Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Windows 8

......trying out Windows 8 Professional this week on my laptop; so far it looks pretty good. It's too early to say if Microsoft hit the mark, but, I like the look and feel of it. A plus is integrated antivirus that is part of the operating system. It looks to me that Microsoft is finally coming around with some of the apps that make life easier for those who spend a lot of time on the computer.

One thing I did notice is that it is much faster in response time when doing anything now; almost like I had bumped up the memory.

BTW: this is the Windows 8 Preview Edition for evaluation; it is not a final product, but it is certainly gaining my favor.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
The latest reports, including users who have tried it, I've seen have not been encouraging. Win8 is very well suited for tablets but is poorly suited for use on desktops and even laptops, especially for people who frequently work with multiple windows and multiple monitors. The last press release from Microsnot states that the final release will ensure that people will not be able to restore the start menu. for me, the Metro UI would be clunky (heck, I never like icons and they went and came up with the bulky tiles), requiring far more time to find an app and open it than using the Quick Launch menu or the Start Menu. I often have as many as eight windows open (with the trash can still showing in the lower right corner) on my 22" monitor, something that will not happen with Win8.

Unless Microsnot gets a clue and restores production functionality to Win8, it will become another Vista and Microsnot will lose the business market again like it did when Vista came out and businesses (as well as many home users) stayed with XP.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just bought a new laptop last week, Intel i7, 8 GB ram and a 1TB drive. I wonder if that's enough for Win 8?
As an IT professional I used to do a lot of product testing, right down to keeping two desktop's at home for testing only. Now I just don't want to play with the "latest-greatest" I just want stuff to work!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm happy with what I have in Win 7 for the laptop.

My next laptop, when I hit the jackpot, will be a MACBook, or equivalent.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I just bought a new laptop last week, Intel i7, 8 GB ram and a 1TB drive. I wonder if that's enough for Win 8?
As an IT professional I used to do a lot of product testing, right down to keeping two desktop's at home for testing only. Now I just don't want to play with the "latest-greatest" I just want stuff to work!!
It's more than enough for Win8. Win8 is less resource intensive than Win7, Vista, or XP.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
The latest reports, including users who have tried it, I've seen have not been encouraging. Win8 is very well suited for tablets but is poorly suited for use on desktops and even laptops, especially for people who frequently work with multiple windows and multiple monitors. The last press release from Microsnot states that the final release will ensure that people will not be able to restore the start menu. for me, the Metro UI would be clunky (heck, I never like icons and they went and came up with the bulky tiles), requiring far more time to find an app and open it than using the Quick Launch menu or the Start Menu. I often have as many as eight windows open (with the trash can still showing in the lower right corner) on my 22" monitor, something that will not happen with Win8.

Unless Microsnot gets a clue and restores production functionality to Win8, it will become another Vista and Microsnot will lose the business market again like it did when Vista came out and businesses (as well as many home users) stayed with XP.
It's simple, just install W8 and keep your current settings and you can access both. It is a more suitable program for tablets and the like; but that is the way the market is going. "We" cannot expect a company to not follow market trends that will help insure their stability. I am not a fan of tablets either, but, I know that eventually that is where we will all end up. I have not had any serious issues with "8" yet; other than it is a new learning curve, that is probably not an issue at all to those who already use tablets, touch screens and the like.

Us "old dogs" don't like change, but, change will come. And as for myself, usually I find that what I once balked at generally turns out for the better if I give it a chance. I seem to be more upset about changing than the effects of it.

BTW: You can still access Windows XP mode with it..........
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
It's simple, just install W8 and keep your current settings and you can access both. It is a more suitable program for tablets and the like; but that is the way the market is going. "We" cannot expect a company to not follow market trends that will help insure their stability. I am not a fan of tablets either, but, I know that eventually that is where we will all end up. I have not had any serious issues with "8" yet; other than it is a new learning curve, that is probably not an issue at all to those who already use tablets, touch screens and the like.

Us "old dogs" don't like change, but, change will come. And as for myself, usually I find that what I once balked at generally turns out for the better if I give it a chance. I seem to be more upset about changing than the effects of it.

BTW: You can still access Windows XP mode with it..........
Tablets just don't have enough screen area for serious use, such as business use, not to mention the lack of a keyboard. I do music notation on computers. There is no accurate way to quickly do so with a tiny touch screen instead of a keyboard and mouse. There is no practical way to do serious word processing or desktop publishing on a tablet. With present technology, there is no practical way to get the hard drive capacity of a desktop or even a laptop with a tablet (my next PC will have room for six 3.5" data HDs, one 2.5" boot drive, and both a 2.5" and 3.5" dock for backing up to internal harddrives externally). Tablets are a long time away from being able to perform desktop functions such as Home Theater PCs, video editing, serious photo editing, etc. Tablets have a niche where extreme portability is important and the demands are light. They have pretty much replaced netbooks but they are not likely to replace most desktops or laptops anytime soon, if ever. Any manufacturer who thinks otherwise is in for a big surprise.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

I have already decided I will not get another computer and run Windows. When Microsoft ends support for XP I will either install Linux or buy an Apple computer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

Still running Windows 95 here, works fine ............
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would say over 90% of home computer users need nothing more than a tablet. If you really need a keyboard for high amounts of input, you can add one. In fact most of us on here fall into that category.

if you are a power user, you will always need a desktop or laptop. I have seen some very good video and photo editing with a tablet.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have already decided I will not get another computer and run Windows. When Microsoft ends support for XP I will either install Linux or buy an Apple computer.
Because of some of the software I use, Linux is not an option. I won't buy into Apple's walled garden (plus some of my software doesn't have an Apple version). By the time XP gives its last gasp, I will have switched over to Win7 and will stick with it until MS wakes up, realizes what a turkey Win8 in its present form is, and puts out a better version that is suitable for serious users as well as tablet users.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:

You can turn off Metro..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
You can turn off Metro..
There is still no Start menu or Quick Launch tray.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
There is still no Start menu or Quick Launch tray.

.....Beg to differ; there is, but not in the traditional sense that Windows users have grown used to; we have to keep in mind that W8 is moving "us" towards tablets, and the like. If you think of it like a smartphone or tablet application, it becomes very easy to navigate...........