Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will the heat be too much in Phoenix to move permanently

Thinking abut moving from Southern Calif to Scottsdale AZ.

Just not sure about being able to stand the summer heat.
I am a person who loves to work in the garage and the on the RV.

I would like to hear from others that either lived there all their life, or have moved there and how they deal with the heat.

Anyone have a air conditioned workshop..what is the cooling bill like for summer months. Looking to get out of Ca. and be able to park my RV at home and save $450/month storage.

Thanks,

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hot, hot, hot. I don't live there, but have been there many times at various times of the year, and summer is a whole lot different. You see a lot of people with outside jobs starting at sunrise and quitting noon-ish to avoid the heat. Maybe a permanent resident will chime in.

Good luck with your decision.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #3

Interesting post. We're seriously considering moving to Casa Grande, AZ.

It will be interesting to see what responses you get here.
CrossCountryNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #4

Check out this little tid-bit on info.......
Information concerning 100 degree and hotter temperatures for Phoenix, Arizona
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I once had an interview (for residency) in the Phoenix. When I drove into town in June the temp was 110F. I stopped at a gas station to borrow the hose and hosed down the dog to cool him off. Then drive on to Tucson and never showed up for the interview. I could not live in that kind of heat.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #6

You haven't told us much about what you are looking for other than getting out of CA. Consider northern AZ. Much cooler. People from Phoenix/Scottsdale have summer homes up here. We chose Sedona (4500 ft elev). You also can go all the way to Flagstaff at 8000 ft.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #7

We have lived in Tucson for five years now, having moved from North Georgia and then East Texas.

There is some time that most people do not spend days outside, though it is less than the winter inside time in the northern states. I am outside every day. I work in the yard and take walks when it is 100 degrees. My shop is insulated but not air-conditioned. Generally, the heat does not change my activity schedule much, other than early-morning walks when the temperature is expected to be more than 100.

Winter is glorious. We have been having days in the high 70s to low 80s recently. Great weather for outdoor activities.

Hot? East Texas is hot. The year before we left, we had two days that were 106 degrees. Not horrible by Arizona standards? The official humidity was 80 percent. We lived on a lake, so the humidity was closer to 90 percent. The heat index for 106 degrees and 80 percent humidity is 192. THAT is hot.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Matt & Shell,

Interesting you mention Flagstaff. The short story is our daughter was living in flagstaff, so we bought a lot there. THEN her and her husband got transferred to Scottsdale (they now have bought a home there).

Flagstaff would have been great, but now it is too far for the DW to drive there on a "Spur of the moment" desire. Anybody looking for a nice lot in flagstaff, it is up for sale

I agree, driving around AZ in the summer, I almost feel like my life is in danger if the car breaks down during the summer.

If I had a large RV garage and workshop that had decent inside temperatures, I could handle doing my outside stuff in the mornings and staying inside in the afternoons when it is 100+ degrees.

I am very spoiled by our Calif. Weather (and occasional earthquakes).

Hoping for more input from folk who live there and how they deal with the summer.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I travel to Phoenix and Scottsdale a lot, and have a very good friend that lives there.

How hot is hot? A weatherman in Phoenix summed it up one day:
Over 100 is warm
Over 110 is hot

It gets so hot that the soles of my shoes will get sticky on black pavement sometimes.

AND I LIVE IN DALLAS!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #10

Dan-

iRV2 member "FIRE UP" lives in the Lake Havasu area and has an RV garage attached to his house. If he doesn't chime in, you may want to send him a private message. Havasu to Scottsdale is not a short drive, but at least you can discuss garages.

I grew up in Maryland. Hot and humid is no fun. I live in New Hampshire. Snow removal is no fun. If a place had perfect weather all the time, everyone would want to live there, and then they'd complain about the crowds and the traffic.

No use fighting the Mrs. when she wants to be near the grandkids, though.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have lived in Havasu for 23 years. Like the man said 100 is warm 110 is hot and over 110 is damned hot. Get up early and do what needs to be done and in the house and AC in the hot part of the day. Some of us get in the motorhome and go north for July and August.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Flagstaff has lots of snow and is too cold in the winter. As for PHX, when the stores put covered parking places for their customers...it's toooo hot to live.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Matt & Shell,
If I had a large RV garage and workshop that had decent inside temperatures, I could handle doing my outside stuff in the mornings and staying inside in the afternoons when it is 100+ degrees.
We did build a large MH garage next to the house. It is a two hour drive to Scottsdale; not right around the corner, but doable for a day trip.10-15 degrees cooler than Scottsdale, and much greener.

Good luck with selling the lot in Flag, and with your decision. DW usually gets her way.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #14

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Flagstaff has lots of snow and is too cold in the winter. As for PHX, when the stores put covered parking places for their customers...it's toooo hot to live.
Flagstaff Walmart ALSO has covered parking areas : )
is it too hot there?
or is the snow too heavy there?

: )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat