Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #141

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Win 8

Allow me to join the thread. I first started working with PCs about 28 years ago. I am retired now and just use them for personal computing. I have a desktop (Win 7 – for the wife) and a Laptop (Vista, 5 year old with 3GB Ram – for personal use). I do not proclaim to be an expert and my comments here are my opinions or reviews I have read on the web.

I have Win 8 Release Preview (release May 30) installed on my Vista Laptop (dual boot). Win 8 runs faster than Vista. It has two user interfaces, the traditional Desktop (like Vista or Win 7) and the new Metro interface, more of an Android or iPhone interface or iPad.

The Desktop interface is like the traditional Windows (but no Start button, which many people complain about). It is like a stripped down Win 7, but it boots and shuts down quicker. I have installed some Windows applications (free downloads) without any problems. Seems to be compatible with Win 7 programs. However, at this point, I see no advantage to an upgrade (Win 7 to 8).

Regarding the Metro interface, I think to really use and appreciate this, you need to have a touch screen monitor or laptop to fully take advantage of what’s in the new interface. Those of us old timers with the older hardware will be using the keyboard & mouse to try to scroll in four different directions to use the functionality native to Metro (awkward, or maybe we need to be re-trained).

Obviously, those buying new PCs later this year will get Win 8 (default OS) and they can decide which interface they want to use or they can use both and switch from one to the other. Some apps will have to be re-tooled for Metro (as of today the only browser available is Chrome).

There was mention of Linux in this thread. I have tried open source Ubuntu (Ubuntu.org), again as a dual boot on my Vista Laptop (also runs on the same PC using a virtual machine, another free download). This free distribution has a windows interface (similar to M/S Windows) is quite impressive, requires less resources and provides a library of thousands of free companion apps.

Please feel free to add your comments or questions.

Art

afrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #142

8 comes with IE. I'm an Opera browser fan and it installed fine. I would bet that FF would too. I tried Ubuntu and either didn't learn it or found things that didn't work, like changing my password.

As for the start button, just move your mouse to the upper right or lower left for a menu-like choice to come up. Click on the search magnifying glass and all the installed apps come up. I'm sure MS is going to tweak it a lot before the final release. BTW, I'm still learning the "limits" of 7. Too many "access denied"s that are not in XP, my OS of choice.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #143

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
8 comes with IE. ...

As for the start button, just move your mouse to the upper right or lower left for a menu-like choice to come up. Click on the search magnifying glass and all the installed apps come up.
I forgot about IE; haven't used it for 4 years!

Thanks for the tip on the magnifying glass.
afrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #144

I set it to Hibernate when the lid is closed and it did. I set it back to Shut down, and it Hibernates. I never understood Hibernate. Is that the same as shutting down, but resumes where you left off?

I only use IE when my other browser doesn't load the page properly. Some sites are browser specific.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #145

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I set it to Hibernate when the lid is closed and it did. I set it back to Shut down, and it Hibernates. I never understood Hibernate. Is that the same as shutting down, but resumes where you left off?

I only use IE when my other browser doesn't load the page properly. Some sites are browser specific.
Standby: System remains in a semi-powered on state, cpu and ram are drawing power to immediately resume your work, last active state is stowed in ram. If power is lost, state is lost and the system has to do a full normal restart.

Hibernate: Saves current state to hard disk and physically powers down the system, saving battery charge as the system is in a fully powered down state, but somewhat faster booting than a regular full restart as the last active state was saved to hard drive.

DeepSx or Hybrid Sleep: New technology that has come about in the last 2 years with the mass distribution of SSD hard drive technology. A hybrid of S3 (standby) and S4 (Hibernate) sleeps, in that it has a special partition at the beginning of the SSD drive that is at least as big as your current system ram.

Rather than saving the full state to the OS partition and shutting down, which is more akin to a partial reboot, the DeepSx or Hybrid Sleep (Or Rapid Resume) saves the S3 ram data to that special partition of the hard drive and then does a power off.

When the system is powered back on, the high speed capabilities of the SSD Drive immediately dump the ram memory back into place and the system resumes like an S3 sleep, skipping the need for a bios initialization (Which you get in a Hibernation), and allowing for faster boot time similar to standby, but with the power savings of hibernation.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #146

Thanks Neck. I'll start using Hibernate more often.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
It's more than enough for Win8. Win8 is less resource intensive than Win7, Vista, or XP.
Agreed up until you threw in XP, not sure where you saw that but there is no way Windows 8 uses less resources than XP but it is true that it will be less resource intensive as 7 and easily better than the hog that was Vista.

Also, it will make better use of multi-cpu's than Windows 7 does.

My gripe is they are forcing Metro on the server side as well which makes no sense at all.
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #148

I use two OS. One is WinXP and another WIndows7. No plan to get Windows 8 now. May be in 2013
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #149

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason123 View Post
I use two OS. One is WinXP and another WIndows7. No plan to get Windows 8 now. May be in 2013
Same here. I bought a notebook with Win7 yesterday to replace my netbook (which was XP) . My desktop is XP and I'll probably wait until 2013 to replace it because I will have to replace the entire computer. I'll load Win7 on it as well (I'll probably buy Win7 soon while it's still available and just sit on it until I build the new machine).
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #150

What's gonna happen to the W8 "Release Preview" I have dual booting with W7 on one of my lappers? Is it going to implode at a certain date?

Played with one of these at Sam's today. Tempting, but I don't need another toy.

Dell Inspiron One 2320 Desktop Intel® Pentium® G630, 1TB, 23" Multi-touch - Sam's Club
Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #151

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
What's gonna happen to the W8 "Release Preview" I have dual booting with W7 on one of my lappers? Is it going to implode at a certain date?

Played with one of these at Sam's today. Tempting, but I don't need another toy.

Dell Inspiron One 2320 Desktop Intel® Pentium® G630, 1TB, 23" Multi-touch - Sam's Club
All the current preview versions of win 8 have a set expiration date before they no longer work.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #152

Thx Neck... Figured that. I paid for 7, so I might as well get my $$s worth.