Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #43

Thank you BFlinn181, those are some helpful links for me. I am in transition right now, cleaning up to go full time, but the rest of the year will be doing things like you have links to.

My journey starts in CA and my mother has a largely unused house in Ohio, her hubby lives in NC, and they have places in FL. So I can use one of those as a domicile, if needed, and for the rest of the year I am thinking the TX Escapees Mail Service. I already use a PO BOX, lots of years, so much of my life except my few years in a house have been boxes.

By the end of the year I will probably change States, and use her house as Home Base when traveling gets old (hah!).

The way the year is shaping up, I have little interest in voting, but will, one reason for staying a resident (I already vote absentee).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm surprised at the vitriol aimed my way over raising the issues involved in being a full-timer. Folks seem to toss it off as 'no problem,' but in reality it can be quite complex and borderline illegal

Maybe I can help. I took your original statement to say that full timers simply don't vote and therefore are not entitled as to participate in the system. Just take your original statement, "OH, wait, if you full time you probably don't vote, so you're out of luck." Look at it this way:

OH, wait, (insert group of people here) probably don't (insert value, point of integrity etc here), so you're out of luck.

Just as you take voting very seriously, so do others and if you call into question their commitment to it, particularly simply because they are part of a group of people, they will be angry.

I think the issue that many states may appear to be attempting to disenfranchise some citizens because of their chosen lifestyle is a good one to explore, and will be helpful to folks looking for their state of residence. I think it could've been introduced without the perhaps unintended insult.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #45

[QUOTE=BFlinn181;3018754]....
I'm surprised at the vitriol aimed my way over raising the issues involved in being a full-timer. QUOTE]

I haven't seen any vitriol, just a lot of "baffle them with BS" smokescreen on your part. You linked to some very informative articles, unfortunately none of them support your initial claim.
Lets remind the folks how you started this off topic distraction by making the insulting & incorrect statement:

"OH, wait, if you full time you probably don't vote, so you're out of luck"

Those were your words and so far nothing you've said or linked supports that statement. You did your best to divert our attention away from that insult and change the subject. I see your lack of any factual defense of your initial insult, as tacit agreement.

Fulltimers who choose to register & vote, have no problems doing so in the 3 states where 98% of fulltimers domicile.
On avg fulltimers register & cast votes at approximately the same percentages as the rest of the voting public (in national elections).

I'm glad we could correct your perception of fulltimers voting habits.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #46

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post

I haven't seen any vitriol, just a lot of "baffle them with BS" smokescreen on your part. You linked to some very informative articles, unfortunately none of them support your initial claim.
Lets remind the folks how you started this off topic distraction by making the insulting & incorrect statement:

"OH, wait, if you full time you probably don't vote, so you're out of luck"

Those were your words and so far nothing you've said or linked supports that statement. You did your best to divert our attention away from that insult and change the subject. I see your lack of any factual defense of your initial insult, as tacit agreement.

Fulltimers who choose to register & vote, have no problems doing so in the 3 states where 98% of fulltimers domicile.
On avg fulltimers register & cast votes at approximately the same percentages as the rest of the voting public (in national elections).

I'm glad we could correct your perception of fulltimers voting habits.
O.K., I concede it would have been better to use a qualifier as in, "OH, wait, if you full time, some of you probably don't vote, so you're out of luck." In general, the voting percentage of Americans is horribly embarrassing for a country that touts democracy to the world.

Talking about a factual defense, I'd be very curious to see your links to the facts you cited, "3 states where 98% of fulltimers domicile.
On avg fulltimers register & cast votes at approximately the same percentages as the rest of the voting public (in national elections)."

Since the attacks on the U.S. 9/11/2001, our country has been on a track to "increase security" by increasingly restrict, document and monitor people in our nation. It should be no surprise that people who live on wheels with no fixed residence come under scrutiny. The term 'gypsy' has become a pejorative term used to describe unlicensed workers and the verb 'gyp' is derived from gypsy. For fun, check out synonyms for gypsy, or roamer, or any other term for a person without permanent address. You'll find a whole listing of words that do NOT have a good connotation. (migrant, nomad, vagabond, etc)

While I'm not suggesting full time RVers should be added to this list, it's not a stretch to see how some people could, and want further restrictions and regulations documenting such folks.

To just toss off that full time RV living is easy to do and trouble free is ignoring the complexity of the life style. In our data-driven world, more and more is tied to your location. Should your medical or auto insurance rates be changed each time you change location? Property or income tax? Location is a factor when setting rates for the above, my home owners insurance is partly based on how many feet to the nearest fire hydrant. Should an RVers' insurance change each time they relocate?

Politicians listen to the deepest pockets. How much influence do you think full timers have over the insurance industry in a politician's sphere of influence?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #47

Sometimes I wonder what will eventually be left that is legal.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #48

Self government without self discipline wont work.--Paul Harvey
Old 04-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bflynn181,
We have full timed for 3 years now, will be starting our 4th year in a couple months and we have voted in Ohio either as an absentee ballot or early ballot since we started full timing. We use Rita's sons house as our resident.
Most states could care less of where you live as long as you pay your taxes, it is the money that they are after and as long as they get the money they are happy.
Frank
Old 04-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Sometimes I wonder what will eventually be left that is legal.

Paying taxes.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #51
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some posts as well as replies to them have started to stray into the political arena have been removed, please let's not continue to go there.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Self government without self discipline wont work.--Paul Harvey
Self discipline often being defined as "do what I want, not what you want."
Old 04-17-2016, 02:44 AM   #53

If you move around enough who will know are you going to tell.

First they get to tell you what you can do on your own land. Now they're trying to tell you how you can live. What you can do with your property.

I stayed in a motel room last week and next week I'll be in my Motorhome for a night or two so I'm not living in my fifth wheel full time I split it between my Motorhome and motels when it's better to use them over thee Motorhome. The fifthwheel is just my base camp where I sleep when I'm not gone some where.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you get worried, read this:

FALSE: Tiny Homes Ban : snopes.com
Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

The problem is, if you quote snopes, you will only get a very biased and one sided story, that is written to appear unbiased.

Any research of snopes will show their bias. I will allow readers to decide which way it leans, but it is very consistent in the way it leans.

For me, a body has to have more than one source of data, and must do some research to find the truth. It rarely comes from one place.

Even my own statements, perhaps especially my own statements, are biased by my perspectives. Everyone's are.

The rules from HUD are not the same as making full timing illegal. But they are consistent to an ever expanding federal government concept where local and states rights to govern themselves are being undermined by those who seek to centralize all governmental power. It is clearly against the concept of the constitution and the idea of a union of states. The United States Constitution limits the federal government to very specific topics, and reserves all other rights to the individuals and the states. There are many inside the beltway who have tried for decades to change that.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #56

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
I would never trust snopes, not on anything they are totally a liberal view point and talking points

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

Tags
fulltime