exciting than seeing a flock of wild turkeys. We have a ranch in Central Texas. We were riding around the fence one afternoon and happened upon the flock in these photos. Turns out there were 39 turkeys. They walked up to within about 20 yards of us. Most were hens but there were a number of young jakes too. We watched them for 30 minutes before they flew, one at a time, across the fence.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5388.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	7826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5390.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	7827  

Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

One Christmas I bought my husband a wildlife feeder that had a timer. They got pretty use to that then the city put an ordinance on feeding deer in town due to car/deer accidents. Even when the batteries went they still came down to feed on the bird seed and the chicken feed. I raised chickens with our lab. She's not allowed to go after anything with feathers so the turkeys come right to the house even when she's out. Shovel to the head and stars.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
IC2

Turkeys at our feeders have become pests scaring the rest of the critters away - birds and a few squirrels. If you would like a few, the flock in the woods behind our house is between 40 and 50

Here are a few from yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey Flock 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	7855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkeys 2011.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	7856  

Old 01-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #9

There are now more wild turkeys in the USA than when it was settled. Wild Turkeys almost became extinct due to fowl pox carried by domesticated chickens. The Fish and Game Commission crossed domestic turkeys that were immune to fowl pox with the wild ones and now the wild Turkey's are all over the USA in huge numbers. In parts of the south I have seen flocks of over a hundred at a time.

rops
Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Turkeys at our feeders have become pests scaring the rest of the critters away - birds and a few squirrels. If you would like a few, the flock in the woods behind our house is between 40 and 50

Here are a few from yesterday
Looks too cold to come there to get them. Do you deliver?

Don
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #11

I know I'll get yelled at for this. No-one is doing wildlife a favor by providing artificial feeding. In fact it is exactly the opposite.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #12

I tend to agree but we are not over feeding and the critters are not dependant on our cracked corn as the primary source nutrition. Kind of like hanging up humming bird or other bird feeders. There are times when the wild animals do need a hand out but only rarely where we live.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Looks too cold to come there to get them. Do you deliver?

Don

Sweater weather, -2 as I respond. It was only -15 last night. Good early spring RVing ------that is if I can get the 5er out of my driveway

Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We live in a Condo complex with 182 units and have suddenly gotten 10 turkeys that love our place. At first they were interesting. We put wood chips around our trees at a cost of $17,000 and hope tey last 2 years. The turkeys have cut that down to 1 year with their scratching and scattering the chips all over. We are looking for ways to eliminate them but since we are in the city we can't shoot them. My wife is an old farm girl and could clean one if they ever get close enough to wring their neck.

bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote