Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #113

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Sniff... Sniff... Smells like Amsoil around here.
Oh no you didn't!!!

I installed Win 8 months ago when it first hit the testers . I dual boot with Umbuntu and Windows 8

www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #114

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
WOW !!! haven't heard Commodore 64 in a while.........that was my first computer...
I also still have two 3.5" and one 8" floppy drives, and accelerator cartridge, RAM expansion module, and tons of software and magazines on disk.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anybody remember a Wang computer? It was one of the first I used in a work place. You loaded the program from a cassette, they typed in the numbers and info.
All hooked up to the slowest noisiest printer I ever saw.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #116

I remember pushing in 64k chips into a motherboard when I first opened my computer business and I still know how to program in DOS. Does that make me old?
Does HATING Win7 make me a bigot? Does thinking Microshit is great and yet the devil itself make me dyslectic? Does viewing XP as a new system everyday make me Alzheimer?

I just don't know.... but I do know if X = 5 and gotitright =0 then you = sheethead....
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #117

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Anybody remember a Wang computer?...
I do remember my boss telling me to source him a new Wang because he couldn't get his old one to come up anymore.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
LOL ! I bet many of us here are having the same problem!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #119

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I do remember my boss telling me to source him a new Wang because he couldn't get his old one to come up anymore.
Groan!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #120

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Apple's model is solid. Create a rabid fanbase through marketing, have a robust support network, charge a premium, obsolete quickly. The rabid fanbase is always hungry to have the latest/greatest iGadget.

Microsoft's model is more complex, but equally genious. Early on, Microsoft's plan was to be THE operating system installed on every PC. Once they achieved that 90%+ dominance, their model shifted to drive upgrades. They do this primarily through forward incompatibility and constantly degrading performance.

It is possible to get bang for buck with either platform, if you know how. Apple and MS both make good products that are THE BEST for given applications, but if anyone thinks the commercial software companies have any interest in producing a stable products that will last forever, you're kidding yourself. They survive on sales. They do what they have to to drive sales. That means forcing you to upgrade, period.
Dont know what you mean by 'forward incompatibility'.. Yes, when XP came out, some older hardware wouldn't work correctly, but they could be made too, and that equipment could run run Dos to NT with no problems at all. I have a computer right now built in early 2004 with a Pentium4 HT and 875 chipset running Win7 Pro AND dual boots into Win8. THATS forward compatibility.

Try that on a 2004 G4 powered Mac..
Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #121

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
No takers on the DOS 3.1 comment???
I missed it??

You saying you still run Dos? Ok.. I believe ya.. I could do it too..
Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
You are right here
That isn't completely true. Macs are better than many, if not most, Windows machines because they use better parts. The same parts are available for Windows machine but, to cut prices, not everyone uses the better parts. A Windows machine that is equal in quality to a Mac will cost less, however.

Manufacturing processes are this: manufactured components are normally tested randomly in a "lot" or production run. This means that "every so often" a component is pulled and tested to see if it is valid; This is the normal procedure for almost all manufacturing in the world. The other side of the coin is "every" component in the process is tested as it is made. If Seagate is making hard drives, they will test at random, unless the "buyer" wants to pay the extra cost of individual testing and verification as the process goes along. It is easy to see how this can be disastrous to your final costs of your product. It is the process that Mac has chosen, and this is one of the reasons for higher end costs. Howevr, quality control measures in place with ISO rated companies is such that it is really not necessary as the amount overall of units that fail is really minor.

