Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #127

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

By the way scgator or anybody, where can I get Win 8?
Download Windows 8 Release Preview

Windows 8 Release Preview ISO formats

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #128

"As for the 'low temp solder' problem, also not really true. the problem back then was not enough heat to solder the components in correctly, resulting in a 'cold solder joint'. When the laptop heated, it expanded and the contact opened. That was why you could let the laptop 'overheat' and reflow the solder to fix it."

I do believe that is exactly what I said in my post......call it a cold solder joint if you wish; it is still an inferior connection due to the fact that you cannot use adequate heat for a satisfactory connection. Oh, and BTW..............I did mention that it is called a reflow repair.............

Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #129

Thats not really true.. When I worked at Motorola, EVERY phone was tested. And I know for a fact companies like Seagate do too.

This not the case anymore; if companies tested each and evry item that came off of its assembly lines, the end costs would be prohibitive; and at the same time, global ISO standards would be null and void. Modern production simply does not allow the luxury of a dedicated QC check. I spent a career in manufacturing management (Plant Process and Maintenance)...and have never seen every individual item QC'd.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
No takers on the DOS 3.1 comment???

That takes me back to Radio Shack TRS-80 days
Remember the Color computer?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #131

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Remember the Color computer?
Affectionately known as the CoCo? Sure do!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Affectionately known as the CoCo? Sure do!
First one I owned. Bought it because my dad had gotten one and wanted me to write him a program or two. What a PIA dealing with tape (before the disks came out).

Next thing I bought was an IBM PC AT. I really loaded it up with 640k, 1.2 mb diskette, and get this a 20 meg hard drive. It took several years to fill that sucker up. All told I think I spent about $6k on it which was after my company discount.

Being a mainframe ALC programming nerd I just had to stay with IBM and get the best...
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #133

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Thats not really true.. When I worked at Motorola, EVERY phone was tested. And I know for a fact companies like Seagate do too.

This not the case anymore; if companies tested each and evry item that came off of its assembly lines, the end costs would be prohibitive; and at the same time, global ISO standards would be null and void. Modern production simply does not allow the luxury of a dedicated QC check. I spent a career in manufacturing management (Plant Process and Maintenance)...and have never seen every individual item QC'd.
You were in the wrong industry then.. There are such things as Automatic Test Stations and they would test every single phone that came down the line. Sometime up to 3 or 4 times depending on the phone model. The final step was burning the chip...
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #134

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
"As for the 'low temp solder' problem, also not really true. the problem back then was not enough heat to solder the components in correctly, resulting in a 'cold solder joint'. When the laptop heated, it expanded and the contact opened. That was why you could let the laptop 'overheat' and reflow the solder to fix it."

I do believe that is exactly what I said in my post......call it a cold solder joint if you wish; it is still an inferior connection due to the fact that you cannot use adequate heat for a satisfactory connection. Oh, and BTW..............I did mention that it is called a reflow repair.............
Read what you said.. Low temp solder that would get hot and 'reliquify' is not the same as a cold solder joint.

Not trying to see whos is bigger, though.. just clarifying.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #135

How do I un-install Ubuntu? I deleted the partition and all instances of Ubuntu and when I try to boot, I get:

error: no such partition
Grub rescue>

I can boot to W7 with a Hiren's boot disk and when I run EasyBCD, it only shows Windows 7.

It's not that I didn't like Linux, but this version would not let me auto boot or change my password. It had the options to do so, but it wouldn't work.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #136

Never mind. I found an option in EasyBCD that restored the boot loader.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #137

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I work in Validation at Intel, so far, we are not fond of Win 8 in the PC environment. As a corporation, we stayed with Windows XP until Windows 7 came out, at which point employee PCs were upgraded, in all liklihood, this will repeat with Win8.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #138

I have dual boot with 7 & 8 on one of my laptops. I have it set to shut off when the lid is closed. It doesn't... on battery or AC.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #139

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have dual boot with 7 & 8 on one of my laptops. I have it set to shut off when the lid is closed. It doesn't... on battery or AC.
Under which operating system? Also, some laptops have a BIOS Override option for what the lid closed switch does which can take precedence over the Windows power option.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #140

No option in BIOS. 7 shuts down when I close the lid. 8 does not.