What "kills" companies like HP, for example, is several years ago, they adapted a graphics card to the motherboard of the Touchpad laptop that was not part of the original design; in order to use the graphics card that they already had in inventory, it was adapted and soldered to the mobo with low-temp solder; the low temp was used to prevent damage to surrounding components as this was a retrofit mod. End results were that it worked for a while. As system temps increased, the solder began to liquify thus opening the contact point, and as a result screen failure. Ironically the cure for this at the street level was to turn the laptop over (while it is turned on), and insert a paper clip into the cooling fan so that it stops and the laptop will heat up for about ten minutes......as it heats up the solder again liquifies and "reflows" down into the contact socket and as you let it cool, it reconnects the graphics card. These are the kinds of things we say ......can bite you in the rear

If you ever hear of anyone doing a "reflow repair" this is what they are doing...........
Thats not really true.. When I worked at Motorola, EVERY phone was tested. And I know for a fact companies like Seagate do too..

As for the 'low temp solder' problem, also not really true. the problem back then was not enough heat to solder the components in correctly, resulting in a 'cold solder joint'. When the laptop heated, it expanded and the contact opened. That was why you could let the laptop 'overheat' and reflow the solder to fix it. Samsung had a similar problem with its DCiE chip in the video circuit using a ball-grid-array design. The trick there was to stack a bunch of quarters in the chip while heating it with a heatgun. The second part of that problem was why the laptop heated up as much as it did in the first place - the bad design of the fan placement. If you notice, the fan has been moved from the bottom.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #123

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Will it also work with W7?
Yes.. you can dual boot Win7
Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #124

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Did you even bother to read this link from a company who makes money selling virus protection. I bothered to actually read the first two posts, and all I could find was links to a mac rumors site, and the next question was whether or not a Mac could actually get the virus in question. The moderator said NO, it was impossible for the MAC TO GET THIS VIRUS. Mac can carry a virus but will not get infected.

I took the time to read the first couple of items, after which I could not see any reason to go further.

I would read links before I post them. They are false and misleading, I posted that I never have had one minutes problem with any of my macs in 14 years. I also posted of an extensive experience (since 1983) with Microsoft. You choose to post, and I quote, "BS". And "BSx2" in effect calling me a liar.

This is exactly how people try to defend indefensible positions.
Sigh.. just do a search.. The problem with Apple is they do NOT TELL YOU when you have a problem. They hide it.

Flashback was a bad one.. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/.../rotten-apples

Not calling you a liar.. just BS on the 'Mac is invincible' attitude..
Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #125

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I was thinking that myself.

Difference is, I don't care if you run linux or not. I'm a huge linux fan, I work in IT, I support and endorse all platforms, and I'm happy to answer questions if I can. I make no profit from these postings.

Linux is not for everyone. Amsoil is the best thing since sliced bread. Successful linux users need to be power users. Amsoil is tasty when spread on toast, and makes a great marinade. Probably 2/3 of the people on this forum should not attempt to install linux. Amsoil is a must-have for everyone, regardless of age, and makes a great tricycle wheel lube.

I dont care what people run.. Just dont be on a high horse when you do it..
Old 06-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #126

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Dont know what you mean by 'forward incompatibility'...
MS has two flagship products for the consumer market. An operating system (Windows) and an office suite (Office). MS must drive people to upgrade to fuel their business model.

For Office, "forward incompatibility" refers to the inability of older versions to open files created in newer versions of the software, in essence forcing an upgrade requirement. This is their prime strategy for driving upgrades with Office.

For instance, if you're running Office 97, and someone sends you a file they created in Office 2003, you can't open it.

There are ways around it (compatibility packs, asking the file creator to save the file in an older format, etc), but it is designed to encourage people to abandon their existing software investment, and buy upgrades.

Now, the official MS line is "There are new features in the newer format that make it incompatible with the older versions.", which is BS. If that were true, they wouldn't be able to offer a compatibility patch to make it open.

If they didn't want to inconvenience users of older versions, they'd push out the compatibility pack ahead of the new version release as part of the regular Tuesday windows update. But they don't.

99% of Office users never use 99% of the features in Office. MS can't depend on "exciting new features" to sell their product, so they have to drive upgrades in other ways. For Office, that means forward incompatibility. For Windows, it means consistently degrading performance.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote